The Song Every Drummer Tries to Play But We All Play it Wrong

Well, first of all that guy at GC thinks every drummer plays that song so he's out of his mind to begin with.
The song I've never heard any drummer get right is Rush Freewill, namely the bridge/guitar solo, and specifically the fill at 3:39

This is the guy who is the manager and he even says this in the video here at 25:40 approx.

Ok, this makes more sense now. The GC manager is the drummer for the band New England.
Either he's just messing with you, or he's got the ego of......well, a lot of musicians I've met.

Since he's so hung up on everyone not only trying to play it, but playing the intro wrong, the next time you see him, show him this and ask him if the correct way to play it is by accidentally hitting your ride cymbal in the intro fill. ;)

Well I won't do that because he is pretty mad all the time even when you don't try anything. Usually I don't but I buy sticks and heads and sometimes other things as well. I can't buy a drum set without my parents because on the train I take it would get stoled.

Why is the Pearl logo sideways there? Is that just a mistake from the road crew? I bought a CD from him he was selling but it was not my type of music but a lot of talent and everything. I'm more into the older rock stuff.

Well I won't do that because he is pretty mad all the time even when you don't try anything. Usually I don't but I buy sticks and heads and sometimes other things as well. I can't buy a drum set without my parents because on the train I take it would get stoled.

Why is the Pearl logo sideways there? Is that just a mistake from the road crew? I bought a CD from him he was selling but it was not my type of music but a lot of talent and everything. I'm more into the older rock stuff.

Well, it sounds like he's a real ass-hat. He's probably bitter about having to be a GC manager instead of being the rockstar he thinks he is. Narcisistic egomaniacs are typically not friendly people to those they think are lesser than themselves.
Don't let him discourage you, though......... and get your parents to take you to a different drum shop if you can. Or order your stuff online if you don't need to try it out. Guys like that shouldn't be in retail at all. And he does have a boss, although it's likely a "district manager" that isn't there to see the day-to-day operations so it's unlikely you'd get to talk to him personally. You may find an email address that you could write to to complain about his attitude, though. Some companies appreciate feedback like that if they don't know how their staff treat their customers.

As for the sideways drum head...... I have no idea why people do that. There is no way it's unintentional. I think some people have an attitude of "I'm such a great drummer that I don't care what my kit looks like" to the point of deliberately making it look goofy.

Ok, this makes more sense now. The GC manager is the drummer for the band New England.
Either he's just messing with you, or he's got the ego of......well, a lot of musicians I've met.

I was initially confused as well. I have never heard of this song or the band. I was thinking how odd it was that this manager was just randomly bringing up this song to other drummers, but it makes sense now.

I couldn't find a single drum cover of it on youtube. who exactly is playing it wrong?

I was initially confused as well. I have never heard of this song or the band. I was thinking how odd it was that this manager was just randomly bringing up this song to other drummers, but it makes sense now.

I couldn't find a single drum cover of it on youtube. who exactly is playing it wrong?
No one’s playing it right because no one is playing it—period (except for that ass hat of a manager).

Just ignore him next time you go there. Or better yet, beg your parents to drive you up to the Drum Center of Portsmouth. That’s probably the best drum shop in the US, and it’s not far from Boston.

Last edited:
Yeah I can't order online because I don't have a credit card and this store is across from Berklee College when I want to go when I'm older. I like to look at drums but he has said to a lot of people every drummer can't play this song Don't Ever Wanna Lose Ya'. I am almost there hopefully it makes him let me try the electronic things out or new sticks when I buy them,...

Well he told me every drummer in the world plays it and in the video he says they do and all play it wrong. Mr. Gardener is a good drummer with success but he should be more nice to his paying customers. I bought my drum set from Guitar Center.

Here is when I got it last year

Sorry my mom said the picture i can not put here with me in it. i will put my drums alone later. :)

Last edited:
I'm an old fart and I've never heard of the band or the song. Sounds like your everyday garden variety arena rock wannabe band. Back in 1979 when this song first came out I was too busy trying to emulate guys like Terry Bozzio, Dennis Chambers, Vinnie Colaiuta, Bonham, Gadd, Porcaro. I've never in my entire life ever heard of Hirsch Gardner. I wouldn't stress about some music store schlub giving you grief about a drummer no one has ever heard of from a band that no one has ever heard of. Frankly, music store schlubs should be helping you feel good about yourself and your playing so you'll buy more stuff. How does beating someone down encourage someone to play and buy equipment? If I were a psychologist I would say that this guy's problem is that he's frustrated with his own situation. Maybe he can't find a band or gig of his own and is thinking that all he'll ever amount to is a sales guy at Guitar Center. Who know's what the guy's problem is. Bottom line is whatever that guy says doesn't matter. The whole idea behind music is you play to your strengths and you try to bring a little piece of yourself to whatever music you play. Sure, it's helpful to know and be able to play a tune as close to the way the original guy played it. But that really only applies to music that is known the world over. Zeppelin. Hendrix. Journey (both Aynsley Dunbar and Steve Smith are badass drummers). The list is infinite. Anyway, no one is playing this tune wrong because no one is playing it period.

all Rush...

...andI am guilty of having done it since 1978. I can play along to about 80% of the grooves, and 30% of the fills, and I love every minute of it. I still, at 51, am living a fantasy that I am in the band...

I had never heard of it, or the band New England, until this thread, so I wouldn't say that every drummer in the world tries to play it. It's very straight forward and wouldn't be very difficult to play even for a noobie.

which is probably why it gets a lot of air time at GC

Also I do not like the song but he said it is the only song kids are allowed to try out on the drums and no matter what he says it's wrong. Usually I like to play Rip it Up by Ace to try out drums.

He even told me to go to the other Guitar Center because I didn't know the song. That is a long walk from the one I was at all the way across Boston.They are nice over there but it's far from the train for me vs the one he is at so I am needing help to play this song correct.
The manager is obviously just having fun with this. Don't take it personally. Spend less time at GC and more time practicing.

It sure makes a lot more sense if this is the case. Otherwise it's really bizarre. Also the word bizarre is weird.

Ha I used to work for Hirsh! Is he still at the Guitar Center on Mass Ave? Cause I helped him open that store back in 2012. Hirsh was a great manager, and he's just messing with you. And if he's still at store 599 that's pretty much his home; he was the manager at the Daddy's Junky Music in that same location for like twenty years before that whole chain went belly up and GC got that location. I super highly doubt he'd actually tell someone to leave his store.

Ha I used to work for Hirsh! Is he still at the Guitar Center on Mass Ave? Cause I helped him open that store back in 2012. Hirsh was a great manager, and he's just messing with you. And if he's still at store 599 that's pretty much his home; he was the manager at the Daddy's Junky Music in that same location for like twenty years before that whole chain went belly up and GC got that location. I super highly doubt he'd actually tell someone to leave his store.

Yes can you please ask him to stop yelling at me I just buy sticks and sometimes heads but like to try out the sticks after i buy them on the electrc kit because i want to buy one as soon as i have $75 more dollars about. Thank you!

Ludwig Rocker who plays GretschCatalinas

PS I do not go to the store and not buy anything even if it's just something small for $5.

Back