The Song Every Drummer Tries to Play But We All Play it Wrong

Hi Everyone,

I am a new drummer and have been told by the guy at Guitar Center that every drummer in the world tries to play Don't Ever Wanna Lose Ya' and we all play it wrong. I have been taking lessons for over one year and I play four or five hours every day. I am not into new music and mostly like to play Led Zeppelin, Rush, GnR, Kiss and the like.

The manager at Guitar Center where I live always gives me a hard time when I go in there about this. Does anyone know how to play this song? What is the secret to it? I am open to all clues and I am 13 years old with a sweet Ludwig kit. Last time I went in I tried to play the V drums and he screamed at me to get away from the drums even though I bought two pair of sticks and wanted to try them out after buying them.

Hi Everyone,

I am a new drummer and have been told by the guy at Guitar Center that every drummer in the world tries to play Don't Ever Wanna Lose Ya' and we all play it wrong. I have been taking lessons for over one year and I play four or five hours every day. I am not into new music and mostly like to play Led Zeppelin, Rush, GnR, Kiss and the like.

I had never heard of it, or the band New England, until this thread, so I wouldn't say that every drummer in the world tries to play it. It's very straight forward and wouldn't be very difficult to play even for a noobie.

I've never heard of it either. But I'm an old rocker so there you have it

Hi Everyone,

The manager at Guitar Center where I live always gives me a hard time when I go in there about this. Does anyone know how to play this song? What is the secret to it? I am open to all clues and I am 13 years old with a sweet Ludwig kit. Last time I went in I tried to play the V drums and he screamed at me to get away from the drums even though I bought two pair of sticks and wanted to try them out after buying them.
There is no right or wrong way to play music. There are those of the opinion that if you're not playing note for note like the original then you're not playing the music correctly. That is complete and utter BS. Music is emotional, therefore even the person who "wrote" the music is not going to play it note for note every time it's played. You think Peart played the exact same drum parts every time he played a Rush tune? Hell no. Don't fall into the trap of trying to be Neal Peart, Jon Bonham, Keith Moon, Buddy Rich, "Turtle" Morgan, Bob Portanello, or any other drummer you can name. Listen to them, learn their rhythms, and apply that knowledge the way you feel it needs to be presented. My favorite quote ever is from Keith Moon who said "I'm the best Keith Moon style drummer in the world." NOW....it's up to you to be the best LudwigRocker style drummer in the world.

Sounds like the manager is shell shocked from all the noise in GC lol

X2. He’s got that chain music store PTSD from all the “playing” of instruments .
“Imagine” playing an actual instrument in an actual music store lol !

OP, I never heard the song as far as I know ?. I’ll have to check it out . But , play it as you like as long as it’s basically true to the song . If some like to play things note for note and not “wrong” , then get the sheet music and learn it ??‍♂️. To each their own though ??

Also had to look the song up, I'd never heard it before. I agree that it's very straight ahead, maybe the triplet fills sound difficult, but they're really not.

As for someone playing the drum part in Guitar Center, I don't think I've ever heard someone play a straight beat!

There is no right or wrong way to play music. There are those of the opinion that if you're not playing note for note like the original then you're not playing the music correctly. That is complete and utter BS. Music is emotional, therefore even the person who "wrote" the music is not going to play it note for note every time it's played. You think Peart played the exact same drum parts every time he played a Rush tune? Hell no. Don't fall into the trap of trying to be Neal Peart, Jon Bonham, Keith Moon, Buddy Rich, "Turtle" Morgan, Bob Portanello, or any other drummer you can name. Listen to them, learn their rhythms, and apply that knowledge the way you feel it needs to be presented. My favorite quote ever is from Keith Moon who said "I'm the best Keith Moon style drummer in the world." NOW....it's up to you to be the best LudwigRocker style drummer in the world.

Our approaches toward covers are identical, John. Each cover is an interpretation and should bear the signature of the drummer who interprets it. I've actually performed a few covers live without ever having heard the original versions. No one (absolutely no one) has ever approached me after a show and said, "Man, you really botched those drum parts." There's nothing wrong with infusing your own personality into a cover.

Also had to look the song up, I'd never heard it before. I agree that it's very straight ahead, maybe the triplet fills sound difficult, but they're really not.

As for someone playing the drum part in Guitar Center, I don't think I've ever heard someone play a straight beat!

Ha! Dead on. Most drummers who sit down behind kits in retail shops are out for one thing: shameless attention. They either solo at heart-attack rates or insert thirty fills for every groove they attempt. Witnessing such demonstrations can be painful. It's a good argument for ordering equipment online.

He'll have to change his name...........

Doh! I didn't even see that.

Do you guys think he meant Zep's "Babe I'm gonna leave you?" Not that I've cared to try it myself. I'm just trying to figure out why anyone would claim that all drummers try to play such an obscure song when none of us old timer drummers have even heard of it.
Or is the GC manager just f'-ing with the new guy?

Be cool when you go to the Guitar Center and don’t play the instruments. If you’re there to buy an instrument, ok, try things out. But if you have no intention to buy anything, don’t play anything. Practice at home and get a gig to display what you’ve practiced at home.

Aww, come on..........I learned the intro to Stairway to Heaven on guitar just so I could do that. :devilish:

Aww, come on..........I learned the intro to Stairway to Heaven on guitar just so I could do that. :devilish:
You broke Rule #1: NO STAIRWAY!

I think coming in at a close second was “Sweet Child o mine”. Eek!

I encourage everyone, if they can, to make a trip to Pro Drum in Hollywood if you want to see a real drum shop in action. They’re playing jazz music and nobody plays ANYTHING! They have a cymbal closet you can lock yourself in to to try cymbals so nobody has to hear you. But in reality, the guys who go there are busy and they’re picking up stuff and chatting a bit to catch up with each other. When the owner can yell at Vinnie Colaiuta about not practicing enough (a joke) you tend to not want to display what you don’t know, you know? ?

Usually I don't play the instruments but this was an electric kit I am considering buying this for my practice. My mom and dad want me to get the electric kit because they are both working from home right now and my sister is home too. If I get half the money I can get them and I have been cutting grass and stuff to earn it from my neighbors.

This is the guy who is the manager and he even says this in the video here at 25:40 approx.

Also I do not like the song but he said it is the only song kids are allowed to try out on the drums and no matter what he says it's wrong. Usually I like to play Rip it Up by Ace to try out drums.

He even told me to go to the other Guitar Center because I didn't know the song. That is a long walk from the one I was at all the way across Boston.They are nice over there but it's far from the train for me vs the one he is at so I am needing help to play this song correct.

Also I do not like the song but he said it is the only song kids are allowed to try out on the drums and no matter what he says it's wrong. Usually I like to play Rip it Up by Ace to try out drums.

He even told me to go to the other Guitar Center because I didn't know the song. That is a long walk from the one I was at all the way across Boston.They are nice over there but it's far from the train for me vs the one he is at so I am needing help to play this song correct.

The manager is obviously just having fun with this. Don't take it personally. Spend less time at GC and more time practicing.

Back