The Snare Drum Virtuoso Podcast - Discussing the Rudiments

Jonathan Curtis

Silver Member
Hi all,

Episode 2 of the SDV Podcast is available now.

My main topic of discussion here is, of course the rudiments. I aim to present a coherent account of how we might better understand and conceptualise the rudiments, and view them in a much broader light.

My main argument is that we should not see the rudiments as a prescriptive set of simple patterns that we should be using or practising, but as a comprehensive conceptual description of the way we are able to play the drum. Having been developed and refined over hundreds of years of history, the rudiments represent conceptual descriptions of the different ways to play figures, produce accents and, ultimately, play music on the snare drum (and, by extension, the drum kit).

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter after you've given the episode a listen.

Best wishes,
Jonathan

Hi all,

Episode 2 of the SDV Podcast is available now.

My main topic of discussion here is, of course the rudiments. I aim to present a coherent account of how we might better understand and conceptualise the rudiments, and view them in a much broader light.

My main argument is that we should not see the rudiments as a prescriptive set of simple patterns that we should be using or practising, but as a comprehensive conceptual description of the way we are able to play the drum. Having been developed and refined over hundreds of years of history, the rudiments represent conceptual descriptions of the different ways to play figures, produce accents and, ultimately, play music on the snare drum (and, by extension, the drum kit).

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter after you've given the episode a listen.

Best wishes,
Jonathan
Will you be uploading to YouTube at any point mate? :unsure: :)(y)

Back