The Slapstik - My Review.

BattleArmor

Silver Member
Well yesterday I recieved my free sample Slapstik [only one] and have beeen using it. I did this as unbiased as possible, and with no earlier info. [specs.] about it.Here is my pormised Review :

Features:

First thought out of the box was, "Wow this thing is long". Its about 17 inches including the extended plastic tip. It is about 5A thickness, which is easier for me, already having another regular 5A stick to play with. The plastic tip is about one inch and a half long, and is connected to the stick by some sort of gel tube. After that is the actual "tip" of the stick which is a monster barrel tip. The stick basically has no shaft after that, and continues like this to the end. It is also surpisingly light, but front [meaning where the tip is] heavy which is to be expected, but also moves the fulcrum of the stick foward.

Playability:

Definately takes a little getting used to. Also, I needed to ajust my kit a bit, to compensate for the extra long stick, and for what I was trying to accomplish with the tip. Since a generally play with my Hi Hat a little bit lower, I needed to heighten that, along with making my cymbals more horizantal [meaning more parallel to the floor] to try to get that extra up stroke. It has a bit of a brighter sound on the crash cymbals. But to get actual definition from the up stroke, you would need to hit it softly, because the cymbals build up on volume. I found I was getting anywhere from 2-3 clear strokes on my normal hitting stength if you will, and I don't play all that hard. The Hi hat is a story in itself. Definately a lack in "chick" sound there. The Hi hat kind of buzzed for a half a sec. longer. This is really the only cymbal that I could see being used on a normal masis with the stick. Getting clear up and down strokes DEFINATELY takes getting used too. The Ride is a somewhat lost cause. Since the plastic moveable tip just slides into the ride, I had to use the monster barrel which produced just a massive cymbal wash. The only other thing to do was to USE the tip on the edge of the cymbal, which a produced a sound that made me go "ewww". All cymbal bells were much the same was regular sticks, when using the shaft. Can not use the plastic tip there. The tom's sound was much the same. The stick does provide a little more rebound on the drums, but again, the plastic tip was useless there as well. The snare attack was lacking also.

Quality:

It seems sturdy enough so far. The only stick damage is from rimshots on snare. The plastic tip does have a few minor scratches on it, but the gel tube it is attached to seems to be fine. Though, I am not really sure if the actual stick, is made out of wood or not.

Price:

For what you are getting, I don't think it is worth the price. For two sticks, it is $20.00 [the only thing I actually looked up to check so far] And I don't know if this thing is wood or not. It is innovative, but in todays market, people are looking for low prices, and the price does NOT grab my attention.

Overall:

This thing was definatley interesting to try out. It might be worth a check out, if you have $20.00 and have nothing to do with it. For sure takes alot of getting used to, but I could see some uses coming out of it. I am not sure if anyone, even the "full time users" could use this 24/7. Just every once in a while.

Well that brings my review to a close, I hope it was informative. I am happy I got to try this thing called the Slapstik out. It was entertaining. Again this is only my opinions. Anyone else feel free to comment, and don't let this stop you ffrom trying a pair if you want to. This is just what I got out of it.

Last edited:
Thank you for trying out the Slapstik and sharing your opinion about it here. I appreciate your unbiased review.

I do have two comments to make:
1. The Slapstik is made out of Maplewood.
2. Remember how long it took you to get use to playing with a brush. Playing the Slapstik takes some work and dedication over time. And just like the brush, drummers are not expected to play with the Slapstik all the time, rather use it every once in a while when it's musically called upon.

I received one of the SlapStik free samples too. I, however, did not have the same experience.

I'm sad to say, but my free sample broke after 5 minutes of use. It broke @ the point where the flexible tip and the wood is connected with the weird white rubber material. I mean, it was fun to use, but I was disappointed with it breaking after such light use. There were others in the room that saw it break with such little use and virtually no abuse.

I really wish this product would've lasted me longer; im not one to bash innovation by any means, its just that, well, it broke.

Thank you for trying out the Slapstik and sharing your opinion about it here. I appreciate your unbiased review.

I do have two comments to make:
1. The Slapstik is made out of Maplewood.
2. Remember how long it took you to get use to playing with a brush. Playing the Slapstik takes some work and dedication over time. And just like the brush, drummers are not expected to play with the Slapstik all the time, rather use it every once in a while when it's musically called upon.

Thanks for clarification. And I agree with you.

I received one of the SlapStik free samples too. I, however, did not have the same experience.

I'm sad to say, but my free sample broke after 5 minutes of use. It broke @ the point where the flexible tip and the wood is connected with the weird white rubber material. I mean, it was fun to use, but I was disappointed with it breaking after such light use. There were others in the room that saw it break with such little use and virtually no abuse.

I really wish this product would've lasted me longer; im not one to bash innovation by any means, its just that, well, it broke.

I'm sorry to hear about the broken coupling. Every once in a while there is a defective stick. I'd be happy to send you a replacement. Please shoot me another email with you address:
theslapstik at gmail.com

Back