The roots of drumming—Downfall of Paris

I bet you knew Jon Lee and Rob Bridge and Shawn Schietroma. Rob and Jon were grad students when I was undergrad at SMU. I was forced to take a couple semesters of 4-mallet marimba with Shawn. *sigh* LOL

By the time I started at UNT, I believe Shawn was a high band director. His younger brother Todd, was at UNT the same time as me, and he was a great Latin percussionist.

How did you avoid Turrentine? I had him twice, once for Romantic and once for Medieval. Got the big D- for Medieval, then had to retake it under Mayer-Martin, the toughest professor I’ve ever had. LOL Seriously, she was rough. There was a kid that had someone pull the fire alarm during one of her tests. They went outside, confined the lack of a fire, then went back in. And she made them FINISH the TEST!

I will admit that she knew her stuff, though. She was the world’s premier expert on Medieval French love songs.
I actually may be wrong. I might have had him when I took a history class in the summer. I just don't really remember. I had another guy who I can't remember his name, but he was pushing 70 when I had him. His claim to fame, and deservedly so, was he got in some trouble with the administration because he was shagging and then married a drop dead gorgeous grad student. We thought she was crazy for marrying him, but gave him the big thumbs up. She was stunning.

I actually may be wrong. I might have had him when I took a history class in the summer. I just don't really remember. I had another guy who I can't remember his name, but he was pushing 70 when I had him. His claim to fame, and deservedly so, was he got in some trouble with the administration because he was shagging and then married a drop dead gorgeous grad student. We thought she was crazy for marrying him, but gave him the big thumbs up. She was stunning.

LOL He must have retired. We just had Turrentine, Mayer-Martin, and an organ professor who also did music history.

How did you avoid Turrentine? I had him twice, once for Romantic and once for Medieval. Got the big D- for Medieval, then had to retake it under Mayer-Martin, the toughest professor I’ve ever had. LOL Seriously, she was rough. There was a kid that had someone pull the fire alarm during one of her tests. They went outside, confined the lack of a fire, then went back in. And she made them FINISH the TEST!

I will admit that she knew her stuff, though. She was the world’s premier expert on Medieval French love songs.
Those of us who weren't into medieval music history weren't complaining when she left. The half of a semester I had her was tough.

By the time I started at UNT, I believe Shawn was a high band director. His younger brother Todd, was at UNT the same time as me, and he was a great Latin percussionist.

I guess Shawn must have gotten sick of that, understandably. He was teaching lessons and gigging when I knew him. I don’t think he was too excited about teaching 4-mallet marimba to people whose focus was elsewhere, but we both made a good-faith effort. I hope he’s doing OK. This is not a good time for musicians.

Those of us who weren't into medieval music history weren't complaining when she left. The half of a semester I had her was tough.

She was straight-up brutal. The worst was that I didn’t get to have her for Romantic, which at least has a lot of good orchestral rep. I had her for Medieval, the lamest snoozefest of a class ever. I was seriously afraid I wouldn’t graduate on time. That whole year , my senior year, just torpedoed my life on so many levels. I didn’t even want to be there that year. Everybody was surprised I even came back for that year. In hindsight, I’m really sorry I did. I’d have been better off just staying in NC, getting my remaining requirements at a state school, and maybe picking up an Ed degree or comp sci or geology degree too. Nothing went right that year.

LOL He must have retired. We just had Turrentine, Mayer-Martin, and an organ professor who also did music history.
Larry Palmer? That organ department was a freak show when I was there. The percussion room was right next to his office when I was there and he and his students were always trying to get me to come to one of their 'hot tub' parties. Yikes!

She was straight-up brutal. The worst was that I didn’t get to have her for Romantic, which at least has a lot of good orchestral rep. I had her for Medieval, the lamest snoozefest of a class ever. I was seriously afraid I wouldn’t graduate on time. That whole year , my senior year, just torpedoed my life on so many levels. I didn’t even want to be there that year. Everybody was surprised I even came back for that year. In hindsight, I’m really sorry I did. I’d have been better off just staying in NC, getting my remaining requirements at a state school, and maybe picking up an Ed degree or comp sci or geology degree too. Nothing went right that year.
Sounds like a shitty year. Sorry. I avoided a lot of stress by putting my senior recital off a semester. I was living in Dallas anyway, so I just worked part time and prepared for the recital.

Larry Palmer? That organ department was a freak show when I was there. The percussion room was right next to his office when I was there and he and his students were always trying to get me to come to one of their 'hot tub' parties. Yikes!

?????

?????

may i add

?????

Yes, Dr. Palmer. Loved the dude, but still had to retake his Classical music history class. My head was NOT in the game for Medieval and Classical.

Sounds like a shitty year. Sorry. I avoided a lot of stress by putting my senior recital off a semester. I was living in Dallas anyway, so I just worked part time and prepared for the recital.

Must have been nice. I was so stressed for my recital that I had to take a 25 mg beta blocker to get through it. I totally blew my junior recital, didn’t even TELL Doug about it until after it happened, and didn’t even manage to get it recorded. Which was a blessing. I might as well have been sightreading the 8-page Bach something that Doug assigned me.

?????

?????

may i add

?????

Yes, Dr. Palmer. Loved the dude, but still had to retake his Classical music history class. My head was NOT in the game for Medieval and Classical.
Yeah, he was nice enough. I don't remember him teaching history classes while I was there. Either he hadn't started doing that yet, or I just never had him.

Must have been nice. I was so stressed for my recital that I had to take a 25 mg beta blocker to get through it. I totally blew my junior recital, didn’t even TELL Doug about it until after it happened, and didn’t even manage to get it recorded. Which was a blessing. I might as well have been sightreading the 8-page Bach something that Doug assigned me.
How did Doug not know about your Junior recital? Maybe he wasn't as involved with all aspects of the program as he was when I was there.

How did Doug not know about your Junior recital? Maybe he wasn't as involved with all aspects of the program as he was when I was there.

The studio was much bigger by then, and he was trying to hand off most teaching duties of undergrads to adjuncts. He was still pretty pissed about the whole thing. I’m lucky I even got credit for it. It was partially his fault for not staying on top of it, though.

The studio was much bigger by then, and he was trying to hand off most teaching duties of undergrads to adjuncts. He was still pretty pissed about the whole thing. I’m lucky I even got credit for it. It was partially his fault for not staying on top of it, though.
The whole music department was much smaller when I started there. I think I'm happy I went through when I did! A good memory of that place was a friend of mine named Steve Gancy. He was a clarinetist and composition major who did grunt work working for Kim Campbell, who was the building manager at the time, to run things. He had keys to everything. He and I and a couple of others would often get up on the roof late at night in the summer with a couple of six-packs and just watch the skyline and shoot the shit.

The whole music department was much smaller when I started there. I think I'm happy I went through when I did! A good memory of that place was a friend of mine named Steve Gancy. He was a clarinetist and composition major who did grunt work working for Kim Campbell, who was the building manager at the time, to run things. He had keys to everything. He and I and a couple of others would often get up on the roof late at night in the summer with a couple of six-packs and just watch the skyline and shoot the shit.

I went up on the roof of the building ONCE, and got caught by SMU police, and written up in the weekly campus paper. LOL

My favorite memories are probably seeing the DSO play a few great concerts. When I was there, you could sit behind the orchestra in the choral terrace at the new hall, and almost read the music off their stands. It was a great way to really see them play. I went every week for 8 semesters, sometimes two or three times in 1 week. I learned a whole lot more about timpani playing from those concerts than from gruff old “silent Kal” Cherry in lessons. But I think that’s what he expected.

I went up on the roof of the building ONCE, and got caught by SMU police, and written up in the weekly campus paper. LOL

My favorite memories are probably seeing the DSO play a few great concerts. When I was there, you could sit behind the orchestra in the choral terrace at the new hall, and almost read the music off their stands. It was a great way to really see them play. I went every week for 8 semesters, sometimes two or three times in 1 week. I learned a whole lot more about timpani playing from those concerts than from gruff old “silent Kal” Cherry in lessons. But I think that’s what he expected.
I didn't go to concerts that often, but I went to watch a lot of rehearsals. When I got to play extra with them it was all at Fair Park. The Meyerson wasn't built yet. My best memory of the DSO was when I got to play extra on Mahler 3. I didn't have much to do, so I mostly got to sit, watch, and listen. The conductor for that one? None other than Kurt Masur. It was truly amazing. Gotta go pick up the daughter. See ya later.

Man, some of these drumming network relationships are crazy.

The orchestral percussion world is ridiculously small, and even the entire orchestral music world is small. The drumming world is a lot bigger, especially since Ringo and the Beatles appeared on Ed Sullivan in ‘64, but it’s still a pretty small group of folks at the level of working pros.

Back