THE rock and metal snare

Treverer

What is for you guys THE rock and metal snare drum? If you could only own one and money is no object, of course.

Depends , if I was to say the atypical Classic Rock snare then my vote would go to the Ludwig Supraphonic 402. Ludaloy shell , 6.5” x 14” shell .

Sure the Tama Bell Brass is wonderful but not really attainable for the average drummer due to the exorbitant costs being asked for them .

For me personally my favourite Rock snare is the Noble and Cooley Alloy Classic 6 x 14” . Sandcast aluminum alloy shell . Incredibly well made and sounds great and tunes up like a dream.

This is my 2nd choice, it sounds incredible!

Ok, it took you like 10 posts before you got to the drum I was looking at right now :D
I opened this thread, because for me THE rock and metal snare is the Tama Bell Brass, but I can't afford one (and there is none to buy in my region), so I'm looking for the next best thing. And there are more Bell Brass snares out there than I originally thought, so I have to narrow it down before I spend around a 1000 Euros...

More opinions on the Oriollo in particular (hoops, depth,....) or one of the competitors?

A quick Google search of "bell brass snare drum" returned numerous results. Many affordable and not so affordable options.

A quick Google search of "bell brass snare drum" returned numerous results. Many affordable and not so affordable options.
Yeah, that's the whole point of this thread?! There are many options that could potentially substitute for a Tama Bell Brass, I'm considering the Oriollo atm but are open to other suggestions from drummers with experience in that field. Or maybe even drums that are not bell brass but can replace one...

Ok, it took you like 10 posts before you got to the drum I was looking at right now :D
I opened this thread, because for me THE rock and metal snare is the Tama Bell Brass, but I can't afford one (and there is none to buy in my region), so I'm looking for the next best thing. And there are more Bell Brass snares out there than I originally thought, so I have to narrow it down before I spend around a 1000 Euros...

More opinions on the Oriollo in particular (hoops, depth,....) or one of the competitors?
I've watched all the Oriollo Bellmaker demos and the 7.5 is by far the best IMO. It seems to be the sweet spot. The other sizes and configurations sound good but not amazing. Granted, the person playing could have something to do with how great it sounds. He's playing mostly rimshots.

I also prefer the sound of the die-cast hoops, not the cast brass/bronze hoops (even though they look cool).

I also think the Gretsch Bell Brass sounds amazing.

6.5 Drumcraft Cast bronze of you can find one. Absolutely incredible and much, much cheaper than the Tama. Otherwise, Ludwig Black Beauty for me

I have to say Tama BB as well, if price were no concern. But I must say both the Oriollo and Gretsch are high up on my wishlist as well. Though I have a Tama Starphonic Bronze (made from Meinl bronze, limited edition), I'm very satisfied with it at the moment, so I feel no huge wish to splash out all the cash for a Bell Brass/Bronze snare at the moment...

Gretsch and DW use the same 3mm shells with the DW being at a much better price point.
The thickness is the same but the Gretsch bell brass is cast whereas the current DW is rolled. DW used to make a cast one. The new DW cast bronze looks nice, but it’s $4k.

The price point on the DW bell brass is great though and it’s a good sounding drum.

Thank you for all you input and answers!

Right now I'm leaning towards the Oriollo since the price is great and one can customize it. But that is a problem as well, because outside of videos I have no reference points when it comes to depth vs thickness, OriFlange hoops vs bell bronze hoops, what lugs etc.
I think I'm pretty much set on 14x7.5, but that's about it...

Don't get hung up on the term "bell brass", as it doesn't actually exist as a defined alloy. The kind of brass used for modern (usually smaller) bells is typically higher in zinc content compared to say a red brass (higher copper content), so maybe drum manufacturers are riding on the back of that somewhat loose connection. Bronze is the traditional alloy of bell making, and a fairly well defined "bell bronze" alloy does exist. Bronze is typically much harder than brass, has a brighter sound, and usually a longer note.

I've got "Beall" brass-so I'm speaking up for wood snares. WTH with metal snares dominating rock or metal-drum bigots LOL.

Back