THE rock and metal snare

Treverer

Don't get hung up on the term "bell brass", as it doesn't actually exist as a defined alloy. The kind of brass used for modern (usually smaller) bells is typically higher in zinc content compared to say a red brass (higher copper content), so maybe drum manufacturers are riding on the back of that somewhat loose connection. Bronze is the traditional alloy of bell making, and a fairly well defined "bell bronze" alloy does exist. Bronze is typically much harder than brass, has a brighter sound, and usually a longer note.
I know, they mix up their terminology pretty often (or actively try to mislead people). When I refer to bell brass I mean more a type of snare drum, if that makes sense.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Just for gits and shiggles, there is the Paiste Spirit of 2002. I know, the price is borderline stupid, but that's to be expected.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Metal is cold-if you were out in the woods in cold you wouldn't use a brass drum to sit on-maple is much warmer. Then too you could burn the maple to stay warm-the metal would still be cold. You could put your burning maple snare in it to prevent a forest fire. Something to consider when buying a snare. :cool::poop: I've had cheap Pearl Vision aluminum Sensitone and now a cheap lacquer Pearl Steel Sensitone snare and both sound fine-esp for gigging purposes. I've used my expensive snare for gigs but only select ones-generally I'd grab a cheap one. That is something to consider-rather than the former steaming pile.

Especially with those cast hoops. I had the hoops but stupidly sold them. I have the hammered 6.5. I will never part with it. It is what I tell my wife #1. She said don’t f with me or #1 will end up in the bottom of the maumee river. 😱😮😧😭😂🤣
Ludwig actually took those die cast hoops from their marching snare line. I think they stopped making them long ago. Would be nice to see Ludwig get back into making marching and drum corps in a big way.

Reactions: TJK

aparker2005

And for wood snares, Rosewood absolutely slays. I'll soon have a custom pork pie Steambent rosewood snare. Selling my Tama rosewood to help fund it, but the Tama I have is absolutely insane

incrementalg

Gold Member
The DWs are cast also. http://www.dwdrums.com/snares/coll-metal.asp

Same shell from the same foundry.
I dunno. I think tat may be a mistake or leftover from when DW was doing cast brass. I’ve seen multiple DW bell brass snares recently and the new ones are rolled and welded. I don’t think DW would be doing a cast brass snare for sub $600 which is the current price of their bell brass.

They used to do a cast bronze and brass but switched to rolled shells a few years back. Of course theres the monstrous limited cast bronze they’re doing now for $4k

Steady Freddy

Pioneer Member
I dunno. I think tat may be a mistake or leftover from when DW was doing cast brass. I’ve seen multiple DW bell brass snares recently and the new ones are rolled and welded. I don’t think DW would be doing a cast brass snare for sub $600 which is the current price of their bell brass.

They used to do a cast bronze and brass but switched to rolled shells a few years back. Of course theres the monstrous limited cast bronze they’re doing now for $4k
Actually they recently changed the description to cast. I have five of the cast shells. They are not rolled and welded, I don't think it matters but the heavy metal drums are all cast. Something may have changed recently. I've had mine about three or four years. Yeah, they're pretty proud of that new true cast bronze drum. LOL If you look at the attachments you'll see the DW and Ocheltree are the same construction. Same as the Gretsch also.

Attachments

IBitePrettyHard

And I thought it's all in the tuning of the snare?

I'm thinking about getting this:

As it matches the color of my Tama Rockstar. I'm not sure why the snare that came with the set isn't burgundy, but silver. Is this common; drum set color differs from the snare?
Yes, usually included snares (that are metal) will not match the rest of the kit.

Wood snares typically do match the rest of the kit.

justadrummer

I have a Gretsch USA Custom Bell Brass snare and it is a beast.

But the snare drum that I own that I consider to be "THE" rock snare drum is my 2003 DW/Craviotto 6.5" deep single ply flame maple beast. My new Gretsch USA Solid Maple gets an honorable mention.

Attachments

markdrum

Silver Member
Oriollo also has a OriBronze snare called "The Dictator". if memory serves it's Vukam's own formula. I've got one of those plus a Gretsch Brooklyn Bell Brass and the Dictator wins out every time.

Here's 2 not mentioned.
Tama John Tempesta Signature
Gretsch USA Phosphorus Bronze....5mm bronze beast.

I have a Black Beauty and it's amazing....but I'd love to have either or both of those.