The Perfect Movie

My favorite "new" movie at the moment is CHEF. Great storytelling. From a technical perspective the writing, editing and music selection doesn't get much better than this. Props for featuring Gary Clark Jr. and his band. Not exactly a family friendly film with the language and a bit of raunchiness, but a really nice treatment of basic human needs in a broken world. If you like food trucks--and who doesn't?--you may like CHEF. Available on Netflix.

So I just finished Shawshank Redemption, which I've not seen since it came out and it was just perfect.
THEN...
I followed that up the next evening with The Green Mile

Holy crap... that was just too cool.

and I just realized those are both Stephen King writing and Frank Darabont directing.

I love movies and big home theater! Big screen, lots of amps, subwoofers etc... I skipped laserdisc and was an early adopter of DVD when there were 10 "test" cities in the U.S.. I amassed some 1600 DVDs over the years. I have many favorites but one old classic comedy that always stands out is "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World".

So I just finished Shawshank Redemption, which I've not seen since it came out and it was just perfect.
THEN...
I followed that up the next evening with The Green Mile

Holy crap... that was just too cool.

and I just realized those are both Stephen King writing and Frank Darabont directing.

If you liked those ( I did) , you’ll like Murder in the First with Kevin Bacon and Christian Slater if you haven’t already seen it .

Last edited:
Here's just a few:

Christmas Movies

[ ] A Christmas Kiss (Carriage scene was filmed in Worcester City Hall common)
[ ] The Most Wonderful Time of the Year (starring Henry Winkler)
[ ] Christmas on Ice (filmed in Worcester)
[ ] A Veteran's Christmas (about a dog named Christmas)
[ ] Let it Snow
[ ] The Christmas Cottage
[ ] A Royal Winter (falls in love with a prince)
[ ] Christmas Shoes

[ ] Falling in Love (Robert De Niro and Meryl Streep)
[ ] The Bridges of Madison County (Clint Eastwood and Meryl Streep)
[ ] The Way We Were (Barbra Streisand and Robert Redford)
[ ] The Great Gatsby (Robert Redford and Mia Farrow)
[ ] Yentl (Barbra Streisand)
[ ] Love is a Many-Splendored Thing
[ ] Zorba the Greek (Anthony Quinn)
[ ] Fiddler on the Roof
[ ] The Notebook
[ ] Labor Day
[ ] Pillow Talk (Doris Day & Rock Hudson)
[ ] Blue Hawaii (Elvis Presley)
[ ] Honest Thief (filmed in Worcester)
[ ] The Tender Bar (filmed in Worcester)
[ ] Rebel Without a Cause (Natalie Wood and James Dean)
[ ] Shall We Dance (Richard Gere and Jennifer Lopez)
[ ] Too Young the Hero
[ ] The Husler (Paul Newman playing pool)
[ ] Snowbound (they were stradard in the snow)
[ ] Viva Las Vegas with Elvis Presley and Ann-Margret 1964
The Day the Earth Stood Still

Drummer_D

The Matrix is often cited as a "perfect screenplay" and I tend to agree, starting with hooking you with the opening scene. I learned that as it was being made, the filmmakers had gone over time and over budget, and the studio execs were getting impatient and asking questions. So they quickly put together a rough cut of the first scene and screened it for the execs. After it was over the execs told them "whatever you want, however much time you need, you got it." After watching just the first scene, they knew they had a hit on their hands.

The movie that made the biggest impact on me has to be Star Wars. I saw the original theatrical release at age 9 a few exits away from Skywalker Ranch. That film had me from beginning to end. All my friends and I were obsessed.

All About Eve is one of my all time favorite movies. It's packed with some of the best dialogue ever written and I've adored Bette Davis ever since. Definitely a perfect movie.

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs is a collection of short westerns by the Coen Brothers, and it's also the title of the opening segment. I think it's just a perfect short film.

The Notebook

Drummer_D

Can't say I'm too much of a movie person, I watch a lot more TV series than films, and furthermore I tend to be quite picky mood-wise about my movies, making one that I can happily just watch from any point at any time not possible.
But there's a few that might come close:

-The Matrix - needs no explanation except to note original only, sequels, excluding the really recent one as I've not seen it, were garbage.

-A Scanner Darkly - Philip K Dick at his best, with beautiful and fitting animated overlay. It's cinematic (albeit a bit strangely), it's thought provoking, it's got its fun and funny moments, you feel for the protagonist, your left trying to puzzle out the web of deciet. Love it.

-Pans Labyrinth- I wouldn't always and anytime watch a subtitled movie, but the films fantastic. Cute, albeit super dark, it's not horror at all but it's got its scarier elements, it's emotional and captivating. A truly magical film, maybe its like my Christmas movie :ROFLMAO:

-Terminator 2 - ticks the whole action/lots of bangs and explosions etc box, which I do want sometimes, but this has enough great acting, great soundtrack, great cinematography.

-withnail&I - too easy to just want to see the next classic moment of ridiculous situation the characters get into from this based-on-true-story film. It's an easy going british cult classic that's just entertaining start to finish and for someone who grew up (say 15-25) drinking quite heavily increasingly with wouldbe bohemian performer types, it was highly relatable.

Back to the future
Master and Commander
Jaws
Sicario
No Country for Old Men
Darkest Hour
Last Samurai

Last edited:
Back