The Perfect Movie

Airplane is on my list of *movies that I can watch at least once a year.* Nothing in that movie is *just a prop* - everything is thought out and with a purpose. Even the magazine racks!

View attachment 94782

You Shirley must have seen that movie a lot of times

You Shirley must have seen that movie a lot of times
I'm not a big movie buff. Can't really sit still for two hours, I guess. But I've got a mental list of movies that I could re-watch and their associated frequency. Once a year, once every two years, once every five years or never again. I've seen Airplane! enough times that I don't really watch it for the plot anymore - now I pay attention to the details in the cracks. And every time I watch it, I find something new. I guess that's why it's on my *once a year* list.

Airplane! came out in 1980 (same year I got married to my loving bride!), but I must confess, I haven't seen it 40 times. Probably less than 10. But it never fails to make me laugh - and I'm always looking deeper in the cracks!

I am serious. And don't calling me Shirley! ;)

Here's a rabbit hole!: Leslie Nielsen and James Arness (Gunsmoke) were brothers. I'll leave you to the exploring.

I've been on a long movie kick this summer i.e. films that are three hours or longer in length.
One a week classic films I've enjoyed:

Dr. Zhivago
Dances with Wolves
Fiddler on the Roof
Lawrence of Arabia (took advantage of the built in intermission to get a drink).

I've been going to sleep on "Blue Chips" (1994) lately - Nick Nolte's opening scene is effing bliss, where he plays Pete Bell, a basketball coach cursing his team prior to a game. Young Shaq is a fit muscular guy in this one, and he's on full display doing the dunk slam.

Prior to this it was "Hoosiers" (1986) with Gene Hackman coaching a high school basketball team. Less cussing but still great performances.

Robert Redford in "Downhill Racer" (1969) is one of the early high-definition films. This is high speed downhill skiing. Some scary stuff.

I was really hoping for more of a twist from that movie - the plot was basically laid out in the first minute of the movie with the cuckoos then it just kind of played out as one would expect.
"the plot was basically laid out in the first minute of the movie with the cuckoos then it just kind of played out as one would expect"

One of the most opaque and baffling single-sentence film reviews I've ever read. ?

I've been on a long movie kick this summer i.e. films that are three hours or longer in length.
One a week classic films I've enjoyed:

Dr. Zhivago
Dances with Wolves
Fiddler on the Roof
Lawrence of Arabia (took advantage of the built in intermission to get a drink).
Are they all British made/directed?
I know Dances With Wolves has a John Barry score.

"the plot was basically laid out in the first minute of the movie with the cuckoos then it just kind of played out as one would expect"

One of the most opaque and baffling single-sentence film reviews I've ever read. ?

Well yea - because I didn't want to layout the movie - so it was more directed at someone that has already seen it.

but here we go:

The opening scene show's how a cuckoos uses other birds to raise their young - a bird that find the nests of other birds - put their eggs in place of the eggs of the birds that made the nest - then the other birds will raise the cuckoos. It's a parasite.

The plot of the movie is EXACTLY that. Some alien (or something) species makes the couple raise their baby as a human.

And...that was it. No twist....just 2 hours of humans being used exactly like cuckoos. Then they just die. game over.

Is The Italian Job (Michael Caine) widely known in The States?
Possibly THE iconic British movie. (Especially if you like E Type Jags and Mini Coopers)

Last edited:
Well yea - because I didn't want to layout the movie - so it was more directed at someone that has already seen it.

but here we go:

The opening scene show's how a cuckoos uses other birds to raise their young - a bird that find the nests of other birds - put their eggs in place of the eggs of the birds that made the nest - then the other birds will raise the cuckoos. It's a parasite.

The plot of the movie is EXACTLY that. Some alien (or something) species makes the couple raise their baby as a human.

And...that was it. No twist....just 2 hours of humans being used exactly like cuckoos. Then they just die. game over.
??

The Blues Brothers came on today, the original. Had to watch it. I haven't seen it in like 35 years. My wife has never seen it all at once. So we watched it together. I never realized it's a musical, like a singing/dancing add a car and its Grease musical. I dig musicals. Glad I watched it again.

In no particular order and with loads that I love missed off...
The Big Lebowski
Brazil
Withnail & I
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

I can agree with a lot of choices here. Not really watching a lot of movies anymore I have a few old favourites.

IMG-2478.JPG

Back