The Orlando Drummer: Why I Hate 12 Inch Rack Toms

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
After doing the 10/12/16 for many years, now I prefer the 12 x 9 as my high tom ala Motown, and the 13 x 10 is just a badass size for the 2nd rack tom. It's deep and satisfying. I consider the 13 the ride tom size. I never thought about the 12 like that. I get loads of tuning spread between the 12 and 13 despite thinking the opposite of that for most of my playing life.

opentune

Platinum Member
Wow, is this all that can be talked about in 4:55? I mean what or how would any drummer benefit from hearing his personal preference ? Would they switch and change their own preferences now just to be like him?
I wonder, does he espouse equally strong views on certain cymbal felts.....color of wrap?

Soulfinger

I think there was a little levity going on in that podcast, so no big deal IMO.
Absolutely. Basically he was just having fun IMHO.
Besides, he seems to be talking about using a 12" as a right-side tom next to his 10". In this case I wouldn´t want one either because I never go bigger than a four piece kit.
And although I have no problem with 12s per se, after owning a Midtown for quite a while anything bigger than a 10" rack tom does feel and look awkward to me.

harryconway

Platinum Member
He sure does. He's also sounded good in every other clip I've ever heard. He's been a full-time professional drummer for 15 years, has been teaching for years--I guess I'm not sure what does or does not make one an "expert" but he'd certainly seem more qualified than the overwhelming majority of drummers.
All I did was click on his name to bring up his YouTube channel, and the video "3 Violent Fills" starts playing, and I immediately recognize Nick DePirro's guitar playing. So, wow, small world, I follow Nick on IG, because I follow Aric Improta (originally discovered thru a Morfbeats link) , and Nick and Aric are 2/3's of Night Verses. So thanks for posting this.

I think his disdain for 12" rack toms is to be taken oh ...... maybe not so seriously:ROFLMAO: perhaps. Let others think what they think.

MntnMan62

First of all, for someone who has such a negative opinion about 12" toms he sure has a lot to say. Second, of all my toms, my 8x12 rack tom has been both my easiest to tune and my best sounding drum. On the other hand, I've had trouble getting two different 9x13 toms to sound good. But I'd attribute that to me not giving it the the patience it deserves. That's it. I didn't listen to the entire video. After 3 minutes he was starting to pixx me off. If he such strong opinions about 12" rack toms, I definitely wouldn't want to hear him rant on and on about something important.

Durbs

Ha - I like that so many have attacked the man, but not the argument - whilst simultaneously dissing Social Media.

Adam's a great drummer and teacher, with a LOT of experience. This is just his opinion, he's not saying you're wrong if you like 12" toms.

Anyhoo, I agree with him about the positioning issue. I'm 5'8", with a 10x7 and 12x8 toms, and the 12" only just sits above the kick with enough of a gap that it doesn't knock it. If I was taller, I could set them flatter which would give me a bit more height to play with, but I'm not, so I can't :D

My toms are offset, and I did play around with swapping the, so the 10x7 was over the kick, and so could set 1" lower, but didn't like have toms out of order.

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
Ha - I like that so many have attacked the man, but not the argument - whilst simultaneously dissing Social Media.

Adam's a great drummer and teacher, with a LOT of experience. This is just his opinion, he's not saying you're wrong if you like 12" toms.

Anyhoo, I agree with him about the positioning issue. I'm 5'8", with a 10x7 and 12x8 toms, and the 12" only just sits above the kick with enough of a gap that it doesn't knock it. If I was taller, I could set them flatter which would give me a bit more height to play with, but I'm not, so I can't :D

My toms are offset, and I did play around with swapping the, so the 10x7 was over the kick, and so could set 1" lower, but didn't like have toms out of order.

That is why I (5’4”) went with 7” depths on both racks.

I can have them positioned almost flat now.

mrfingers

Oh, the humanity!😟😟....I had to hide my 13” because I loved to play it too much! Instead, I’m loving my 12”s-10”s tune up too close to my snares’ sounds. I need more difference than 10”s give.

wraub

I use 10x10 and a 12x10 as my toms, and also have a 13x11 for when situations demand. I have a 22" bass drum I like, and a 20" I prefer.
Drums are good. :)