The only good thing about COVID-19 for this new drummer

GCRoberts

In January, on a whim, I decided I wanted to learn to play the drums. My kids are grown, but we still had their entry level Pearl kit just sitting in the loft from when they took lessons a few years back. So at 57 yrs of age, I contacted their former drum teacher and inquired about lessons. After a few lessons, I felt that I might have finally found my instrument after periodically screwing around with guitar pretty much unsuccessfully for decades. In March, my company started having everyone work from home because of COVID-19, which for a software engineer is actually a non-intrusive change. When I want to take a break from my work I walk over to my drum kit. By April, I totally replaced the kit with a DW Performance Kit. While I can't say that I'm progressing at rapid speed, I'm definitely progressing to a degree that's quite satisfying to me, and my teacher. Having my office double as my music room is a blessing!

drumnut87

awesome! keep on the good work! <3

drummingbulldog

That's awesome! Good luck & have fun. So, what music do you enjoy playing?

Yamaha Rider

I've been amazingly lucky with the pandemic: joined my first ever band and bought my first acoustic kit just before lockdown killed live music. Felt agonising but it's given me months to upgrade gear, practice and improve.
Got in with my dream art gallery in the West End of London in theatreland - just before lockdown closed all galleries and theatres.Gave me time to produce a litte batch of work for them though - then they tried an online show and it took off - locked down people can't eat out or take holidays but they can and do buy art instead!

Square

Wow your story is very similar to mine. I too am 57 years old. I have been a hack guitar player for decades. I bought a few drum kits over the years and took a few lessons, but never followed through. Last year I bought my current kit with the idea to finally learn to play. I work Real Estate, but pretty much stopped when Covid hit.

My kit is also in my home office. This all worked out well until my wife started working from home and took over the office... She's back on site now so I can get back to it.

Enjoy the journey.

Rob Hirons

In January, on a whim, I decided I wanted to learn to play the drums. My kids are grown, but we still had their entry level Pearl kit just sitting in the loft from when they took lessons a few years back. So at 57 yrs of age, I contacted their former drum teacher and inquired about lessons. After a few lessons, I felt that I might have finally found my instrument after periodically screwing around with guitar pretty much unsuccessfully for decades. In March, my company started having everyone work from home because of COVID-19, which for a software engineer is actually a non-intrusive change. When I want to take a break from my work I walk over to my drum kit. By April, I totally replaced the kit with a DW Performance Kit. While I can't say that I'm progressing at rapid speed, I'm definitely progressing to a degree that's quite satisfying to me, and my teacher. Having my office double as my music room is a blessing!
Make that last phrase "my music room doubles as my office". :LOL: Great stuff. Well done.