The Old Drummers or the New Drummers?

I'm pretty sure he could of simplified it down a bit

You are pigeon holing him because he stayed with the same band for 40 years.
I don't think you listened to him much did you? Not mad, just saying. :)
Not the case at all, & I'm not pigeon holing him, just saying that his style is distinctive. Equally, there's no doubt that he could have played for many a band of the day, but it still would have been him, & that's a good thing. Being recognised for a certain style, especially one that's of your own creation, is the mark of someone who's made a significant contribution to music, & who's legacy is assured.

Actually, I did listen to Rush stuff quite a bit, & still like certain songs. Back in the day, I think I saw them on at least 6 occasions (& two of them were in a sound crew capacity). Their tour with Max Webster was the most memorable for me, mainly because I liked Max Webster so much ;)

I like drummers at 2 levels.

The first are a part of the music I've listened to over the years ( then & now ) and it is a huge and varied playlist so naming a few would be inaccurate and impossible.

On another level I could get into a drummer just by the way he plays, even if it isnt really music that I get into.Both go beyond genres.

I love Max Roach, I love Mark Guiliana, everybody including me loves Steve Gadd, and I love the way metal drummer Chris Adler plays though I mostly dislke metal.

As usual, Harvey Mason is completely left out of the discussion...so here he is. He does it all (as many others do) Recording, tours, live shows, jazz, funk, movie soundtracks....

BTW Sticky: Grow up, you are SO tiresome on this thread.

You're right and Harvey Mason should have been on my list too as well as John Robinson and Jeff Porcaro.

I listened to a ton of music from all 3 of these people, especially John Robinson with Rufus/Chaka Khan.

At this moment in time I prefer the old drummers...even though mostly all of the ones I like are freaking dead! I seem to be stuck in the 70's even though I never lived through those times.

I need to get with it I think :-D

I was considering throwing Harvey Mason on, but I had to keep my list short. I swear! Our group covers Watermelon Man and everything about that song is absurdly fun.

I prefer the new drumming; stuff by Dominic Howard, Dave Grohl and Tre Cool is pretty good. I believe it's because the newer drumming builds on that of the past and creates interesting stuff to play on a more developed and prominent instrument.

I think drumming is overtechnical now and everyone sounds the same.

I come from the prog era.

Bill Bruford,Phil Collins,Giles,Barriemore Barlow,Neil Peart,the bloke on the Focus early albums with the awesome hipitched toms and snare sound.

I still listen to jazz stuff like Billy Cobham,Simon Philiips,Buddy Rich.

Those blokes have chops but make it musical and not some wank "look at me look at me" BS or "haha sucker,you'll never be able to play this"

Bonham is a massive influence.
His snare sound ,noone has touched yet ,even The Rival Sons.

Atm listening to alot of bebop jazz from the 50's and 60's then I'll mix it with some grindcore metal when I'm bored of the jazz stuff.

Actually Grindcore is starting to blend into jazz realms.
I saw a drummer here in Melbourne playing a one handed roll in a song like Johnny Rabb or Jojo Mayer.

Now tat's an idea!

Grindcore with a brass section.

LOL.

Love the Jack Dejohnete album Sorcery.
Drums are really earthy and he plays really musically.

Really dark moody jazz album.
He's really technical now and I can't connect with it sadly.

I guess my childhood is a fond part of my life and I need to keep clinging to it.

Loved the 70's.

Best music scene ever especially all the prog and stuff like the band Can.
Now he was a great drummer and he's drums don't sound all tarted up like drums sound these days.

You can smell the wood.

Tery Bozzio is actually a technical player I do actually admire because I love Frank Zappa.

Now that bloke wasn't born here.

He comes from some superior race on some distant planet in the Universe R>i>p.

Overnite Sensation what a cracker of an album.

I h8 you technical drummers.

You make me so jealous.

LIke those guitarists that come out of GIT that sound like a flock of Geese.
Gobble gobble gobble gobble.

Aah mate,there are rests in music

Are there?
Gobble gobble gobble gobble.

Last edited:

If you haven't already tried it out I recommend give Brian Blade a listen, with his own group, The Brian Blade Fellowship and Kenny Werner and Wayne Shorter. Beautiful deep jazz/funk/new orleansy groove with extraordinary touch and tone and an extremely distinctive and emotionally dynamic sound. Deep groove is never sacrificed for cleverness or a mindless chopfest.

?uestlove has a really dirty, nasty and super musical groove, distinctive tone but if you do not like hip hop or soul his music probably isn't for you.

I come from the prog era.

Bill Bruford,Phil Collins,Giles,Barriemore Barlow,Neil Peart,the bloke on the Focus early albums with the awesome hipitched toms and snare sound.

I still listen to jazz stuff like Billy Cobham,Simon Philiips,Buddy Rich.

Those blokes have chops but make it musical and not some wank "look at me look at me" BS.

Bonham is a massive influence.
His snare sound ,noone has touched yet ,even The Rival Sons.

Atm listening to alot of bebop jazz from the 50's and 60's then I'll mix it with some grindcore metal when I'm bored of the jazz stuff.

Actually Grindcore is starting to blend into jazz realms.
I saw a drummer here in Melbourne playing a one handed roll in a song like Johnny Rabb or Jojo Mayer.

Now tat's an idea!

Grindcore with a brass section.

LOL.

Love the Jack Dejohnete album Sorcery.
Drums are really earthy and he plays really musically.

Really dark moody jazz album.
He's really technical now and I can't connect with it sadly.

I guess my childhood is a fond part of my life and I need to keep clinging to it.

Loved the 70's.

Best music scene ever especially all the prog and stuff like the band Can.
Now he was a great drummer and he's drums don't sound all tarted up like drums sound these days.

You can smell the wood.

What's good in grindcore these days? I used to be fairly into some stuff but these days never got too far past Napalm Death and Pig Destroyer.

My favorite "Watermelon Man" version is from Mongo Santamarie circa 1960 I think! Doc.

If you haven't already tried it out I recommend give Brian Blade a listen, with his own group, The Brian Blade Fellowship and Kenny Werner and Wayne Shorter. Beautiful deep jazz/funk/new orleansy groove with extraordinary touch and tone and an extremely distinctive and emotionally dynamic sound. Deep groove is never sacrificed for cleverness or a mindless chopfest.

?uestlove has a really dirty, nasty and super musical groove, distinctive tone but if you do not like hip hop or soul his music probably isn't for you.

What's good in grindcore these days? I used to be fairly into some stuff but these days never got too far past Napalm Death and Pig Destroyer.

Heaps in Melbourne especially the young kids.
Bands popping up everywhere.

LOl at gf and I one week at a jazz club watching bebop then the week after banging our heads silly to metal.

Thank god for the movie about Mr, Ripley or my gf wouldn't have liked jazz.

I'll check it out.

I like alot of funk.

LIke the old 70's stuff .

Herbie Hancock's Head hunters.

Those old drum sounds.

Do you think it's because they werre recorded to reel to reel tape.
Everything just sounds so clean and characterless now.

Some engineers piss me off.
I remember the front of house bloke in a cover band I had a regular job in,gate my snare up and I remember hearing back the front of house tapes and wanting to die because I couldn't hear my ghosties.

Bah.

Yeah ,I prefer the older musos.
Actually like the old sportsmen too.

They weren't athletes who could play football.
It was the other way round.

Same with the overtechnical drumming.

Mathemeticians with high intelligence who play music instead of musicians who dabble in some maths now and then like the old days lol.

What does the future hold.Olordy.

THe flamadiddle paradragga riddle piddle off set by a quaver to the 15 over 8 bar.

Now, digital =(garbage)..............then analog =(real) thats about it! Doc

Hi Darren,
We had a discussion the other day about that on another thread, therefore, I'm not gonna repeat myself....

However, although that I agree that a lot of "new" drummers are being "overtechnical" in their playing, there are some exceptions, within all generations of drummers, we always had the ones that was standing out "head and shoulders" above the other drummers for a given generation, and today's generation is no exception, some of the "new" drummers mentioned in this thread are really fantastic players, they do have monstrous techninal abilities, but they express themselves with musicality, feel, taste and groove.

Duckenheimer's comments about Brian Blade is a fine example...

Back