The New Tama Starclassic Walnut/Birch

gdmoore28

Gold Member
They look exactly as you'd expect from Tama: fantastic, and ready to take the mantle from the recent birch/bubinga models.

https://www.tama.com/eu/products/drum_kits/starclassic_performer_wb_drumkit.html

pen_WBR42S_VMP_GZ_01.png

pen_WBS42S_MBR_01.png

kitcongif_WBS32RZS.png

What I find really interesting about them (besides the beautiful finishes) is one of the size configurations chosen as a "standard" set:

8X12 mounted tom
16X16 floor tom
14X22 bass drum

So, it seems that Tama has been watching the current trends in sizing - a return to the traditional dimensions that were seen before the power-tom sizes. And I like that. Can't wait to hear them in person. Especially the bass drums.

Of course, Tama has not abandoned the "deep" toms and bass drums. They are still available as standard issue.
kitcongif_WBS42S.png

kitcongif_WBS52RZS.png

GeeDeeEmm

Coming from someone who likes shallower bass drums, it is a welcome sight to see for me. Though the die hard 18"+ depth people might be a little put off.

I'll take one in Ocean Blue Ripple please. Brightness of birch and the warm of Walnut . Great mix

I’m in love with the used B/B kit I picked up a few weeks ago, but that 3 piece with the 14x22 bass drum is my kind of kit. Looking good Tama, keep up the fine work.

I've always liked Tama stuff. Some really nice new finishes in that link. I'll be curious to see how they stack up vs the B/Bs. They sure sound good on that demo.

At last : basic kits without a 22x18 ! Yesssss.
Great move from Tama. All the walnut kits I heard were great sounding.

A bit intrigued with the satin finishes, the Sapphire and Burgundy looks pretty nice. Not liking the flashy psychadelic finished ones. Allthough a bit sad they went away with the 18" deep bassdrums in a standard configuration, but I see the 16" deep bassdrums has come back in trend now with a lot of other kits as well. I could probably live with it, but being a metalhead, less is never more. More is more ;). Too a certain limit though. Not that big of a fan of powertoms and 20"+ deep bassdrums...

Could very well be my next kit, if I get a nice offer for my big Pearl Masters BCX kit. I fancy that Satin Burgundy Fade in a doublebass setup :)

Last edited:
China. Only the Star series is made in Japan, at least in the mass market, as far as I know.

Tama has definitely been listening. Nice to see the shallower BDs in a mass produced line. Kind of a bummer though, now my set is “common,” except For my shallower FTs...sort of like my internal battle between visually purist sizes and smooth audible roll off 12x14 and 14x16. LOL!

Their expansion of available finishes is impressive as well. When Bubinga got the axe, I was thinking/guessing they would replace with walnut. I think they will hit a total home run with this line up.

Their new Starphonic copper snare in 7” depth my just be what my mental health professional recommends...I’ll have him write me a script...anyone know a good shrink in the Phoenix area? LOL!!!

Does anyone suspect that Tama replaced bubinga with walnut because bubinga is on some governments’ CITES list? I do, even though Star bubinga kits are still offered.

Info at Gear news.
Info at Reverb.

FTA:
For example, a seller in Nashville looking to ship her 2013 Martin 000-28 with East Indian rosewood back and sides to a buyer in Canada must apply for a re-export certificate, pay the application fee, receive the certificate, and include that document with the guitar when shipping.

And:
The reason for the billion-dollar demand for rosewood - and the subsequent trafficking - has less to do with musical instruments and much more to do with furniture.

In particular, China’s high-end furniture market created enormous demand that led to severe deforestation of several Dalbergia species in Thailand, Vietnam, and several other countries.

Not all Dalbergia species are threatened by the furniture boom. But rather than train border officials across the world how to identify the nuanced differences between them - something that even experts struggle with at times - the participants of the CITES conference decided to create a blanket regulation on the entire genus of Dalbergia wood.

Regardless, I’m looking foward to hearing this new design.

And now for some eye candy:

Schecter%20C-1.jpg

Does anyone suspect that Tama replaced bubinga with walnut because bubinga is on some governments’ CITES list? I do, even though Star bubinga kits are still offered.

Info at Gear news.
Info at Reverb.

Regardless, I’m looking foward to hearing this new design.

Honestly, I don't doubt it. The lower priced something is, the less the hassle of dealing with CITES becomes. With the Star kits, they are high end enough that it is probably still worth the hassle, but perhaps not at the Starclassic level.

I love the new combination. Waiting to hear on a better and less produced demo of the sound, though!

I'm curious how they compare to my 100% walnuts. I'm expecting a more bright component and harsher transients...

China. Only the Star series is made in Japan, at least in the mass market, as far as I know.

Kinda.

In japan, the Starclassic line is still "Made in Japan" and it looks like they're still selling B/B kits and not offering B/W for their domestic market. The move to walnut seems like something they had to do in terms of supply and marketing rather than a legitimate optimization.

I heard a YouTube demo of these yesterday and cant say they're my cup of tea but it might be just that recording or room optimization. Sizes are great, but I kinda wish they just went back to 100% birch to keep cost down.

Edit: Market lacks options for the "working class" drummer that wants a solid pure birch kit. Either its a lower to mid range product or excessively expensive and mostly custom option that you wouldn't really want to take on gigs.

Last edited:
Back