The new Drum Workshop Neil Peart/not Neil Peart snare drum...

Lee-Bro

Article: https://www.musicradar.com/news/dw-releases-the-timekeeper-snare-drum

Maybe it's just me, but this drum looks a bit too much like the Neil Peart Time Machine kit w/ elements from the Romanian River Oak kits. I appreciate DW's marketing efforts and own two of their kits. But this just seems to be rubbing me the wrong way. Almost as though their capitalizing off Peart's kits/snares legacy with them w/o DW actually attributing it directly to him.

1591410533618.png

Bentley's evidently has the first one and it's listed for $1,500: https://reverb.com/item/30019588-2020-dw-drum-workshop-time-keeper-icon-snare-drum

It's a great looking drum and I appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into the inlays. But I'm just having a hard time w/ DW not acknowledging some sort of Peart inspiration. Perhaps sleeping on it will make me feel differently.

As a side note, there is not a single DW badge on the exterior of the drum. Interesting.

Perhaps John Good is running out of ideas.
I think he knows exactly what he's doing. Using another to make cash. My opinion of course. "DW’s John Good explains the concept of the Timekeeper, “Some of my favourite drummer’s do just that. They keep time. " Mention them, then, especially Peart.

Last edited:
Bentley's evidently has the first one and it's listed for $1,500: https://reverb.com/item/30019588-2020-dw-drum-workshop-time-keeper-icon-snare-drum

It's a great looking drum and I appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into the inlays. But I'm just having a hard time w/ DW not acknowledging some sort of Peart inspiration. Perhaps sleeping on it will make me feel differently.

As a side note, there is not a single DW badge on the exterior of the drum. Interesting.
All ready sold.
My best guess is somebody will buy,sit on it and never play it.

I believe the drum was out before Neil passed. I recall seeing one late last year online. Still, it does look like his Time machine drum design.

I believe this snare drum was meant to be a tribute for Neil but he didn't want to be a part of it. DW were aware of his condition long before the public was. Ended up being a nod to the professor, very nice drum.

While I do like DW drums and Hardware, I find this distasteful. I’m in agreement with Lee-Bro and Bo. It would have been respectful to ask Neil if He’d be okay with re-issuing one of his previous icon snares. If he wasn’t, leave it alone.

Some of you seem to have a major reading comprehension issue. The article states that the drum is a tribute to time keeper drummers. Guys like Phil Rudd. Charlie Watts. The motown guys and so many more. It has nothing to do with Rush or NP.

Some of you seem to have a major reading comprehension issue. The article states that the drum is a tribute to time keeper drummers. Guys like Phil Rudd. Charlie Watts. The motown guys and so many more. It has nothing to do with Rush or NP.
There is no denying that the graphics on that drum are reminiscent of the steampunk kit NP used but its not the same thing. I get where people are coming from but Neil did not create that design, the DW graphics guys came up with it based on the steampunk concept. I think it's their's to do with as they see fit. I would not have done it if I were John Good but I don't really have an issue with it.

I read the article, and find John’s explanation disingenuous, and I’m a DW guy. If that where the case, they could’ve come up with a different motif. As the snare is now, quite a few including myself thinks of it as some sort of NP tribute snare, even though it’s not. It’s so reminiscent of Peart‘s, (as AudioWonderland pointed out) steampunk kit, one can’t help associate the two.

Of course that’s the public statement because if they cited that Neil was the inspiration, they’d probably be on the hook to pay a portion of the profits to Mr. Pratt’s estate. Hard to deny the similarities, though Neil didn’t create the steampunk concept himself, and DW’s brilliant Louie Garcia probably designed the time machine graphics, with Neil’s blessing. I’m giving DW a pass on this.

Back