The New Breed by Gary Chester - advice

whitecatcafe

I can only put this down to New Breed. It's also given me the desire - and the confidence - to work with Syncopation, which I'm enjoying immensely too.
That's amazing news, Magenta! I love success stories. I remember the post where you asked what the benefits of working through The New Breed were. Well, you have just found your answer, through first hand experience. Working through Syncopation is great too. You are on your way!

whitecatcafe

Just a question for other users: What do you sing when practicing the system? Is it the rhythms you are playing on say the bass drum or whatever is the main melody or something else? I tried singing the quarter note while playing and find it adds to the difficulty. It's like another layer of independence. Am I meant to be doing this anyway or is there any hard and fast rule on singing?
The instructions in the beginning of the book are quite clear. Sing EVERYTHING, every line, one at a time. So first, the quarter note, then the hi hat pattern, then the bass drum, etc. All while sight reading the melody line.

Magenta

Platinum Member
That's amazing news, Magenta! I love success stories. I remember the post where you asked what the benefits of working through The New Breed were. Well, you have just found your answer, through first hand experience. Working through Syncopation is great too. You are on your way!
Aww, thanks! And thank you for your help.

2bsticks

Platinum Member
So I just picked this Beast of a book up. Needed to read the intro twice. I went through syncopation 35 years ago and it was well worth it. I can see this being a monster challenge but very rewarding. At 60 years old this should blow a few cobwebs out of my head :)