The New Breed book

xindro

Yes. This is not a simple book, but thatæ's why it's good.

You don't want to rush through it. You want to play it well and also do the singing. It's about quality. This is how the Dave's and the Vinnies learned to play so clean.

If you haven't done ostinato with reading exercises before you should probably folllow the order, you should probably do that anyway, but if you think it's easy at first, relax, it gets harder. Much harder. There's a second book, as well.

Also, there's no rule saying you can't make your own ostinatos. As mentioned, people have done this for ages. These guys just started organizing it into method books. You don't get the teacher with the book though and from what I've heard they were all about the music and groove. It don't mean a thing......
My question is how to sing it?

Is it bad if I counted until now for example;

1, 2 &, 3 e & a, 4 ? i'm counting and including the melody and humming it like a song.. or I've to stick with quarter notes?
and what do you mean about articulation?

1 e a , 2 & a , e & , 4 e & a - is that the right counting?

just a week ago I've started to learn reading so I just wanna be sure :)

thank you so much

Alex Sanguinetti

Silver Member
I read enough of it to know that it's not something I wanted to waste my time on.

But if it works for someone, more power to 'em.
Yes, of course, but that is something else, I was answering only to your previous comment, about the three hihats and the left side floor tom, that was not part of the book, only a photo, and his comment more kind of a project approach.

Best regards!

Last edited:

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Though there are some benefits to learning most techniques with both hands you can substitute what works for you and your setup.

There are patterns where you ride on something with your left hand while playing hats with your foot, but that's about the extent of it.

Even if you don't play that way there are great benefits in coordination and control. Hopefully you also ge some new ideas.

Takelow

Hi Xindro,

The singing part is not a complicated thing actually.
First, "sing" the pulses (the quarter notes) as you play the system (three limbs invariable 2 bars). You can use either Numbers (1, 2, 3, 4...with or without the subdivisions) or "Da" or "TA"...what you want, no problem here. This would help to internalize the pulse and to know "where the one is". It can be helpfull even for good drummer when it comes to the most difficult exercices of the book.
Then, when you add the melody (fourth limb, variable part), "sing" either the 4th notes, or any of the instrument you play (bass drum or Snare or cymbal or Melody parts). For this, Gary Chester recommand to use a sound that is close to the instrument played ("Boom" for the BD part, "Chick" for the HH part....). It can seems Strange at first, but when in the heart of the exercise, you will understant yourself why singing is important. It allows you to best understand the relatioship between the sounds of the different part of the drum you play.
Hope this would help ;)
Best

Last edited:

brentcn

Platinum Member
My question is how to sing it?

Is it bad if I counted until now for example;

1, 2 &, 3 e & a, 4 ? i'm counting and including the melody and humming it like a song.. or I've to stick with quarter notes?
and what do you mean about articulation?
"1, 2 & 3 a" or "1, 2 & 3 a(4)" if you want to count the rest on beat 4.

1 e a , 2 & a , e & , 4 e & a - is that the right counting?

just a week ago I've started to learn reading so I just wanna be sure :)

thank you so much
"1e a2 &a e& 4e " or "1e a2 &a(3)e& 4e " if you want to count the rest on beat 3.

I hope this helps!

WillCay

Hey guys,

Unfortunately, I can't afford a teacher rn, but I bought a book of Gary Chester,
And I can't really understand how to use it even after reading the intro..

Can someone may explain me in a simple way how to work with it?

and OT, What's the difference between closed/open interpretation in rudiments?

Thank you, good day :)
Why not try free youtube lesson avaliable? Message me if you need links

moxman

Silver Member
I'd highly recommend the New Breed.. it's not easy at first but stick with it and you will find improvements in many aspects of drumming - 5-way independence (the fifth being your brain.. which also helps with singing if that's your thing), improved sense of space and time, and basic reading skills - a long time ago I used to read it in bed every night just for reading practice! You don't need a special setup at all.. - just hands, feet and a brain. Great book!