The New Breed book

xindro

Hey guys,

Unfortunately, I can't afford a teacher rn, but I bought a book of Gary Chester,
And I can't really understand how to use it even after reading the intro..

Can someone may explain me in a simple way how to work with it?

and OT, What's the difference between closed/open interpretation in rudiments?

Thank you, good day :)

Alain Rieder

Silver Member
If you don't understand how to use it, it probably means that it is too early.
My own Time Manipulation Drum Book would be easier to understand at first. Check it out, it is available both in print from my site, and soon as an eBook, distributed by Hudson Music.

Here's what Rick Mattingly said about my book, in Modern Drummer, March 1995.
"For students who are not quite ready for Gary Chester's The New Breed, this book could prove the perfect introduction to some of it's concepts."

Last edited:

xindro

If you don't understand how to use it, it probably means that it is too early.
My own Time Manipulation Drum Book would be easier to understand at first. Check it out, it is available both in print from my site, and soon as an eBook, distributed by Hudson Music.

Here's what Rick Mattingly said about my book, in Modern Drummer, March 1995.
"For students who are not quite ready for Gary Chester's The New Breed, this book could prove the perfect introduction to some of it's concepts."
Thanks for the recommendation, but no.
It's not too early, I wasted enough time until now..
I know how to play, but English isn't my first language, and unfortunately after 10 years of playing to songs,
Just now I've decided to study more seriously :\ , I've been studying off and on with mini monster and RFA..

I started using Alan dawson's book, advanced funk studies, syncopation.

just need someone to explain me the way of using this book in a more simple way :)

Thanks alot again :))

Last edited:

RickP

Gold Member
On pages 9 to 13 are listed 39 systems . These are grooves you play with three limbs . You will see to the left of the system what limbs play what sections . Good so far?

Now once you have the system down . You use the unused limb to play the melody. Melodies are liars on pages 14 to 23.

Pages 24 to 35 are more advanced systems and Melodies .

Does this help ?

Regarding the Systems :
R.H. Is right hand
L.H. Is left hand
R.F. Is right foot
L.F is left foot
Cym. bell - is the bell of the ride cymbal

H.H is Hihat

Cool ?

xindro

On pages 9 to 13 are listed 39 systems . These are grooves you play with three limbs . You will see to the left of the system what limbs play what sections . Good so far?

Now once you have the system down . You use the unused limb to play the melody. Melodies are liars on pages 14 to 23.

Pages 24 to 35 are more advanced systems and Melodies .

Does this help ?

Regarding the Systems :
R.H. Is right hand
L.H. Is left hand
R.F. Is right foot
L.F is left foot
Cym. bell - is the bell of the ride cymbal

H.H is Hihat

Cool ?
First of all, THANK YOU so much, 70 views and you are the only one who responded, really appreciate it :))

I just wanna clarify,

https://prnt.sc/pi4bbs (screenshot)

Is it a Open hi hat on quarter notes, or a bass hit? that little bit confused me,
If it's the bass, so in the reading(1-A) the bass should be doing the melody in 1, & of 2 , 4 at the first measure?

What about the singing?

Again, thank you so much :)

IBitePrettyHard

I gotta admit...I bought the New Breed book years ago, and for whatever reason.....I never really connected with it either. I didn't really get why so many people spoke highly of it.

Maybe it was because it's mostly words and has very few music transcriptions (compared to other books). I was probably turned off by it before giving it a chance.

...and English IS my first language, lol. I have no excuses.

I bought Stick Control at the same time, and THAT book was what connected with me.

Last edited:

xindro

I gotta admit...I bought the New Breed book years ago, and for whatever reason.....I never really connected with it either. I didn't really get why so many people spoke highly of it.

Maybe it was because it's mostly words and has very few music transcriptions (compared to other books). I was probably turned off by it before giving it a chance.

I bought Stick Control around the same time, and THAT book was what connected with me.
How do you convert it to the drum set?

IBitePrettyHard

How do you convert it to the drum set?
Stick Control or New Breed?

@RickP explained New Breed perfectly. I get it now, lol.

Stick Control is more about stickings. The first few pages in particular are extremely valuable. They have simple sticking patterns like RLLLRLLL, RLRRLRLL, LLRLRRLR, RLLRLRRL, etc...

Most people are right-handed and therefore lead with their Right. It's very important to get comfortable leading with both the Left and the Right.

Practice these exercises WITH A METRONOME!

Once you get comfortable with these exercises, it's time to convert them to the kit! It's very simple to explain, yet difficult to master at first.

Substitute every Left hand with your kick foot instead. Then play every Right hand with your kick foot instead. (do this with the HH as well)

You can take it even further by adding straight 8ths on the HH or Ride while your Left hand and kick (or Right hand and kick) are playing the exercises.

Make sense? :)

xindro

Stick Control or New Breed?

@RickP explained New Breed perfectly. I get it now, lol.

Stick Control is more about stickings. The first few pages in particular are extremely valuable. They have simple sticking patterns like RLLLRLLL, RLRRLRLL, LLRLRRLR, RLLRLRRL, etc...

Most people are right-handed and therefore lead with their Right. It's very important to get comfortable leading with both the Left and the Right.

Practice these exercises WITH A METRONOME!

Once you get comfortable with these exercises, it's time to convert them to the kit! It's very simple to explain, yet difficult to master at first.

Substitute every Left hand with your kick foot instead. Then play every Right hand with your kick foot instead. (do this with the HH as well)

You can take it even further by adding straight 8ths on the HH or Ride while your Left hand and kick (or Right hand and kick) are playing the exercises.

Make sense? :)
Yeah, thanks alot! but I'm too low on budget and I think that I can use Alan dawson's book for that too :))

thank you again :)

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I've had New Breed since it came out and I spent a lot of time just learning the first few patterns and reading the simple melodies. It's definitely a book that stretches your reading and coordination. I should probably delve more into it now that I've owned it for what, 30 years now?

wildbill

Platinum Member
I glanced through it when looking for a refresher book, but quickly took a pass on it.
He uses 3 hi hats, and a floor tom to the left side,
and the whole concept of what he was doing was too foreign to me.
Can't teach an old dog new tricks, I guess.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I glanced through it when looking for a refresher book, but quickly took a pass on it.
I didn’t even try to cop his set up. I just looked at it as a reading book and did what I could. That’s how I look at all drum books - reading material. His is just a lot harder than others.

wildbill

Platinum Member
Right in the beginning, he advises to avoid flams when playing two hi hats simultaneously.
It just didn't seem like something I would ever relate to or use.

xindro - you didn't say what your level of experience is.
If you're just starting out, I'd advise spending some time on the fundamentals.
There's lots of places to get hold of them, like here:
There's also lots of youtube stuff available.

If you're a real beginner, with no experience at all,
seriously consider a few lessons, just to get off on the right start.

xindro

Right in the beginning, he advises to avoid flams when playing two hi hats simultaneously.
It just didn't seem like something I would ever relate to or use.

xindro - you didn't say what your level of experience is.
If you're just starting out, I'd advise spending some time on the fundamentals.
There's lots of places to get hold of them, like here:
There's also lots of youtube stuff available.

If you're a real beginner, with no experience at all,
seriously consider a few lessons, just to get off on the right start.
I will put it more clear, I'm playing for 10 years, started at age 11, had 2 teachers which weren't really professional, and I wasted alot of time on playing punk, pop, funk stuff by ear instead of really understanding what's going on.. I know how to play, I just missed alot of "basic knowledge", I'm playing complicated stuff from ear, but not really know what i'm doing..

I hope that I made myself clear, I start to understand and read about drum notation, and get myself aware.
but this book is lil bit more complicated for me to understand alone than alan dawson by john ramsay or 4 way coordination or syncopation ..

So i'm not a beginner, I just missed some important building blocks, that i'm using but not aware of..

anyways, Rick helped me about the stuff, but what with the singing part? and what is a close or open interpretation in John ramsay's book?

And if you have in my mind a book that will benefit my needs, I will buy it..

thank you all! :)

Last edited:

Supernoodle

Here's how New Breed works, there is a simple fixed rhythm to play, and then a line to read with one limb (or your voice) on top of that.

This is very hard to get into but makes a big difference in your playing after a while. It's not mainly about reading but articulation. When I used it I left out some of the more challenging variants (like 16th patterns to read with your hihat foot)

As to open or closed rudiments that means normally just the speed: open = slow, closed = fast; maybe he means playing each stroke as opposed to using bounce? It's a good exercise to slowly speed up and turn on the bounce at some point.

Last edited:

xindro

Here's how New Breed works, there is a simple fixed rhythm to play, and then a line to read with one limb (or your voice) on top of that.

This is very hard to get into but makes a big difference in your playing after a while. It's not mainly about reading but articulation. When I used it I left out some of the more challenging variants (like 16th patterns to read with your hihat foot)

As to open or closed rudiments that means normally just the speed: open = slow, closed = fast; maybe he means playing each stroke as opposed to using bounce? It's a good exercise to slowly speed up and turn on the bounce at some point.
Thank you :> I've seen it.

Is it bad if I counted until now for example;

1, 2 &, 3 e & a, 4 ? i'm counting and including the melody and humming it like a song.. or I've to stick with quarter notes?
and what do you mean about articulation?

1 e a , 2 & a , e & , 4 e & a - is that the right counting?

just a week ago I've started to learn reading so I just wanna be sure :)

thank you so much

Alex Sanguinetti

Silver Member
You have to read music, not just look to the pictures. That was his set up, there is no example where he uses several hi.hat and floor toms.

The concept of the book is something all drumers, with some education, have been doing for years, decades, example, in escence the Chapin is the same with the Jazz ostinato, and the Chapin 2 like Gary Chafee book but instead with interchangeable sheets. But in general everyone was doing these kind of things on their own writting their own examples, at least I did this when I was 14 (in the early 70´s). What Chester did was a whole book about the subject (adding his ingenuity) and also added the singing. The book concentrates on binary subdivisions.

Best regards!

Last edited:

Alex Sanguinetti

Silver Member
This book is not difficult for reading, actually it is a beginner level in that departament what GETS VERY HARD is the COORDINATION as you progress in it.

This is a COORDINATION BOOK
(or Independence book), not really a reading book, although you need ELEMENTARY knowledge of reading to practice it.

If you would be a good reader you can enter in any drumbook shop (I guess they don¨t exist anymore, let´s say a store where there are drum books) look at a couple of pages and inmediatelly know if the book is good, serves your purpose, etc.

Xindro, wich country are you from?

Best regards!

Last edited:

xindro

This book is not difficult for reading, actually it is a beginner level in that departament what GETS VERY HARD is the COORDINATION as you progress in it.

This is a COORDINATION BOOK
(or Indipendence book), not really a reading book, although you need ELEMENTARY knowledge of reading to practice it.

If you would be a good reader you can enter in any drumbook shop (I guess they don¨t exist anymore, let´s say a store where there are drum books) look at a couple of pages and inmediatelly know if the book is good, serves your purpose, etc.

Xindro, wich country are you from?

Best regards!
I believe that every book can has many valuable things in it.. not just one.
Anyways any book will benefit me in the stage I'm at because I wanna improve in a lot of aspects like;
technique
independence/coordination
creativity
time keeping
theory
this is why I'm working with 5 different books;

syncopation, 4 way coord, Alan Dawson, Funk studies, new breed.. but I don't think that anyone care actually

All I was asking is how to practice with New Breed book, because it was strange for me..

And I don't know if i'm doing the "singing" part well enough.

I'm from Israel btw..

good week :)

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Yes. This is not a simple book, but thatæ's why it's good.

You don't want to rush through it. You want to play it well and also do the singing. It's about quality. This is how the Dave's and the Vinnies learned to play so clean.

If you haven't done ostinato with reading exercises before you should probably folllow the order, you should probably do that anyway, but if you think it's easy at first, relax, it gets harder. Much harder. There's a second book, as well.

Also, there's no rule saying you can't make your own ostinatos. As mentioned, people have done this for ages. These guys just started organizing it into method books. You don't get the teacher with the book though and from what I've heard they were all about the music and groove. It don't mean a thing......