The most portable kit?

That's definitely a compact kit but at what cost?

rhrmIFD.png

That's not really a "kit". No toms. No shells, just plastic frames.

I would look at the Odery Cafekit or the newly released Tama Club Jam Flyer.

Odery:

Tama:

I think you can get toms for the Pearl kit, but I guess kick, snare & hat would be a situation it could in some cases work.

Often a cajon or cajoo kit would fit those situaions.

I'm personally looking into the Farmer Footdrums stuff. Not really looking at it as a kit replacement except for those few times you do a quick stunt, but the pieces themselves can be used in a number of ways.

Replacing the snare doesn't make much sense to me unless it's because it's for protecting your good stuff.

The "RIMS" headset purecussion from the 80's paved the way for these. Similar in stature, same concept: frame drums.

The Pearl RT POD is a step up with toms and all being one piece I can tote with ease-and I'm an old man. The little kick on this thing is a cannon. That the original cheap brass, I think, cymbals which it's only a cymbal in looks. The 12 in snare, kick sound good the toms sound great in persons but don't carry-a fun kit to practice and teach a young kid. Actually all the heads are original but I put a new one 12 in tom and used oringal 12 on worn out snare. The clear head sounds good on it. IMG_1690.jpeg

Last edited:
The Pearl RT POD is a step up with toms and all being one piece I can tote with ease-and I'm an old man. The little kick on this thing is a cannon. That the original cheap brass, I think, cymbals which it's only a cymbal in looks. The 12 in snare, kick sound good the toms sound great in persons but don't carry-a fun kit to practice and teach a young kid. Actually all the heads are original but I put a new one 12 in tom and used oringal 12 on worn out snare. The clear head sounds good on it. View attachment 91124
Looking good man!

The DW Low Pro could be a consideration for portable kits . I bought one of these about a month back and was quite pleasantly surprised at how good the Toms and bass sound . I sold the SNOM.

Attachments

• 871333D9-DBD5-40B8-9ED6-F265D38A85F9.jpeg
    871333D9-DBD5-40B8-9ED6-F265D38A85F9.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 8B5CCACD-C740-4998-B306-7D869585F217.jpeg
    8B5CCACD-C740-4998-B306-7D869585F217.jpeg
    71.6 KB · Views: 14
The DW Low Pro could be a consideration for portable kits . I bought one of these about a month back and was quite pleasantly surprised at how good the Toms and bass sound . I sold the SNOM.
Wow those are totally diggable and they look good too! I still can't believe it can carry in that briefcase in the first pic.

Wow those are totally diggable and they look good too! I still can't believe it can carry in that briefcase in the first pic.

The suitcase has an extending handle and wheels .
The Low Pro nested only weighs about 25lbs .

The Low Pro is great for rehearsals or small room gigs if you mic the bass drum . The drums sound far better than I initially thought they would . You always need to play a kit with other musicians to truly get the vibe and ability of it .

The pearl compact traveler kit can sound decent in correct setting. There is a lady on YouTube who uses one in a quiet busking jazz fusion setting with a bass player and a keyboard player and it sounds great. What is stupid to me (and honestly the only reason haven't bought one) is that it comes with a 12" 'snare', not that I have a problem with small drums but this plastic frame and snare fan design already is asking a lot not taking into account the smaller head diameter. Pearl makes and sells THIS EXACT DRUM in 14" size sold through Sweetwater (called the "fatback" or something like that)... Why the hell would they give you the 12" with the kit and sell the 14" as the gimmicky side effect drum. If it was 14/18 I would buy one to literally leave packed up in the trunk of my car 24/7 with a pair of brushes 'just in case'. No wood, no fear of temperature and humidity ruining anything (I live in Florida).

For $600 you can get a pearl midtown: 16b, 10t, 13ft, 13s, dedicated bag set

Last edited:
Most Portable vs Best Portable. They're not the same. I recently bought an INDe Wayfarer for $999. 18x10 kick, 14x10 floor tom, and 10x6 rack tom (no rack hardware the kick is virgin). Extremely portable. Outstanding build quality you could tour with it. Looks great. And sound is very musical. Much more musical and better sounding than many other regular sized kits I've owned. This is a pro-level kit made for easy gigging and travel. It may be Best Portable currently available.Inde14.JPG

Blue with birch, looks solid. Are those new drum heads? The reason I'm asking is because I've never changed the drum heads on my kit yet. I'm only on my second time having a drumkit. Technically I have three right now. A Pearl compact Traveller kit a electric Yamaha and a breakbeats. I messed up the natural shape of my e-kit by too many gigs. I hardly ever play it. I used to own a classic torque kit still have the solar cymbals.

The Pearl RT POD is a step up with toms and all being one piece I can tote with ease-and I'm an old man. The little kick on this thing is a cannon. That the original cheap brass, I think, cymbals which it's only a cymbal in looks. The 12 in snare, kick sound good the toms sound great in persons but don't carry-a fun kit to practice and teach a young kid. Actually all the heads are original but I put a new one 12 in tom and used oringal 12 on worn out snare. The clear head sounds good on it. View attachment 91124
I like the way you are transforming those hats into "sound edge" hats!

Back