The most beautiful drum shells finishes

Mr. The Shepherd...

If someone asked me to guess what kind of wood that kit is from the figuring...there's no way I would have guessed that's ash.

Maybe it's quilted ash? I've just never seen ash like that. It does look awesome. My guess would have been highly figured maple.

The ash figuring on my drum has much darker streaks, chevrons really, along with the lighter part. The streaks on my ash drum go all around the shell horizontally.

Think of a wooden baseball bat

I see no streaks and no horizontal grain. Interesting.

Last edited:
As you guys may know by now, I love my white Prem Gen X lacquer and wonderful Pearl high voltage blue wrap, but if I was pushed to choose another finish... :unsure:
www.drumcenternh.com

I think it may be Tamo Ash...

edit- nope, it's burled ash-
https://www.cymbalfusion.com/yamaha-phx-4pc-drum-set-gloss-natural-ash/

Mr. The Shepherd...

If someone asked me to guess what kind of wood that kit is from the figuring...there's no way I would have guessed that's ash.

Maybe it's quilted ash? I've just never seen ash like that. It does look awesome. My guess would have been highly figured maple.

The ash figuring on my drum has much darker streaks, chevrons really, along with the lighter part. The streaks on my ash drum go all around the shell horizontally.

Last edited:
Close, but no cigar.. (yes, I write my own material)
View attachment 101637
I really don't like anything but chrome hardware. And hardware should be not too bulky.
Lacquered wood without fades, monochrome wraps and some sparkles are what I like most in finishes.

To each their own - you might like those Stone Custom drums, too. :)
View attachment 101643

Yea I gotta admit - as much as I love my Gretsch kit...the finish on my Stone Custom Cherry is stunning.

Attachments

• Symphony.jpg
    Symphony.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 20
I love the glossy finishes that still show the wood grain! Those are gorgeous.
I gotta say I also love the "ominous looking" all black hardware gunmetal set too.

Not sure I will ever be able to eat bananas again>>>Thanks Al!

Mr. The Shepherd...

That is Burl Ash - I had a Yamaha PHX kit with that veneer and a turquoise burst over the veneer with gloss lacquer (see attachment). Great looking kit but very heavy shells to lug aroundA9E49B15-9164-4653-B44D-F4AA20CD6C78.jpegA9E49B15-9164-4653-B44D-F4AA20CD6C78.jpegB8D4DE7B-9DCD-413F-B68F-79EBD3549CB2.jpeg29D862E6-FCC9-46A7-9F46-B743C08A7E40.jpeg

Last edited:
I like blue drums, so I bought these in November 2017. Peace and goodwill.100_0489.JPG

Back