The most beautiful drum shells finishes

I have enough experience with gold plated hardware on guitars and basses to have some disdain for it on a drumset, but I will also agree it has some visual appeal.

I've come to realize I prefer wood snares with stains rather than wraps, in matte or gloss stain single color finishes in almost any color, but not in every shade of every color. ;) Chrome, black chrome, or black hardware is fine. Bursts and fades, on approval.

I wonder very much how is it possible to handle the stage technicians when you have super nice expensive drums, I would not be trilled to let others touch my stuff, scratch it or else.

Are you on the lookout all the time or it's not really a big deal?

I wonder very much how is it possible to handle the stage technicians when you have super nice expensive drums, I would not be trilled to let others touch my stuff, scratch it or else.

Are you on the lookout all the time or it's not really a big deal?
I know what you mean, and for local bar gigs, I AM my own stage technician these days. I set 'em up and tear down myself (though these Ludwigs haven't yet been out of the house, thanks to Covid). I wouldn't want anybody else handling them for the reasons you mentioned, and I definitely wouldn't bring them to anything rowdy or where they're exposed to weather. I have other sets for those type gigs. In fact, the only (occasional) high dollar gigs I have these days that might require a road crew are with a tribute band I'm a part of, and the group owns the drum set (RN2 Gretsch Renowns), so I don't worry about those too much.

20191026_150032_1_1080x.jpg

Last edited:
Through an embarrassing amount of trial and error, I’ve finally come to the conclusion that I prefer matte, natural finishes or gloss stain single color finishes and have adjusted my drum ownership accordingly. No fades or bursts, and (mostly) chrome hardware.

View attachment 101647View attachment 101648View attachment 101649
Curious, did you take all the lug gaskets off yourself?

I just finished doing that to my DW's this past week while doing a total clean job for the first time in 7 years.
There's a sharper, more defined delineation between the edge of the lug and the finish. The flat finish rubber gaskets...they were bigger than the lug...it looks way better without them.

I love blingy finishes as much as the next guy but I find they look dated after a while. I'm all for the "classic" looks - Piano Black, White Marine Pearl, Natural Wood (satin) and so on.

I think that out of all the drum kits I've owned, my older Stage Customs are the most "goes with anything" thanks to their satin Natural Wood finish.

20191220_181827.jpg

Last edited:
Despite my earlier post, if I were to buy a new kit today, it would be in one of these finishes.

View attachment 101652View attachment 101653
Gorgeous.
As a former car paintwork guy and surfboard maker - there was no way I was going for boring wood on my first kit - with so many amazing wraps and lacquer finishes to choose from (marine pearl just looks miraculous to me) - but one look at this satin wood finish Screenshot_20210227-225925.jpgand I was hooked.

Last edited:
Curious, did you take all the lug gaskets off yourself?

I just finished doing that to my DW's this past week while doing a total clean job for the first time in 7 years.
There's a sharper, more defined delineation between the edge of the lug and the finish. The flat finish rubber gaskets...they were bigger than the lug...it looks way better without them.

Uncle Larry, I’m not positive that either DW set had gaskets. The green one is from April 1995 and the natural one is from March 1997. Maybe DW didn’t use gaskets that far back? At any rate, they were off every drum when I got each set (13 drums total).

Through an embarrassing amount of trial and error, I’ve finally come to the conclusion that I prefer matte, natural finishes or gloss stain single color finishes and have adjusted my drum ownership accordingly. No fades or bursts, and (mostly) chrome hardware.

View attachment 101647
I have the same finish on my DW (as seen on my avatar) and it's the best looking (and sounding) kit I've ever owned.

Saw DeJohnette at Fat Tuesdays in NY in December of '82. I was in awe of his Sonor Signature Series set. Absolutely beautiful finish.

I've always been a fan of monotone lacquer finishes, though a few of the more subtle burst lacquers are pretty nice too.

My dream kit would probably be gloss clear (or a honey amber) over birdseye maple...There's something about that veneer I've always loved.

How about the semi-gloss Cloudbreak Blue Fade with Red hardware.

View attachment 101689

But I prefer the lacquer finish Scorched Copper Burst. Still digging it after 15 years.

View attachment 101691
Copper Starburst looks like it was first revealed to mankind via the Hubble Telescope ?
Congrats to that surfer on his colour sense. That deep blue was crying out for a red accent ?

Back