The most beautiful drum shells finishes

Yamaha Rider

As you guys may know by now, I love my white Prem Gen X lacquer and wonderful Pearl high voltage blue wrap, but if I was pushed to choose another finish... :unsure:
www.drumcenternh.com
I'm calling it 'Wasp Gloop'

s1212z

I believe the finish has an impact on resonance of the shell itself and some resonate better than others. I prefer an oil/matte finishes opposed to gloss/lacquer. Wraps have their own sound. Some finishes look great in the day light but not so good in other lightings.

toddmc

Gold Member
I believe the finish has an impact on resonance of the shell itself and some resonate better than others. I prefer an oil/matte finishes opposed to gloss/lacquer. Wraps have their own sound. Some finishes look great in the day light but not so good in other lightings.
That's an interesting point - has anyone actually carried out testing on this?
I would have thought the effect of wraps on the overall sound of the drum would be negligible...

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I would have thought the effect of wraps on the overall sound of the drum would be negligible...
Jammin Sam says it has no impact. But he's in business of selling wrap.

If a stained shell gets wrapped, it's adding mass, which should raise the pitch, and maybe shorten the note, but aid in unmiced projection. On paper.

How much you can hear that stuff....the world may never know lol.

s1212z

Canopus claims to change their edge and shell construction according to their finish. This is getting into really small fine details, but drums are a simple instrument so several small details (if accounted) can contribute and only of course if a nuanced player can actually take advantage.

Conceptually it makes sense but really need a proper experiment to listen to. Shell resonance is a topic within itself, and it’s actual contribution to entire scope is relative and likely very small factor. Just for finishes, a wrap and non-wrap do not resonate a shell the same way, there is no way. Whether it’s audible depends but probably only noticeable in low or low-mid dynamic, not if slamin’ (speculating, seems to be the case on a multitude of different drum factors, a reason why can’t stand reviews that just bash). As for the lacquer vs non-lacquer, this really hasn’t evaluated properly either IMO but it essentially turns a drum into an M&M. If at the very least, wraps and lacquers change mass, not as drastic as other components of course.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
That is Burl Ash - I had a Yamaha Pahax kit with that veneer and a turquoise burst over the veneer with gloss lacquer (see attachment). Great looking kit but very heavy shells to lug around
Cool. Burl ash. Really gorgeous. Very different from regular ash

someguy01

No fades (leave that to Foose, he does it best), No burst finishes either. Solid, in ya face colours are my jam ('cept that nasty Sonor thing in the would you thread). and some of the sparkle wraps.

preview.jpg

Tamaefx

Silver Member
I like understated finishes, no burst no fade.
Clear maple, Birdseye maple, black, slightly sparkle black, white, pearlescent white, transparent cherry, ... classic finishes.
I don’t like gold or black HW.

vyacheslav

Even though it's a wrap on a semi lower end kit, I really dig this "Driftwood" wrap on the Mapex Mars series. Very cool looking!

Attachments

• ma486siw_2_hr.jpg
    ma486siw_2_hr.jpg
    405 KB · Views: 19