The Monkees "Goin Down"

Jhostetler

So, I'm a huge fan of the Monkees. This song has been one of my all time favorites since I first heard it back in high school. My question is: did Mickey Dolenz play the drums to this track? I know for the first portion of the band's existence they brought in studio musicians to record the music. And all questions aside, I just love this song and thought I'd share. Mickey is seriously underrated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnzrGr78Mws

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
the snare work seems a little complex for Mickeys talents as I remember

"Goin' Down" (Extended Mono Mix)

Written by Diane Hilderbrand, Peter Tork, Michael Nesmith, Micky Dolenz and David Jones
Lead vocal by Micky Dolenz
Electric guitar: Michael Nesmith
Bass: Peter Tork
Drums: Eddie Hoh
Percussion: Davy Jones
Trumpet: Bud Brisbois, Virgil Evans, Uan Rasey, Thomas Scott
Trombone: Louis Blackburn, Richard Leith, Richard Nash, Philip Teelee
Saxophone: William Collette, William Hood, Plas Johnson, John Lowe

Edward "Fast Eddie" Hoh (October 16, 1944 – November 7, 2015) was an American rock drummer who was active in the 1960s. Although primarily a studio session and touring drummer, Hoh exhibited a degree of originality and showmanship that set him apart and several of his contributions have been singled out for acknowledgment by music critics. Often uncredited and unknown to audiences, he played the drums on several well-known rock songs and albums, including those by Donovan and the Monkees. He also performed at the seminal 1967 Monterey Pop Festival as a member of the Mamas and the Papas touring band. In 1968, he participated in the recording of Super Session, the highly successful 1968 Mike Bloomfield/Al Kooper/Stephen Stills collaboration album. However, his flurry of activity came to an end by the early 1970s and has since remained out of the public eye.

Last edited:

Super Phil

That song is really cool..., great drumming. A few years back my brother was in a half way house-type of facility, and Eddie Hoh was in there also.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
If you watch the move "The Wrecking Crew" Mickey Dolenz is pretty upfront that he didn't consider himself a drummer, he considered himself an actor, and in his mind, of course studio drummers would play on the studio versions.

As opposed to Peter Tork who was pretty upset that he wasn't actually playing on all the early stuff.

EDIT: Although, of course, Dolenz did learn how to play drum and did drum on later albums.

Last edited:

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
That song is really cool..., great drumming. A few years back my brother was in a half way house-type of facility, and Eddie Hoh was in there also.
My MONKEE's connection says Hoh played a lot of Blues with the older, original cats in Chicago, he could shuffle his a.. off. When asked what put him over, the answer was that he did a lot of acid, loved it.

Jhostetler

the snare work seems a little complex for Mickeys talents as I remember

"Goin' Down" (Extended Mono Mix)

Written by Diane Hilderbrand, Peter Tork, Michael Nesmith, Micky Dolenz and David Jones
Lead vocal by Micky Dolenz
Electric guitar: Michael Nesmith
Bass: Peter Tork
Drums: Eddie Hoh
Percussion: Davy Jones
Trumpet: Bud Brisbois, Virgil Evans, Uan Rasey, Thomas Scott
Trombone: Louis Blackburn, Richard Leith, Richard Nash, Philip Teelee
Saxophone: William Collette, William Hood, Plas Johnson, John Lowe
Awesome, thanks for the info! Yeah, I always thought that Mickey was a much better singer than drummer. Didn't know that the wrecking crew worked with them this early.

NVIC

My MONKEE's connection says Hoh played a lot of Blues with the older, original cats in Chicago, he could shuffle his a.. off.
"Monkees connection"? Love it!

Just finally saw their film "Head" recently. Cool stuff. They are still way underrated. They cut some great LPs.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Man that is one hot drum track. I never heard of this guy Eddie Hoh. I feel bad for his sisters lol. Eddie sounds like he was really well rooted with impeccable technique.
Cool ass song too. I love songs with rapid fire lyrics.

KnuckleBuster

Man that is one hot drum track. I never heard of this guy Eddie Hoh. I feel bad for his sisters lol. Eddie sounds like he was really well rooted with impeccable technique.
Cool ass song too. I love songs with rapid fire lyrics.
You mean Sheeza and Whazza?