the magical unintentional hi hat tap

moontheloon

Silver Member
on my bop kit where I play primarily traditional grip ....the height of my hi hat (which is fairly low when I play jazz) allows me to grab these fantastic taps with the butt of the left stick occasionally when reaching for the rack tom

these started unintentionally but I have recently started to develop this and use it to my advantage

it adds such a nice dimension when exploring the kit......especially when "chicking" 2 and 4 on the hats and catching that occasional open hat

anyone else use this technique ?

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
I'm usually spending my time trying not to make unintentional things happen when playing "for reals" but when I'm just practicing, sometimes I'll develop things that happened on accident. I'd wager a good portion of the "new" ideas we hear out there were at infancy a mistake.

8Mile

Platinum Member
I've done it unintentionally and the thought occurred to me that I should try to woodshed it and find a way to work it into something I could use, but I never have. So, I do what I do whenever I make a mistake: Play it again to make it sound intentional. :)

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Moonie let one of his tricks out of the bag eh? I'd be stupid not to experiment with that. I'll get back to you and tell you if I can get it together.