The Ludwig Acrolite

Well this is a very interesting thread! I do have a question though. I have two Acrolites (one from the early 70's and a 1966) and the 1966 one has 10 lugs. I have tried to find out info on this one but I only found one website that briefly mentions it and they say that it's rare. Do you know anything about this one ludwigvondrumcrazy? Anyone? Thanks!
Please post some detailed pics? Thanks.

I just thought I would bump this thread to confirm something:

6.5 Keystone Acrolites exist! Even more interesting is they have 10 lugs instead of 8, so it is basically a 6.5 Supra. Apparently there was a line of a 100 or so made for the NYC school district. I wonder what a going price would be for one of those.

attachment.php

I have no knowledge of 100 drums being made for the NYC school district but I have a 10 lug bowtie , P-85- 12 hole throw, 6.5 X 14 supraphonic/ Acrolite? This snare came with a 11pc anniversary set of ludwigs I bought for my son on Sept.21,1984 and it took about 2 months to recieve them. I,am in the process of restoring them now. I CANNOT find any info about this drum. It has the larger keystone badge of the 80s but it has LUDWIG DRUM CO. CHICAGO U.S.A. It does not have any serial number on it (unusual).All the toms and 24" & 22" bass also have the larger keystone 80s badges, but all have serial numbers on them but, with Ludwig Drum Co. on them not Monroe NC. The 11 pc set is listed in the 75th anniversary ludwig catalog but the pictures of them show the blue/olive badges not the keystones. BUT the 6.5 X 14" metal snare with the bowtie lugs(Acrolite? Supra?) and large keystone badge without any numbers remains a mystery that I cannot resolve. I,ve tried the vintage site but the drums are not considered vintage yet and they have no info for me. I feel the 75 anniversary sets have something to do with this unusual snare. Does anyone have more input? TMTM

I have no knowledge of 100 drums being made for the NYC school district but I have a 10 lug bowtie , P-85- 12 hole throw, 6.5 X 14 supraphonic/ Acrolite? This snare came with a 11pc anniversary set of ludwigs I bought for my son on Sept.21,1984 and it took about 2 months to recieve them. I,am in the process of restoring them now. I CANNOT find any info about this drum. It has the larger keystone badge of the 80s but it has LUDWIG DRUM CO. CHICAGO U.S.A. It does not have any serial number on it (unusual).All the toms and 24" & 22" bass also have the larger keystone 80s badges, but all have serial numbers on them but, with Ludwig Drum Co. on them not Monroe NC. The 11 pc set is listed in the 75th anniversary ludwig catalog but the pictures of them show the blue/olive badges not the keystones. BUT the 6.5 X 14" metal snare with the bowtie lugs(Acrolite? Supra?) and large keystone badge without any numbers remains a mystery that I cannot resolve. I,ve tried the vintage site but the drums are not considered vintage yet and they have no info for me. I feel the 75 anniversary sets have something to do with this unusual snare. Does anyone have more input? TMTM

TMTM, there is a local guy who has a similar Supra from the same time frame who brought his into a friend's Drum Shop and when I saw it my first impression was that someone had swapped out the Lugs. After looking at it closely I wasn't so sure considering he said he bought it new like that. Since then I have seen at least one posted on another forum and have heard of a couple of others that the owners stated were special order's, so, while not common, there are others out there. In fact there is a 400 (5 x 14) currently on eBay but won't be there long since it looks like a one day listing and has a Buy It Now for $300, item #260227638960.

1984 was around the time that Selmer was getting ready to move Ludwig to North Carolina and based on what I've seen you never know what you might find on Drums from this time-frame. I do know that Ludwig used the Badge you described on the last Drums manufactured in Chicago and when it comes to Catalog images you can take those with a grain of salt using them only as a rough reference to what the Company may have been sending out to their Dealers. I also would'nt be surprised to hear of other Badges, Chicago large Keystones or Blue & Olive that should have serial numbers but don't. Ludwig, as well as other large manufacturing Companies, had / have a tendency to do things like this, either intentionally or unintentionally, your guess is as good as mine. Because of this I often find myself using the term "It is what it is" because trying to make sense of it all can consume a lot of time with no definitive answer when all is said & done..............

LVDC

Last edited:
Ok here are pics of the 10 lug Acrolite I was referring to. I had to replace the heads (of course), the snare wires (they were in bad shape) and the throw off. I included a pic of the original throw off. The only thing I could find on the intarweb about it is here:

http://www.mikedolbear.co.uk/story.asp?StoryID=547&Source=Archive&txtSearch=

There is a picture of it too. Thanks for any info!

Attachments

• badge.JPG
    badge.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 5,695
  • side.JPG
    side.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 5,714
  • throwoff.JPG
    throwoff.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 5,674
  • date.JPG
    date.JPG
    12.7 KB · Views: 5,642
  • insidemark.JPG
    insidemark.JPG
    12.5 KB · Views: 5,678
  • top.JPG
    top.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 5,667
TMTM, there is a local guy who has a similar Supra from the same time frame who brought his into a friend's Drum Shop and when I saw it my first impression was that someone had swapped out the Lugs. After looking at it closely I wasn't so sure considering he said he bought it new like that. Since then I have seen at least one posted on another forum and have heard of a couple of others that the owners stated were special order's, so, while not common, there are others out there. In fact there is a 400 (5 x 14) currently on eBay but won't be there long since it looks like a one day listing and has a Buy It Now for $300, item #260227638960.

1984 was around the time that Selmer was getting ready to move Ludwig to North Carolina and based on what I've seen you never know what you might find on Drums from this time-frame. I do know that Ludwig used the Badge you described on the last Drums manufactured in Chicago and when it comes to Catalog images you can take those with a grain of salt using them only as a rough reference to what the Company may have been sending out to their Dealers. I also would'nt be surprised to hear of other Badges, Chicago large Keystones or Blue & Olive that should have serial numbers but don't. Ludwig, as well as other large manufacturing Companies, had / have a tendency to do things like this, either intentionally or unintentionally, your guess is as good as mine. Because of this I often find myself using the term "It is what it is" because trying to make sense of it all can consume a lot of time with no definitive answer when all is said & done..............

LVDC
Thanks for all the info on my (I think) unusual snare. As you may properly assume I am not a collector of drums but an old rocker(still playing). I have a 68-69 4 piece set of Oyster Black Pearl ludwigs that I bought new in 1970. The supra with this set is a 1970 blue/olive badge lulalloy and has always had a beautiful sound to it. My son is now playing it (Studio&Stage). The 6.5 X 14 snare that came with the 1984 anniversary set also has a beautiful sound to it and my son has asked if I could restore it so he could use it also. As you probly know this is in contrast to some players & collectors that say the keystone badge interrupts the contact of the head with the rim producing a different sound(mine does not).I have all the paperwork from 1984 when I ordered the set and I have researched the basic set sofar, but this snare has always lead me to dead ends. So I will use your saying "It is what it is" as some anomalys that the Ludwig Co. has had during their various transition periods. SO: I appreciate your very knowledgable input to this ongoing mystery of mine and will most likely have more questions during the restoring of this set. THANKS! TMTM

Hey LVDC,

I have a 1978 Acrolite I bought from eBay, it's in fairly good shape cosmetically. Of course, I need to clean up any grime/film/etc from the shell as well as clean and buff/shine the rims and other chrome bits.

What products and/or methods do you recommend for restoring this drum? I know the shell is some kind of anodized finish so I don't know what to use on it. I have other products like Flitz and Never Dull to use for the chrome.

Thanks!

Trip, Flitz goes thru stains & discoloration on an anodized Acrolite like a hot knife thru butter and is actually more effective on that finish than any other I've used it on. Below is a before (after pre-Flitz washing) & after of a mid-60's anodized Acrolite........

238252599.jpg

238252662.jpg

LVDC

Last edited:
Hi, I'm an italian user, sorry for my english.

I have to show you some photos of my 10-lugs 14x5 acrolite:

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/8022/1000428zi4.jpg
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/4053/1000429sq3.jpg
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/9383/1000430vs4.jpg
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/6218/1000431fx6.jpg
http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/1576/1000432lh0.jpg

What can you tell me about it? is it a rare model?
what about the serial number? isn't it low?

thanks for your help, I haven't found any information about it on the web

I just picked this up on Ebay today....1970 Acrolite the whole kit....very nice condition. I tried a newer one at GC. I liked the sound even compared to a 14"x5" Supra Phonic. Can't wait to get it and tune it up. $129.00...Can't beat the price!

Any head suggestions from other Acrolite users?

2347_1.JPG

267a_1.JPG

288a_1.JPG

Nice ^^ You'll love it. single ply medium weight head like Aquarian Satin finish texture coated, Remo ambassador or Evans G1 should do the job great.

Here's mine with before and after restoration/cleaning process

Before

Acrolitenearwithrust.jpg

After

Acrolitefrontclean2.jpg

Hey....that cleaned up nicely! I haven't tried Aquarian heads yet....I mostly use Evans, but I may just give that a try. Thanks for the advice!

According to the info. found in this post and coinciding with the Ludwig serial no. utility I have a 1976 Acrolite with the sharp edged B&O badge. I found it on craig's from a guy in my town. He delivered it to me expecting a price of $50 (he obviously didn't know what he had). I discovered there was a major dent on the snare side hoop so I was able to talk him down to $40 since I knew I'd have to replace that hoop. It came with original weatherking heads and original snare wires. I have replaced both top and bottom hoops (held onto the top since it was in fine condition), and decided to keep the original snares since they were in near perfect shape. I went with an Evans Genera Dry batter and an Evans Glass reso. so you could see the magic that is the inside of a vintage Acro. Slight pitting around the shell, but cleaned up nicely with no more than a damp cloth. I lubed the tension rods with vasoline upon replacing the heads and hoops. They screwed back in with ease and she tunes up like a dream. I have definitely bought into all the hype of vintage Acrolites. Their versatility is simply amazing. The throw-off, after all these years, still works like a champ. Easy fluidity to and from snare. I am pretty sure that my current Pearl Exports (refinished of course) and my beautiful badazz Acrolite snare will carry me through my entire career. Thanks for this great post LVDC. Extremely informative, and makes me even more proud to know I own one of the most timeless percussion instruments in history.

Last edited:
Thanks for this great post LVDC. Extremely informative, and makes me even more proud to know I own one of the most timeless percussion instruments in history.

You're quite welcome! I'm glad to see that this thread is still serving it's purpose by providing the basics on such a sweet, versatile snare, which, as you mentioned, is indeed proving timeless.............

LVDC

I have a 1967 Acrolite Snare that I got my hands on in 1979. I've played so many snares since but always went back to the Acro. I've contemplated many times selling and buying something else but after 30 years of playing I just can't find anything I like better. I have a Tama Pancake Snare I play along side but that's as far as I've branched out in recent years. The Acro is so versatile that I've played it in every setting you can imagine. I've one ongoing problem though that I'm hoping you guys can help me with.

I have to re-tie the snare strings almost weekly. I have tried different methods throughout the years but the strings are only good for a couple of nights of playing before I have to re-tie them. Now I know strings stretch to some degree but have you guys found a method or substitute that keeps the authenticity of the drum but makes it more durable?

I'll tell you what, this is a GREAT thread when it comes to Acros. Lots o' history and knowledge.

Just an inquiry, though. For my upcoming birthday, my father has agreed to get me an Acro (step up from the stock Tama!) and I'm just not sure if there are differences between the older and newer models.
I'm just wondering, are there many differences between a Black Galaxy model and a previous Silver model (besides the paint job)?

I'll tell you what, this is a GREAT thread when it comes to Acros. Lots o' history and knowledge.

Just an inquiry, though. For my upcoming birthday, my father has agreed to get me an Acro (step up from the stock Tama!) and I'm just not sure if there are differences between the older and newer models.
I'm just wondering, are there many differences between a Black Galaxy model and a previous Silver model (besides the paint job)?

Everything you need to know about acrolite is here -> http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=348219&postcount=1

Back