The Ludwig Acrolite

I just did a first recording with the Acrolite and start to understand some of the Ludwig Supraphonic / Acrolite snare hype. This drum records pretty well and seems to blend great with the drumkit and song.

Great buy, I like it a lot - and I own several other good snares.

Today I picked up a Black Galaxy Acrolite at the local pawn shop. $80 with ufo case. Excellent shape. Sounded great right out of the case! Also, I was reading back into this thread and realized I also have an Acro with the 12 hole strainer with the grommet.

Attachments

• blacro.jpg
    blacro.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 1,624
  • Acro 1.jpg
    Acro 1.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 1,602
I got a '79 BO Acrolite as my first snare upgrade few months after I picked up drumming. I enjoyed the sound and for $70 with new heads. I think it's an awesome snare!

While doing some research on the Acolite I stumbled upon this thread…

Finally found the Acro that I was looking for last week on craigslist! Sounds freakin sweet! Been using it non-stop since I picked it up!

Paid $135
431803_4946508426813_427501092_n.jpg

WOW sweet!!
There were a few like this (my fave too) at the Chicago show, and they were between $175- $225 (the nicer shells being $225).
Nice score!!

heres one of my acro's!! just had another given to me. i want to do something different with it. thinkin about the trick lugs. what do some of you suggest? only has 3 lugs on it and the hoops.

I just picked up an Acrolite from a local music store today for $100. It is a little dirty and scuffed up with some rust showing. I wasn't really planning on buying anything when I walked in there. But I started tapping on this thing and it just sounded so good even in its very used condition. So I got it knowing what a versatile and classic snare drum this is.

They told me in the store it was from the 1970's, but after reading this thread, it seems that the Blue and Olive badge with rounded corners and serial #' that start with a 3 would put it in the late 80's. The thing that has me puzzled is that it has a black face P-85 with 12 holes, just like the one in the mid-70's catalog. So, I guess somebody changed the strainer for an older one. Mine is gray powder coated.

I'm thinking now that $100 was not that great of a deal, especially since I have to do a lot of work to do to clean it up. But the sound is really nice and I think that's what really sold me. I was kinda looking for another snare drum to buy so I saw this one and just had to have it. I'll be eating p-nut butter and jelly sandwiches for the next 2 weeks, but it's worth it, I think. I am now the proud owner of a Ludwig snare drum! Exciting stuff....huh?

Last edited:
Today I picked up a Black Galaxy Acrolite at the local pawn shop. $80 with ufo case. Excellent shape. Sounded great right out of the case! Also, I was reading back into this thread and realized I also have an Acro with the 12 hole strainer with the grommet.

So what year is your gray Acro because I have the same exact one?

I think $100 for any Acro in halfway decent shape is a reasonable cost. clean it up, play it for the rest of your life.

I'm thinking now that $100 was not that great of a deal, especially since I have to do a lot of work to do to clean it up. But the sound is really nice and I think that's what really sold me. I was kinda looking for another snare drum to buy so I saw this one and just had to have it. I'll be eating p-nut butter and jelly sandwiches for the next 2 weeks, but it's worth it, I think. I am now the proud owner of a Ludwig snare drum! Exciting stuff....huh?

I don't think you overpaid. 100 for a timeless snare is a good deal IMO.

I don't think you overpaid. 100 for a timeless snare is a good deal IMO.

Yes, you guys are right. I just spent a couple hours tis afternoon shining it up and getting the rust off of it. Don't have enough money for new heads yet, not really. Found out there are 2 missing mounting screws for the lugs and there is a little ding on the side in addition to the little scratches. I'm amazed how well a 150 grit sanding sponge did removing the rust, you can hardly tell how rusty it was. It's pretty now and I think it's a keeper. Yep, I'm jazzed. Now I'm gonna go try it out at practice.

Not the greatest quality pic, but...

Scored me a Blacrolite off of Craigslist. Heads were a bit beat up and it needs new wires, but everything else is near mint condition. Came with the big snare bag, a stick bag, and a Ludwig stand. I'll let my daughter use this one (I have my own Acro ;) ). The best part was the price: $50. Even came with a free drum key, lol. The new head is one of those tattoo skyns from Remo I found on clearance. Figured it'd beat a dented head... Matches the drum rather well, though.

I have to say it is interesting owning a few of these. The Blacro is tuned around medium or so. My Blue Acro (Bluecro??) is tuned quite high for a more poppy sound (still pretty full sounding, though. It isn't choked.). And I have one of their close cousins, the Ludwig Standard (seamless aluminum shell, but with no bead), which is tuned fairly fat and low (2 ply head and moongel to get it wet and fat). They all sound similar, yet they have their individual character. It is quite nice. I can really see why there is so much love for this drum!

Attachments

• 1239702_10151928070150934_60516775_n.jpg
    1239702_10151928070150934_60516775_n.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 1,287
That's a nice find. It's cool that you can start your daughter out on that drum. She will appreciate the history as well as the sound.

Hello All,

Posting this in a couple of forums... I have an interesting one that I'm hoping someone can shed some light on. It's a 5x14 Silver Acrolite, 10 Imperial Lugs, Large Keystone, P85, Round Muffler, and it's stamped "490" inside. The hoops are also interesting. At first I thought someone refinished a supra, but when I took it apart, the shell is consistent inside and out. Doesn't appear to be tampered with. This drum was found in North Carolina... maybe a Ludwig employee made something fun one day? I know all about the NYS Dept of Education 70's 6.5's, but this appears to be a late 90's 5x14. Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks!
Andrew

Attachments

• Ludwig 5x14 Acrolite 10 Lug Web-6.jpg
    Ludwig 5x14 Acrolite 10 Lug Web-6.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 1,212
  • Ludwig 5x14 Acrolite 10 Lug Web-5.jpg
    Ludwig 5x14 Acrolite 10 Lug Web-5.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 1,372
  • Ludwig 5x14 Acrolite 10 Lug Web-4.jpg
    Ludwig 5x14 Acrolite 10 Lug Web-4.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 1,220
  • Ludwig 5x14 Acrolite 10 Lug Web-3.jpg
    Ludwig 5x14 Acrolite 10 Lug Web-3.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 1,221
  • Ludwig 5x14 Acrolite 10 Lug Web-2.jpg
    Ludwig 5x14 Acrolite 10 Lug Web-2.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 1,465
  • Ludwig 5x14 Acrolite 10 Lug Web-1.jpg
    Ludwig 5x14 Acrolite 10 Lug Web-1.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 1,232
Just scored a nice Acro, supposedly no scratches or dents. Pic looks great. Looking for forward to getting it.

Attachments

• Acro.JPG
    Acro.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 1,180
Nice one GBH!

NYC, that could be a one off for someone, (endorser or employee). It's not unheard of for Ludwig to do something like this.

If it didn't have the stamp, you'd just assume someone refurbed a Supra because of the 10 lugs. The hoops are a stumper though. They look like the chrome has been removed. They don't look like the Brushed Aluminum finish my (2012) Acro Classic LTD has. These look shinier.

It could also be that someone just DID refurb a Supra shell, the hoops and did their own stamp. THAT isn't impossible either, A stamp (and ink for metal) is easy to get, and they're cheap. Someone could easily fake a "rare" snare, but maybe you got your hands on something one of a kind. That would be cool.
It's a really nice drum regardless!

Maybe contact WFL3 (like a facebook message) with some pics and see what he has to say. Todd Trent would be a good one to ask as well. he is on FB too.
Both are very nice guys.

Enjoy that snare!

If someone is trying to fake something, the hoops are all wrong. They look powder coated. It looks like the badge is stamped with a number. Pro photography. Hmmm.

Wow, I just rec'd my Acro today. Its just as it was advertised. Man, this thing could almost pass as new. I found maybe one tiny little scratch-that's it. I'm super happy with this purchase. I've always wanted a nice raw aluminum Acro, and now I have one! I don't need to change out anything on it. Its got heads in good shape that I actually like and Puresound wires, which are additional reasons I bought this particular one. The P-85 is even in great shape, nice and smooth. This drum looks like it was barely ever used.

Attachments

• ACRO.JPG
    ACRO.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 1,134
  • ACRO1.JPG
    ACRO1.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 1,131
Back