The Ludwig Acrolite

Skitch

Pioneer Member
I found my current Acrolite in a pawn shop. It seems just about every drummer has had one of these at one time or another. I have been using this drum quite a bit lately, as it has become the field test for the Trick throw-off and butt retrokits, which make me like it more. It is alos worht noting that the DW Aluminum snare drums sound quite similiar to the acrolite.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw

ludwigvondrumcrazy

Just an inquiry, though. For my upcoming birthday, my father has agreed to get me an Acro (step up from the stock Tama!) and I'm just not sure if there are differences between the older and newer models.
I'm just wondering, are there many differences between a Black Galaxy model and a previous Silver model (besides the paint job)?
Drew, to me there isn't much, if any, difference between the Black Galaxy or the earlier powder coated Acrolites, on the other hand, I do feel that there is a noticeable difference between any of the powder coated Acro's and the earlier anodized 404's. Which one is best? Well, that's straight up a personal preference kinda thing with my top choice being the older anodized Acrolites............

All things being equal (same heads) I feel that the anodized shell can resonate / vibrate "more freely" than those with the thicker powder coating so, as a result, allow a wider range of tones / sounds. One thing is certain, you can always dampen the resonance on an anodized 404 with the Internal Tone Control, or tuning, but you can only open up a powder coated Acro so far. With that said, since the Acro, normally, has only eight Lugs, as opposed to the Supra-Phonic's ten, even the powder coated Acro's will give plenty of resonance so you won't be dissapointed with a 404 that has either coating.

Bottom line here is, if you like a nice tight snare sound the powder coated version would be the best choice, if you tend to prefer a wide open sound then the anodized 404 would be the better choice. Either way, it's all good!

LVDC

T

TheArchitect

Drew, to me there isn't much, if any, difference between the Black Galaxy or the earlier powder coated Acrolites, on the other hand, I do feel that there is a noticeable difference between any of the powder coated Acro's and the earlier anodized 404's. Which one is best? Well, that's straight up a personal preference kinda thing with my top choice being the older anodized Acrolites............

All things being equal (same heads) I feel that the anodized shell can resonate / vibrate "more freely" than those with the thicker powder coating so, as a result, allow a wider range of tones / sounds. One thing is certain, you can always dampen the resonance on an anodized 404 with the Internal Tone Control, or tuning, but you can only open up a powder coated Acro so far. With that said, since the Acro, normally, has only eight Lugs, as opposed to the Supra-Phonic's ten, even the powder coated Acro's will give plenty of resonance so you won't be dissapointed with a 404 that has either coating.

Bottom line here is, if you like a nice tight snare sound the powder coated version would be the best choice, if you tend to prefer a wide open sound then the anodized 404 would be the better choice. Either way, it's all good!

LVDC
I agree completely. You really can't go wrong but you can fine tune to taste!

DrewTheShoe

LVDC
Thanks Ludwig, that was extremely helpful and will definitely help in my potential purchase. :)

oops

Silver Member
I'm looking at getting an Acrolite, but kind of keen to change out the stock snare wires for a 42-strand.

Is there any way to do this with the original snare mountings (with the 12 holes)?

freehandstyle

hey guys, i'm grabbing an Acrolite in a few hours and i was just wondering what year this snare is? I used to own a '76 Supra but later sold and now deeply regret...

Thanks in advance and can't wait to get my hands on this baby!

KaBoom21

Powder coating and rounded badge indicate '79-84. I did a quick search but only came up w/ serial number guides through '79, when the blue/olive badge changed from pointy to rounded and the powder coating was added.

Looks to be in great shape!

freehandstyle

Powder coating and rounded badge indicate '79-84. I did a quick search but only came up w/ serial number guides through '79, when the blue/olive badge changed from pointy to rounded and the powder coating was added.

Looks to be in great shape!
thanks for the heads up!
I just got it and oh my it's in perfect condition.

No rust, no pit with a super sturdy and healthy strainer.

Much better condition than the '76 Supraphonic i had before.
Can't wait to play with it when i go back to my practice place!

drumhammerer

Silver Member
hey guys, i'm grabbing an Acrolite in a few hours and i was just wondering what year this snare is? I used to own a '76 Supra but later sold and now deeply regret...

Thanks in advance and can't wait to get my hands on this baby!

I see that drum has a powerstroke X on it. That's actually a great head for that drum, but I would remove the muffling ring. I've got the one with the dot on top, but with the muffling ring removed, and it sounds great. Super fat tone, yet it still has that single ply head response. I could never use one ply heads on snares before because of durability issues, but these heads are extremely durable. That drum there is also the same year/model that I have, although yours is in better condition.

Chazz

Hey Thank you "LVDC", for posting this informative article
on the Ludwig Acrolite snare drum!
very cool!

nicolai185

Hey, the info on the Acrolites is great! Thanks for doing that. I realize this is a few years after the original post... but I have a question about my acrolite...

It is has the older keystone badge, but it doesn't have a serial number on the badge. From what I've read, this should mean that it's dated between 1961 and 1963. The inside says Sept 1, and it looks like 1970, but it's pretty smudged and hard to read so it could be a variety of things I guess.

What I'd really like to know, is does the fact that it's a 1961-1963 no serial number badge make it any more valuable than the other keystone badge acrolites? Is mine even a regular acrolite? I've noticed in many of the pictures that they have a little lever looking thing off the side of the drum and mine has something that's circular and more like a dial. (and I'm not talking about the snare release). I can take more pictures and measure if necessary. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

Dom Chandler

Hi guys, I have just been going through some of my old drum stuff and come across an old Acrolite that I presumed was from the late eighties, as it happens after reading this thread (not all of it)it appears my drum is from 63ish!
It doesn't have the original hoops, these we're changed for shiny unbranded chrome triple flange ones (oops) and the strainer has been replaced with a later model (still ludwig, rather than the holes for the twine it just has a clamp for strapping) also oops!
I am thinking about selling it, anyone know how much (£'s) i'd be looking at getting for it, it's in reasonable condition, for it's age it's pretty good actually.
Badge number is 480222.
Cheers
Dom

synergy

Hey guys, great thread!

I love my acro! Though I dont have any pics of her as she is not the nicest dame in the bar!!!

I got the shell only cheap on ebay- I believe she had been used for parts as it has no badges on her and no hardware at all.

She was in pretty much bad shape- needed a good cleaning and still she has a little bit of very very small paint splatter I think? on a small section- You cant see until your nose it right up next to it- I believe it to be from the late 70's? looking at the marks that the badges left behind- deffinately not keystone

So for a few months earlier this year I spent time searching the usual haunts and pieced my girl back together- original rims from the 70's, original bowtie lugs, eventually went with modern replicas of the throw-off and butt plate etc.

I now have my 'no-name' acro all scrubbed up and sounding beautiful and all it took was about $50 - a little time and patience.

I know I could have just bought one all put together- I just wanted the challenge of doing it myself and now I love my 'frankenstein monster' drum even more for all her cosmetic flaws!

She may not be the prettiest belle at the ball- but she has the best voice! And one I wont change or get rid of- she will fall apart before I part with her

Is it even possible for acros to fall apart?

Danmardi

I just got a 1967 acro and I'm looking forward to bring it back to life. I wonder, does any body knows how many wires this drum came out with?? and wich tipe?? I founded all this.
Ludwig 14" Gut Snare 12 Strand LUD-L1108
Ludwig 14" Gut Snare 15 Strand LUD-L1235
Ludwig 14" Heavy Wire Snares 12 Strand LUD-L1929
Ludwig 14" Thin Wire Snares 20 Strand LUD-L1930
Ludwig 14" Wire Snare 12 Strand LUD-L1110
Ludwig 14" Wire Snare 18 Strand Swivel Mounted LUD-L1224
Ludwig 14" Wire Snare 20 Strand Swivel Mounted

A-customs

Silver Member
Wow great thread.........Lots of great info.Today i bought my first Acrolite.Found it on creigslist,rounded B/O Badge.Needs snare wire.The shell and hoops are in great shape.For 50 bucks i couldnt help myself.:\Program Files\CASIO\Photo Loader\Image Library\Yamaha Pics.

Big Foot

Silver Member
Okay small world! That's MY acrolite! Freehandstyle, I'm guessing, bought and resold. Check out the scratches on the badge and to the left of the throw-off.

Attachments

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
Oh yeah! The Acrolite! I found mine on eBay and paid $60 for it shipping and all. I finally got around to refurbishing it, cleaning it and WOW! I can't believe the sound. By refurbishing I mean buying new heads and new snares. I washed it in the bathtub, dried it thoroughly and took chrome polish to the hoops and lugs then put it all back together.

I gig with it regularly and love it. Mine was from, I believe, 1976, as indicated by the serial number on the badge. I play a vintage Pearl kit with rounded bearing edges, so this fits right in with the vintage sound of the kit.

It's funny, but I always felt sorta touchy about my vintage Pearl kit when others were playing brand new Tamas, Ludwigs, Pearls, Taye, or Gretsch. I felt "old school" and sort of odd because of my older kit.

Then I had a chance to hear another drummer play a full set on my kit in January while I stood at the back of the venue listening. Damn, they sounded good!! And with the Ludwig Acrolite they made my night. I never heard my kit played from a distance and always wondered how the audience hears them. After hearing my kit played and loving the sound, I sort of felt like a proud father seeing his child for the first time!

The only upgrade I may make to the kit is to put on triple flange hoops on the toms. Otherwise, I'm happy as a hog in slop.