The Ludwig Acrolite

ludwigvondrumcrazy

Totally interesting and informative thread, LVDC. Thanks for taking the time to do all that typing! I've been thinking a lot lately about getting a Supra, but now I'm considering an Acrolite, too...
You're more than welcome Criz. Some people look down their noses at the 404 and would never even consider one feeling that the 400, or 402, is the only choice when it comes to metal shelled Ludwig Snares. They don't know what they are missing, either new or old, depending on the type of sound you are looking for, the Acrolite delivers the goods, at a very modest price ta boot!

Lest someone think that I don't hold the Supra Phonic in high esteem, I do, if I didn't I wouldn't have four of them, it's just that I feel that credit should be given where credit is due..........

LVDC

Mendozart

Platinum Member
I've recently helped a few parents who have come to me saying they want to get their kids started in playing drums. The first thing I tell them is to purchase a snare and get them going on rudiments. I've ended up purchasing a couple acrolites on ebay/craigslist and told them if for some reason it doesn't work out for the kid, I will purchase the acrolite back from them. It's really a no-brainer. I wish my first snare would have been an acro.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
This is a great thread.
Thanks for the Acrolite info LVDC!

I got my Acrolite in 1975 (my first Ludwig!) and it still sounds cool as hell.
I love the way it sounds.

I wish Ludwig would have offered a 6.5 version before the Black Galaxy finish.

The BG looks good, but being "older" (...haha) I like the silvery color better.

I would have gotten one for sure.

5" snares are cool, but I gotta have a 6.5.

Don't know why....just do.

Hey, we all have at least 1 "crazy drum thing" right?

My Acrolite badges have the "pointed" ends like the one in the pic.(...waaaayyy down there haha!)

The only "problem" I have with mine is.......I painted it.....sacrilege, I know.....but probably not the worst you've seen.

Any idea how to get the paint off?

Regulat paint remover?

Soak the whole shell in accetone?

Would accetone ruin it?

I used regular spray enamel a long time ago...I did it in 1987 or early 1988 (not that the date makes any difference...).

I did do a pretty decent job, only a little "orange peel" in the paint.
I kinda like it black, but it would be cool to have it "back to normal".

Any help would be cool!

BTW, I like the longer posts that actually explain stuff, so keep it coming LVDC!

ludwigvondrumcrazy

I've recently helped a few parents who have come to me saying they want to get their kids started in playing drums. The first thing I tell them is to purchase a snare and get them going on rudiments. I've ended up purchasing a couple acrolites on ebay/craigslist and told them if for some reason it doesn't work out for the kid, I will purchase the acrolite back from them.
You're a good man Mendo, I've tried to do my part. I had a Black Galaxy 404 at a friend's shop for sale when a Father and his Son came in looking for a Snare to get him started and to make a long story short, they walked out with my Acro, which was like new, for $50...............

LVDC

ludwigvondrumcrazy

This is a great thread.
Thanks for the Acrolite info LVDC!

The only "problem" I have with mine is.......I painted it.....sacrilege, I know.....but probably not the worst you've seen.

Any idea how to get the paint off?

Regulat paint remover?

Soak the whole shell in accetone?

Would accetone ruin it?

I used regular spray enamel a long time ago...I did it in 1987 or early 1988 (not that the date makes any difference...).

I did do a pretty decent job, only a little "orange peel" in the paint.
I kinda like it black, but it would be cool to have it "back to normal".

Any help would be cool!
You're welcome Karl, I wish I could be as informative when it comes to paint removal. I keep so busy with the "regular cleaning" that I don't take on the messy jobs. If I did try to remove paint from an anodized Shell I would first try to ask someone, or Company, that applies this type of finish their recommendations, failing that I would probably get out my heat gun and plastic scraper and give that a try at low heat to see what that does. I always try to stay away from any harsh chemicals. I do know that some strippers are less caustic than others and that Flitz Metal Polish does wonders when it comes to removing stains from anodized Acro's so that would be another process / option that I would consider. The Flitz would hopefully be my savior if, for some reason, the stripper stained the Shell but my guess is that it wouldn't. Please don't hold me to that last statement, it's only a guess.........

Just remember, if using a scraper to use the plastic type, that is unless you have experience with the metal types. I have some friends who are professional wood canoe restorers, that's their only business, that can easily remove layers of old Varnish from the deck of a canoe and not harm the original decal buried beneath. Me, I'm chicken so I sure as heck wouldn't try it............

If you do decide to try a stripper just remember to leave it on only as long as it takes to get the job done and thoroughly rinse afterwards. I have read a number of your posts and know this is something (common sense) that I probably didn't even have to mention, i.e. you seem like you're "smarter than the average bear."

Tomorrow it's Vacation time, a whole 9 days without polishing a single part, or shell. I still can't wrap my head around that one so I better make a last run to the Drum Shop just to "soak it all in" before leaving. Besides that, I have to deliver some parts........

LVDC

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
Thanks man.
Yeah, this would be a DIY job.

I don't mind it Black, and I don't plan to sell it, so it's not a big deal.

It might be kinda nice to have it back to normal, but, I don't want to take a chance on screwing the underlying finish up (anymore than it is being black haha).

I may try something on the inside to see if it comes off easily.

It was just enamel, not some super duty paint.

Keep your cool posts coming, and enjoy the time off!

ludwigvondrumcrazy

Recently I was contacted by a fellow DW Member about a Powder Coated Acrolite he picked up and was interested to learn of another 404 that, by all rights, should have had a "two-hole" P-85 but had the older twelve hole type with the rubber grommet that didn't come along until Ludwig had switched over to the two hole.....

Here is the other Powder Coated Acro with the twelve hole P-85 that has already been shown in this thread. This is actually an after shot of the Snare in post #9...........

If you look closely you will see that this P-85 no longer has the rubber grommet on the threaded portion of the Tension Knob. More often than not, the rubber grommet on a P-85 that has a number of years on it has pretty much dried out which leaves the grommet in such a state that it tends to break apart easily. When they get that way I just toss 'em...........

Here is the before shot.............

LVDC

ludwigvondrumcrazy

Nice Snares Dave, does the 404 still have it's original aluminum Rims, if so, how have they fared over the years? I hear that the aluminum Rims didn't stand up well to the tension that Snare Rims are subjected to............

Anybody have an aluminum Acrolite Drum Kit? I sure would like to see one of those buggers, I'm not talking about a Snare Kit, but an actual Acrolite Drum Set, Toms, Bass, the whole nine yards. I wonder whatever became of the prototype(s) of those.......

LVDC

DaveB

Thanks mate.

The one on the left still has the ally hoops, the other one doesn't.

The hoops themselves are in reasonable shape given that they're nearly 50 years old. They are very light and I think are more prone to damage as they're softer than normal hoops. To be honest, I haven't really played that drum other than to tune it up as I got it with a kit I bought and I don't want to damage it. I think it's the only snare I have I haven't really ever played.

There's a few more photos here -

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v601/DaveB/Snare Drums/Vintage/Ludwig/

and a piece written by the guy who found and cleaned up the other proto -

http://www.geocities.com/slinkz_uk/acroproto.html

and another proto belonging to someone else -

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v601/DaveB/Snare Drums/Vintage/Ludwig/

benadrian

I just purchased an Acrolite, and I can't wait to get it into my hands.

My first snare was a chrome Ludwig from the 80s in the UFO case. I don't even know the model, but it was cheap and sounded very good. I'd get a ton of compliments. It got traded away.

Throughout the years I've played a lot of snares. Now, given a budget of about $300, I chose an Acrolite. Really, they're a simple and elegant solution in the ever complicated world of drums.

Ben Adrian

Mendozart

Platinum Member
I just purchased an Acrolite, and I can't wait to get it into my hands.

My first snare was a chrome Ludwig from the 80s in the UFO case. I don't even know the model, but it was cheap and sounded very good. I'd get a ton of compliments. It got traded away.

Throughout the years I've played a lot of snares. Now, given a budget of about $300, I chose an Acrolite. Really, they're a simple and elegant solution in the ever complicated world of drums.

Ben Adrian
Did you get it off ebay? What year is it? I just sold a ' 67 to help fund my Black Beauty purchase. It was a great sounding snare. Eventually I'll pick up another one, probably a B/O badged one.

Michael G

Silver Member
I just thought I would bump this thread to confirm something:

6.5 Keystone Acrolites exist! Even more interesting is they have 10 lugs instead of 8, so it is basically a 6.5 Supra. Apparently there was a line of a 100 or so made for the NYC school district. I wonder what a going price would be for one of those.

I have the chance to purchase a Ludwig Acrolite that is in very good condition. It has the yellow keystone and is stamped on the inside Aug., 1966. No pitting, rust, dents, etc. Sounds great. The woman who is selling it lost her husband a few years ago and is now ready to sell it. She wants $150. Is it worth it? I have read nothing but fantastic reviews about this snare.

volvoguy

I have the chance to purchase a Ludwig Acrolite that is in very good condition. It has the yellow keystone and is stamped on the inside Aug., 1966. No pitting, rust, dents, etc. Sounds great. The woman who is selling it lost her husband a few years ago and is now ready to sell it. She wants $150. Is it worth it? I have read nothing but fantastic reviews about this snare.

For $150, you can't go wrong. Even if you didn't like it, you could flip it on eBay and come out ahead.

-Ryan

ludwigvondrumcrazy

Recently I was finally able to clean my mid-80's Hammered Shell Supra-Phonic (400) that had been in the to do pile for well over a year and while working it's Strainer I was reminded of the fact that I have seen three different variants of the P-85 from this time frame. The Black Face two hole w/no threads for the Strap Bracket, the Black Face 12 hole & the type that's on my 400, the Chrome Face w/threaded holes & Plastic Strap Bracket on the Cover Slide.

More often than not I just make a mental note of such things and move on, considering it one of those "It is what it is" type of things that you can spend time trying to figure out, and even if you do, it doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot. It is what it is...........

Just for the heck of it I looked through my Parts Catalog and found that the 12-hole Cover Slide was listed as an option as late as 1988 (see P1017-2 below)

LVDC

P.S. I am not ignoring Drummerpaul's question.
He asked the question elsewhere and I recommended he go for it at that price.............

ludwigvondrumcrazy

To keep posts that this thread has generated in context I have added the following images to my initial post, which also contains further information about this first production version. Please see post #1........

LVDC

RogerTheShrubber

Well this is a very interesting thread! I do have a question though. I have two Acrolites (one from the early 70's and a 1966) and the 1966 one has 10 lugs. I have tried to find out info on this one but I only found one website that briefly mentions it and they say that it's rare. Do you know anything about this one ludwigvondrumcrazy? Anyone? Thanks!