The List of Most Fun to Play Drum Songs

Foggie Blur

I've been jamming with lots of different drum styles and songs to help me get in the groove of drumming again. There's so many different amazing drum pieces out there. So many technical beauties and artistic masterpieces. BUT there are so many songs that are just fun. Don't get me wrong fun doesn't mean not technical or brilliant. Just songs that put a smile on your face to play.

Everyone's definition of fun drum songs is different. BUT humor me, post your favorite ones.

Sometimes I want to just jam out and have fun to Take 5, Iron Man, chameleon or watermelon man, Beat it, Too Young to Fall In Love, Wipeout.
Anything that has a catchy goove to jam out to.

What song do you like to jam to just for fun?

I'd love to hear which ones just for ideas. I just finished jamming out to Psy's Gangmun Style! Talk about catchy :) check out my jam to psy on youtube:

Foggie

Nice playing. It sure is a good feeling to get behind the kit again.

These are fun to drum to:

AC/DC - Highway to Hell
The Alan Parsons Project - I Wouldn't Want to Be Like You
David Bowie - Modern Love
Diamond Galas w/John Paul Jones - Skotoseme
Dire Straits - Calling Elvis
Don Henley - Dirty Laundry
Jamiroquai - Virtual Insanity
John Lennon & Yoko Ono - Cleanup Time
Led Zeppelin - Immigrant Song
Mountain - Mississippi Queen
Steely Dan - Kid Charlamagne
Steve Earle - Copperhead Road

Your right, there are so many that are fun to play to . A few this past couple days were...

Led Zeppelin.... fool in the rain
The Who ..........eminence front
ZZ Top..............la grange
Sevendust........face to face and praise
RHCP................give it away and can’t stop
Kiss..................love em leave em and love gun
The police........driven to tears , so lonely , every little thing she does
SRV....................cold shot , tight rope
Phil Collins.........it don’t matter to me, I cannot believe it’s true.
System of a Down ..toxicity
Van Halen....finish what you started

Rolling stones are a lot of fun. Gimme shelter was one of the first songs I learned and I still love playing it

Living After Midnight by Judas Priest.
Simple enough for beginners, and satisfying in its simplicity for everyone else. Overall just good solid songwriting which lets you play the beat and enjoy the ride.

Brown Sugar, loving cup, paint it black, jumping Jack,... it’s true, Rolling Stones are fun to play :)
Not difficult, very catchy, lots of energy.
Even slows like Angie, Wild Horses or Suster Morphine are fun to play.

Ministry of Bag-Jack Bruce
Rope Ladder-Jack Bruce
I Keep Forgettin’-Procol Harum
Crossroads- Cream
Summertime Blues-Who
Rebel Rebel-Bowie
Manic Depression-Hendrix
Ocean-led Zepplin

I've always wanted to play "Girlfriend" by Matthew Sweet in a band. It's a lot of fun to play and I've NEVER seen a band cover it. It's super-fun to play. From that opening guitar rift, you know what you're getting. Love it.

I am partial to every song on the first 3 Kansas albums, especially "Down The Road", a song in the vein of Deep Purple's "Highway Star".

Phil Ehart on drums, a major influence of mine.

So, as mentioned in another thread, the band I gig with uses backing tracks, and even though I'm not the drummer, I have a bunch of them. Most of them have two versions - one with bass, and one without. I jam a lot to the ones with bass on them. Some of my favorites:

Going to a Go-Go/Nowhere to Run Medley - Martha and the Vandellas
Living on a Prayer - Bon Jovi
Who says you can't go home - Bon Jovi
Best of my Love/Then Came You Medley - Emotions/Dionne Warwick and the Spinners
Baby Give it Up - KC and the Sunshine Band
Feeling Alright - Joe Cocker
Burning Love - Elvis
Pink Cadillac - Natilie Cole
Devil with a Blue Dress/Good Golly Miss Molly Medley - Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels/Little Richard
Higher and Higher/Good Loving Medley - Jackie Wilson/The Rascals
Heard it Through the Grapevine - Gladys Knight version
Let it Whip - Dazz Band
Knock on Wood - Eddie Floyd

There are more, but those are some of my favorites off of the top of my head

Songs that I played along with that bring me the most Joy. For a long time I played Boston's first album every song except , let me take you home tonight. And then I had a 90-minute tape of nothing but Foghat that I love to play along with. I've always enjoyed playing quite a few Kansas songs mostly off of their 2 for the show live album. And then of course there's like a million random songs including country.

Wow - great lists so far! I see a whole bunch of songs I'd like to learn.

Here are just a few of my favorite "fun" songs to play:

You Shook Me All Night Long - AC/DC
My Sharona - The Knack
Barracuda - Heart
Done - The Band Perry
Hit Me With Your Best Shot - Pat Benatar
Three Pistols - The Tragically Hip
Subdivisions - Rush
De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da - The Police
No Reply At All - Genesis
Boot Scootin' Boogie - Brooks & Dunn
I'll Be There For You - The Rembrandts
Walking On Sunshine - Katrina & The Waves
Cake By The Ocean - DNCE
Locked Out Of Heaven - Bruno Mars

Boot Scootin' Boogie - Brooks & Dunn
Another song on my list is "My Maria" by Brooks & Dunn. Incidentally, the original studio recorings were both done by the legendary Lonnie Wilson, who has drummed on more big country hits than you can shake a stick at - there's a reason those drum parts are fun to play to. :)

Another song on my list is "My Maria" by Brooks & Dunn. Incidentally, the original studio recorings were both done by the legendary Lonnie Wilson, who has drummed on more big country hits than you can shake a stick at - there's a reason those drum parts are fun to play to. :)

Great info. The feel of that song is second to none. Always a challenge to get it right!

My list:
Zep
Fool in the rain
When the levee breaks
Black dog

Same old song and dance
Moving out
Actually any old and some newer Aerosmith

Almost anything by Rival Sons

Heart
Barracuda
Even it up
Magic Man

Any Steely Dan

Feeling mellow: Green Onions.... Booker T and the MGs

Feeling Groovy: Shu Ba Da Du Ma Ma Ma Ma Steve Miller Band

Live version:

Very interesting for me. . .when I played drums as a youngster and 20 something, I NEVER played ANY R&B or funk, or similar. When I picked up the sticks again this past winter, that changed. I dig these songs a lot.

The entire Test for Echo album by Rush. The one where Neil went traditional grip throughout. Can be quite the challenge if you play it all like that.
I'm all about Van Halen too. A lot of the older stuff is just great.

Back