"The Like Its" Funk/Soul/R&B Band

zambizzi

Platinum Member
Hey all...thought I'd introduce my other project, "The Like Its". We cut a demo on Sunday and here's a couple of the tunes. I think the demo sounds great, other than a lot of low-end seems to be missing. I was bummed that the bass drum was nearly cut out of the mix but overall, they sound pretty good.

Thanks for checkin' it out!

UPDATE: Added the whole demo after going back into the studio and touching them up a bit.

Attachments

Last edited:

larryz

Platinum Member
I really like it. Wish your drums were more up front int the mix, but it has a really good sound. nice production. I envision more of a Lynyrd Skynyrd bad ass, whisky-drinkin' Southern Rock vocal but your singer is good though. Thanks for sharing.

zambizzi

Platinum Member
I really like it. Wish your drums were more up front int the mix, but it has a really good sound. nice production. I envision more of a Lynyrd Skynyrd bad ass, whisky-drinkin' Southern Rock vocal but your singer is good though. Thanks for sharing.
Both the keys and guitar share vocals in the band...both do a great job. These guys are a lot of fun to play with. The guitarist, which you heard, is new to fronting a band and doing lead vocals...normally he's known for being a badass bassist.

Thanks for listening!

D

Doctor Dirt

The first tune has a good hook, however the bass is buried is there a bass line? Or is it a kick off of a B3 pedal? Hard to tell but bottom line its not there so what you have is a guitar holding the groove and its not enough. The snare traditionally would be "fat back" on that feel and slightly behind its sounds like its bled into some kind of effect mic, it needs to be isolated and fat. All of the playing is good and gives a loose feel that I find refreshing.
The conceipt is good it just needs to be more defind.
The second tune is weak compared to the first,. I like the concept it reminds me of "lil Charlie & the Nightcats" a great small combp thats been together for many years now. Again the bass is missing the tenor horn honestly was terrible (no offense) but I'm an honest man and my opinion has alot of years of playing live Blues music behind it. Again other than the horn the playing is ok but your snare isn't defind the kick drum is absent (make sure your kick is simple) in this case you could actually play a multi-notes pattern because theres NO bass notes to step on. The voicing is good the voice its self is also a good sound. The guitarists is trying hard to phrase and keep it simple as he should. If hes a bassist have him lay down a nice groove off of the snare drum. Good job all the way around and keep refining which almost always means keep the rythmn section simple and find some people who love to dance if you don't and see how they feel about the groove. Honestly its a great way for you to know if its funky has soul and a strong groove. Best to you. Doc

zambizzi

Platinum Member
I like it!

How many projects you got goin' on?
Groovy! Thanks. Just the two projects, right now: Trikata (rock) and The Like Its. Trikata will be at the Flying M in Nampa Friday...should you feel the need to rock out. :)

The first tune has a good hook, however the bass is buried is there a bass line? Or is it a kick off of a B3 pedal? Hard to tell but bottom line its not there so what you have is a guitar holding the groove and its not enough. The snare traditionally would be "fat back" on that feel and slightly behind its sounds like its bled into some kind of effect mic, it needs to be isolated and fat. All of the playing is good and gives a loose feel that I find refreshing.
Glad you like it, thanks. We're going to go back into the studio this weekend to tweak the mix a little. After the guitarist was told consistently that the bass and bass drum are way too weak in the mix, he decided to fix it after all. Yay!

All of this was done in less than four hours...I laid my tracks down live w/ the band in less than two and then split - so there wasn't a lot of room (i.e. money) for doing all that kind of fun stuff to make the mix "perfect." I wish we could though!

The second tune is weak compared to the first,.
Good job all the way around and keep refining which almost always means keep the rythmn section simple and find some people who love to dance if you don't and see how they feel about the groove. Honestly its a great way for you to know if its funky has soul and a strong groove. Best to you. Doc
Yeah...we play a weird range of stuff, from Pink Floyd to The Meters. This one was an easy win to help fill the usual 3-4 hr. gigs. In fact, I think I learned this one, "on the job" and have yet to hear the original.

The shows have gotten a good response so far and we always have people up and shakin' it. The crowds are getting a little bigger and we're starting to get the name out there a bit. We're going to open for a few established bands in town to help that along.

Thanks for checking it out!

D

Doctor Dirt

If your liking that type of groove check out lil Charlie & the NightCats I covered when of Battys tunes a few years back called "my Next Ex Wife" good groove, simple structure, great guitar bits and a fun beat. The lyrics are pretty comical and its a dance tune if your audiances know how too.
Here in SW Fla if your in the small bars your stuck with stero typical southern rock stuff, pretty boring but these folks have NO soul they can't dance other than standing in one place and shaking, hopping, flailing and just going spastic hahahaha!!! Its funny now but I'd never stay here if I was a younger man thank god I wasn't raised here. I'd think molli hatcher was the best band ever hahaha!!! keep working and be READY before your studio clock starts or your gonna waste $$$$$$$$'s. As your learning, lay down your rhythm section live then do your additions. Doc

zambizzi

Platinum Member
If your liking that type of groove check out lil Charlie & the NightCats I covered when of Battys tunes a few years back called "my Next Ex Wife"

...keep working and be READY before your studio clock starts or your gonna waste $$$$$$$$'s. As your learning, lay down your rhythm section live then do your additions. Doc
No, no...I whipped up many of the beats I use for this band during gigs...not in the studio. That'd be a disaster! I'll check out the tune, thanks.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I like this, I like this a lot! Yes, work to do, but a solid foundation, especially the first song. I scrutinised the mix using my super flat phones. The bass drum is too low, & is lacking a touch of mid presence. The bass too is too low in the mix, but mainly because of very poor EQ application. Again, it's all low end & not enough gain. Take the bass back to flat & add a touch of top & bottom. 2db maximum. Lift the bass drum as described, & par back a bit on the snare effects, then add a touch of depth to that too. What I've described is a 15 minute fix. Good luck mate, I think it's worth the effort.

Sirwill

Silver Member
Great solid feel... Tight band... If I where to attempt to cover this cool groove, I would poop the snare on a up beat when needed... Keep up the great work...

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Great solid feel... Tight band... If I where to attempt to cover this cool groove, I would poop the snare on a up beat when needed... Keep up the great work...
hey Sirwill, where you been man?

zambizzi

Platinum Member
I like this, I like this a lot! Yes, work to do, but a solid foundation, especially the first song. I scrutinised the mix using my super flat phones. The bass drum is too low, & is lacking a touch of mid presence. The bass too is too low in the mix, but mainly because of very poor EQ application. Again, it's all low end & not enough gain. Take the bass back to flat & add a touch of top & bottom. 2db maximum. Lift the bass drum as described, & par back a bit on the snare effects, then add a touch of depth to that too. What I've described is a 15 minute fix. Good luck mate, I think it's worth the effort.
I don't know what any of that means...but I'll pass it along! :) I feel vindicated that so many folks on here are hearing what I am. Now I don't feel like a jerk for making the guitarist go back in and fix them. I'll post new ones after this is done. Glad ya like it, thanks!

Thanks, man. Hmm...pooping on the snare...might be a fun distraction as part of the show?

zambizzi

Platinum Member
The guitarist and I went back into the studio today and touched them up a bit. The bass guitar and kick drum are now more prominent and the mix is much better, overall. I also added two new tracks that I hadn't originally posted.

Thanks for listening!