The legendary Steve Gadd

Only about 30 minutes in, but already it's already by far the most engaging interview I've ever seen with Gadd. As has been the case with others, he seems unusually comfortable with Beato—but in this case, so far, perhaps a bit less because he respects Beato's depth of musical knowledge, and more because they're both from Rochester and have so many common touchstones. (And Beato's depth of musical knowledge.)

Last edited:
Absolutely loved this interview. Rick is one of the best musical contemporaries interviewing drummers and his pointed questions evoke answers that many drummers have wanted to know.

This is the 2nd Rick B- drummer interviews, which I've found to be among the best, the other interview beingw/Bernard Purdie.

The dialogue between Rick and Steve here was about as good as it could get. Highly recommend this.

As always, Rick does a fantastic interview...always prepared with a great knowledge base and listens very well. Not that Steve needs to relax at all, as he is always humble and patient in every interview I've come across, but its great Rick had a Rochester connection...it lets a guest talk about something they want or don't get asked often (and stuff I never heard before). It allows a guest to talk about common fan questions with more enthusiasm, even if they have been asked a million times.

The way a drummer interviews is extremely important to me, I would read my old MD interview over and over, because the art of drumming is so transparent what is played on the set, listening to Steve Gadd drumming and Steve Gadd talking is the same thing. He has a ton of patience, always humble and I bet on those playbacks, he hears everything and not just listening to a self performance. He also give very thoughtful responses and has a special way of conveying a concept in it most fundamental way that holds alot of clarity while keeping depth....to me that is how his drumming sounds as well, never wasting a note with purpose to every stroke, supporting everyone without ego and a master of understatement. Its all the more proof, if you want to be a better drummer then you have be a better person.

This is the 2nd Rick B- drummer interviews, which I've found to be among the best, the other interview beingw/Bernard Purdie.
He has also done Vinnie, Gregg Bissonette, Steve Jordan and Matt Cameron...maybe more. They were all fantastic. Of course drum videos too, including a focus on Jimmy Cobb when he passed away.

Rick 'got stuck' in a little bit of Aja and 50 ways- which has been covered- then went long over to the rudiments; Skipped over- like to have heard- Late In The evening asked about and the tours with James Taylor (the 90s Paul Simon) and the recent tour(s) with Eric Clapton;. He didn't ask..
Would like to have heard asked " What was it like playing (Clapton set list"? Or "Badge" with Clapton.. :D

Last edited:
An in-depth and expansive interview it was enlightening, thanks for posting that link. I enjoyed the drum lesson as well!

Last edited:
What a wonderful ambassador for the drumming fraternity.

A very sharing gentleman.

He's worked hard and played hard.

I'm a bit concerned in regards to his health......I think he's developing ptosis of his eyes bilaterally.

He'll possibly be needing surgery in time.

here this one dropped around same time w/ Johnny D

Just finished the interview....77 years old and still enthusiastic about finding new drumming ground and developing new ideas...hope we all can be like this. He sounds great too. Steve said he's up for doing it again so a part two would be great or maybe some material edited out could be released.

Only about 30 minutes in, but already it's already by far the most engaging interview I've ever seen with Gadd. As has been the case with others, he seems unusually comfortable with Beato—but in this case, so far, perhaps a bit less because he respects Beato's depth of musical knowledge, and more because they're both from Rochester and have so many common touchstones. (And Beato's depth of musical knowledge.)

Wow! What a great interview! Steve Gadd is always pretty candid. But, he seemed even more enthusiastic to open up with Rick Beato!

He has also done Vinnie, Gregg Bissonette, Steve Jordan and Matt Cameron...maybe more. They were all fantastic. Of course drum videos too, including a focus on Jimmy Cobb when he passed away.
thanks, s1212z, for pointing out those other drummer interviews by Rick, which I'll be viewing next. Rick does the best job of interviewing drummers, by a non-drummer, from what I've watched so far.

Was a good.video to watch,. especially at the end.. SG doing displacement on the kit. Nice
Generally his "displacement" theory was good to absorb.

LOVE Beato's interviews. The Gadd one is incredible. Check out his chats wit Pat Metheny and Robert DeLeo, two other amazing conversations. I even found the one with Sting to be terrific.

Very enlightening. Thanks.

Back