The kit that got away

pinstripe

Probably not worthy of this thread but I recently dithered on an early 90s Pearl Export set in mint condition with all hardware, new heads, and Sabian B8 cymbals for $500. Not the deal of a lifetime but I think pretty solid and when I think about it I have pangs of regret for not pulling the trigger.
Replying to my own post with a correction here. The cymbals were older Sabian PRO series, which had the B8 material but were produced using methods similar to the better quality Paistes, or so I've read...

Juniper

Gold Member
Can’t really think of anything other than a Gretsch Renown in Blue Oyster Pearl I was going to use as a gigging kit, to keep in London in storage.

The bass drum was a 24x14, the shell depth isn’t common (from what I’ve seen anyway) but wasn’t that fussed I missed out on it in the end as it would have been sparingly used, simply as most venues in the capital have house kits.

Lefty38-55

... married to an extremely frugal Woman that threw nickels around like manhole covers and had a death grip on our bank accounts . It took me a couple days to convince her to let me buy the kit and when I got back to Songbird the kit was gone ...
... 'tis ALWAYS best to beg for forgiveness LATER ... rather than asking for permission FIRST!

Then again, my brothers and I were notorious for buying a toy that goes 'bang' (rifle) and taking it apart in pieces and then showing up at the house saying, "Oh look, I bought that barrel I've been searching for; now all I need is the stock, etc." or similar ... only to show up with the other parts a week or two later, depending on the Armiral's response/mood, LOL!

Hmmmm, and now having said that, that's EXACTLY how I got my present drum set! Bought the whole she-bang and setup the snare, stool & hi-hat. I did sell off some unused sporting gear and told her that was 'financing' the other drum set items needed. Then I added the kick ... plus am now working on the toms & cymbals.

But admittedly part of that long, drawn out plan was to also really take a step back to focus on my chops and rudiments, which are really showing great improvement!

Otto

Platinum Member
Was hunting a new set back in 1995ish in the San Francisco area(San Mateo) and dropped by Drum World(i seem to recall?).

One of the sales guys was unpacking a pristine clear visalite(back before the re-issue)...the bass was 24" and I was looking for 20" or 22" so I moved on.

I went back later that day strongly considering buying it and they reported it sold about 30 min after I left...poo....

but i wound up with a new Teal Premier XPS...so all's well that ends well...or so i have convinced myself...

wildbill

Platinum Member
Nothing high end, but there are a couple kits I could have gotten at blow out prices from Interstate music
before they went under, that I still think about sometimes.

One was a Ludwig Club Date SE in ruby sparkle, and the other was a Gretsch '57 bop kit.
Both were imports, but the club date was about $600 and the '57 was under $700 if I remember right.
I had just gotten a couple other sets though, and it would have been a bit too much.

It worked out OK though, because I eventually got a Ludwig Classic Maple bop kit that I'd rather have
than either or both of those.

boomstick

Silver Member
Back around 2005, I won a used Tama Starclassic Birch 4-piece kit in silver sparkle (my favorite finish). I urged the seller to ship the drums in separate boxes, which he said he would do. Instead, he crammed everything into 2 big, heavy boxes. Drums inside of drums, hardware inside of drums. Very little protective packaging. Naturally the shells had multiple gouges inside of them upon arrival. I disputed the sale and the seller ceased contact. I shipped the drums back and was reimbursed by ebay after the seller failed to respond to my dispute. So, I didn't lose any money, but it still kills me that I didn't get to keep that lovely kit.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
I did want a swirly Club Custom, but since the new Broadkasters came out and I like them better I'll live.

The few times the Millenium version of the Colaiuta snare showed up I didn't have the money, so missed out on that, too.