The hidden drummer

Seems I missed this when it was first posted.

Dang, Polly, you always have just so much feel. Every track you ever post is just dripping with feel, feel, feel. Even if I never too keen on the loung-y take your band does on things, I could listen to you all day because the songs just always have an amazing feel behind them.

Great brush playing polly, it all sounds so even and balanced. This honestly sounds like a professional recording.

Once again the brush playing is just fantastic, it adds so much to the tune.

Last edited:
Nice stuff. If I was to say anything, I dont really dig the actual sound your getting from the brushes. It sounds floppy to me, like watching someone do a foxtrot with their shoelaces untied, if that makes any sense? But thats totally a personal preference. Ill just say this, Vernel Fournier on "Ahmad's Blues", thats my ideal. If youve never checked it out, oh goodness, its the s***.

Even if I never too keen on the loung-y take your band does on things, I could listen to you all day because the songs just always have an amazing feel behind them.

Thanks DED - I'm a Gadd and Purdie tragic from way back so I try to create a lobotomised version of them :) Have to admit I wasn't keen on the lounge thing but the mellow, tasty sounds are getting me in.

Great brush playing polly, it all sounds so even and balanced.

Thanks Dare ... BTW, I'm still wondering who had the skeleton avatar - I think he had a DD acronym too

yes.

it's better than the original.

The cheque's in the mail :)

Hmm, must admit, 4 months is a bit longer than desirable, but if the end result is even close to your wonderful Kinks rendition, it'll be worth the wait :)

The Kinks tune is simpler and better suited to us Thursday warriors. Just that Feeling Good is such a great song it's impossible to resist! Really fun for the drummer.

Nice stuff. If I was to say anything, I dont really dig the actual sound your getting from the brushes. It sounds floppy to me, like watching someone do a foxtrot with their shoelaces untied, if that makes any sense? But thats totally a personal preference. Ill just say this, Vernel Fournier on "Ahmad's Blues", thats my ideal. If youve never checked it out, oh goodness, its the s***.

lol ... yep, the foxtro comment does makes sense. As a relative newcomer to sweeping when I get imprecise the brush is too far over by the time I play the taps and mutes the sound more than I want.

VF's brushwork is incredible! just beautiful. I've saved that in my Favourites and I'll see if I can internalise a bit of his mojo. Thanks for the tip :)

Last edited:
Oh, and in case anyone's interested I didn't get a copyright notice on Feeling Good.

Seems that if the filename, metadata and video tile don't contain the info - and you play a messy formative cover - then you don't get hassled by legalities

I just noticed something in your video, Polly, at about 0:29. That's you with your little blue kids drum sticks that you mentioned in another post. hehehe!

I just noticed something in your video, Polly, at about 0:29. That's you with your little blue kids drum sticks that you mentioned in another post. hehehe!

Yep. I used them for so long that when I tried switching to 7As about 18 months or so ago at first I found them too heavy and almost gave up. But our bassist asked me to persevere with the 7As because they produced a better sound. I'm glad he did.

Funny how these things work ... in my rock days I was all 5Bs and at that time 7As felt awkward to me, like light, fragile twigs.

Have to say that little blue sticks were cool at gigs - made me seem a little exotic haha. I did use them once last year at a party where I had to play on just kick/snare/hat/cymbal and extra quiet. They felt a bit weird ...

Yep. I used them for so long that when I tried switching to 7As about 18 months or so ago at first I found them too heavy and almost gave up. But our bassist asked me to persevere with the 7As because they produced a better sound. I'm glad he did.

Funny how these things work ... in my rock days I was all 5Bs and at that time 7As felt awkward to me, like light, fragile twigs.

Have to say that little blue sticks were cool at gigs - made me seem a little exotic haha. I did use them once last year at a party where I had to play on just kick/snare/hat/cymbal and extra quiet. They felt a bit weird ...

I'm sure they would come in handy for some quiet jams. I've never used 7A's, but they might be cool to have in the bag in addition to the set of rods. Some songs can use a lighter touch and every time I play quietly during some songs, the guitarists always comment how loud their other drummer is. But he kicks ass though, so no worries. We're different. Night and day....

I'm sure they would come in handy for some quiet jams. I've never used 7A's, but they might be cool to have in the bag in addition to the set of rods.

As long as you can get comfortable with them (7As). I found the sound too thin back in my 5B days. If you're ever going to play with them I recommend practising with them first because it's easy to get so used to one type of stick to the point that others feel strange.

Ho ho

Now for a less happy place. I received this email from YouTube:
Dear AlmostEthical,

Your video, BMs - Sunny Afternoon, may have content that is owned or licensed by EMI Music Publishing.

No action is required on your part; however, if you're interested in learning how this affects your video, please visit the Content ID Matches section of your account for more information.

Sincerely,

- The YouTube Team
I have more than a dozen cover versions on my channel and now suddenly this BS about a rehearsal room recording on a little H2. Do they think this will compete in the marketplace with The Kinks? lol

Does anyone know what goes on and how this works? It all seems absurd.

Poly Vs. Powerman & the Money-Go-Round!

I can't help you with legalese or cyber shakedowns. But I will say that you have a great feel and do Ray, Dave & the boys proud. And the visuals just add icing to the cake. Very entertaining.

-John

As long as you can get comfortable with them (7As). I found the sound too thin back in my 5B days. If you're ever going to play with them I recommend practising with them first because it's easy to get so used to one type of stick to the point that others feel strange.

Good point. Well, when I'm ready to replace my current drumset sticks with the practice pad sticks, I'll get some of the 7A's for the practice pad and see how I like them. Thanks for the tip.

We were thinking it would be cool for Glenn to go for that real old time sound and last week he brought his effects unit to the studio.

As it turned out, the megaphone effect is pretty funny ... hoping he can adjust the effect to make it less extreme.

http://youtu.be/ahbxznQR6x0

Alas, my playing this time around is a bit lumpier than the link in the OP ... so much smoother when I pull back more to blend into the mix (and actually get my timing on the button). That's a lesson learned.

PS. Thanks Jon for your earlier comment. I missed it. Polly vs The Powerman lol

I like the effect Pol, but it may be a tad too much of it. Is it adjustable?

As it turned out, the megaphone effect is pretty funny ... hoping he can adjust the effect to make it less extreme...
I like the effect Pol, but it may be a tad too much of it. Is it adjustable?

Yes, it's quite a funny effect, but somehow I like it, I understand that Larry and you both think it has slightly too much effect on Glenn' voice, but if the goal is to make the song feeling like those old records, the instruments sounds are somewhat a bit too modern, perhaps with a bit of mixing wizzardy, you could make the song sounding like these old 78 rpm records, lol, it would feel more authentic, but if you don't want this type of mood for the overall sound, then I agree there's a tadd too much of an effect on Glenn's voice. :))

i think the effect sits perfectly in the mix.

my concern is that it distracts from Glen's naturally wonderful voice.

i would bring the effect in after the instrumental break, just for an extra added bonus type of thang.

if the song must be repeated during the set (cause everybody loves it, y'know...) i would reverse the order the second time around.

first time:
i'm here in your face / i'm drifting away

second time:
i'm drifting way / i'm in your face, telling you about it

my other concern is that the effect puts it too close to Queen's "Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon" - itself a rip-off of this one.

Larry, I'm yet to find out. I'm hoping he has a dial on the unit that adjusts the degree of effect.

Henri and Uncle G, I can see why you like the full on effect and, yes, there's a mismatch between voice and band sound. It didn't help that I messed up by playing louder than last time. One of those situations where small changes make a big difference.

Funny thing. Glenn didn't know The Kinks's song and had doubts about the suggestion because he was thinking of Queen's Lazing on a Sunny Afternoon ... and he questioned how appropriate it was. Mean while the rest of it couldn't understand what he was carrying on about lol ... it took a funny conversation at rehearsal to get on the same page.

I'd still like the effect to be subtle, otherwise it becomes a novelty and, IMO, sounding less than it could be. I'd like the song to take a small step rather than a full leap in the ye olde tyme direction.

Thanks for the feedback, though. The fresh perspectives I get from you guys on this forum are a gift!

Back