The hidden drummer

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Haven't posted for a while. From last night's practice, that great little Kinks classic, Sunny Afternoon, where I live up (down?) to Andy's name.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IySKLj2gJbQ

In the words of the late, great Paul Motian: "I don't have to do sh**. I could have just stayed there and not played a [expletive] note."

Yet ... I love playing it, just get in the space and cruise ...

:)

bigiainw

Gold Member
Really nicely done Polly- it would have been so easy to overplay, but you just hit the sweet spot.

Lovely!

diegobxr

Silver Member
Damn, I love your drumming, Polly.

It's so neat and "professional". You don't get in the way of the other guys, you really work to make the music flow. If you ain't a drummer, you may not even notice there are drums there, you just enjoy the tune, That's awesome.

So congrats, it sounds amazing!

ps1: you are playing with brushes, right?
ps2: that zoom recorder is unbelievable!!!

Cheers!! :)

resohead

Silver Member
Awesome Polly and what great song selection and drumming.

I would really like to have that red Mustang fastback pictured in the video.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
I wonder what "remedies" you can buy in a psychedelic shop .... :))

You said in an other thread "Sometimes I overplay. Sometimes I underplay. Sometimes I get it about right", well you certainely got that one right Polly, Mick Avory would approve your approach to that classic number ;-)

... blue drumsticks?!? Did you buy them in that psychedelic shop?

+1 on the Mustang Phil, that's also a classic number :)

aydee

Platinum Member
Boy, does this song brings back memories... the 20 yr daughter of some friends of my folks.. lusicious, voluptuous, AND she had this musky fragrance about her that played pure havoc with my hormones...

She, poor thing, had to entertain a pre pubescent 15 yr old Aydee, and I was invited to hang out in her room while the grownups hung out by themselves. THIS was the 45 that she had on her little record playee ( remember those thangs..? ) ooooh

( Snaps out of it.. )

Pol, top notch grooving as usual. You know, I have to say this and it might sound like it makes no sense, but there is no ego in you groove. There is no " look at me" anywhere.

A million props for that. Rock away girl, and thanks for doing this song... it made me feel really good this morning.

Last edited:

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Talk about your perfect fit of a song to a band. Pol, this is a winner. Between the sound of the band and Glenns voice, it's a match made in deity domain.

Very much enjoyed this. I think it's better than the original. Glenn's voice fits perfect, and your brushwork is the perfect accompaniment.

unfunkyfooted

Silver Member
i second every sentiment posted by others above.

excellent. a winner. better than the original. that's your single / promo pack demo / calling card right there.

how is it that you make me like songs that i've never given two thoughts about ?

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
@ Diego - yep, brushes. Agree, the H2 is great. Some Audacity EQ done afterwards, plus a little verb

@ MAD - ha! I had always been a rocker so, when I first started with this group, I used Vic Firth Kidsticks - blue and 12" - very cute :) I have since graduated to class 7A.

@ Abe - nice reverie :) Yes, I'm tweezing the ego out more and more thanks to some of the Yoda-like presences on this forum. No longer want to be flash or impressive, which has too often lead me to do things that messed with song flow.

@ Larry - yes, a retro 60s song is perfect for a band that spans the 30s and 60s and it clicked quickly. There are songs we've tried doing for 2 years that are still not working.

@ others - thanks gents! I'm so glad we're playing this song - it's beautifully written and the lyrics are great. I recently had to kick up a stink to avoid playing Crazy, which was a bridge too far lol

8Mile

Platinum Member
I'll add to the chorus of praises and say, "Well done, Polly!"

Seriously, it's a great performance from the whole band and you nail the part perfectly, The feel is just right and there's no getting in the way of the rest of the band. Great job!

Gotta admit, I never paid much attention to this tune before but now I'm hearing it differently (I like the choice of visuals you used in the slideshow, too) and I like it.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
More thanks :) Always pleasing when players with far more dexterity than I have enjoy the music. I think that's everyone so far lol

I like the choice of visuals you used in the slideshow, too
At first I just wanted visuals that made clear that my group was covering the Kinks. Then I thought it would be fun to contrast images from the eras - 1966 and 2012 - the buildings, fashion, cars, drinking habits, wars (Vietnam and Iraq) etc. Then I realised I needed some sunny afternoon pics. Still, just a beginner on the new version of MovieMaker.

I find the contrasts between eras a real trip because I've lived through both and can see not only how things have changed dramatically, but also how in a way nothing has changed.

Pol, how does your Pop like it? Oh you haven't played it for him? Why on earth not?
He only likes old time stuff with saxophones. Basically, he doesn't like music (or any of the arts, apart from sitcoms and adventure movies / books). Mum used to regularly accuse him of being a philistine, and she was spot on.

I have a confession, I stole the drumming feel from Ringo in When I'm 64 :)

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
More thanks :) Always pleasing when players with far more dexterity than I have enjoy the music. I think that's everyone so far lol
In that case, it's about time the fumbling buffoon who never lives up to his username chimed in.

That, without doubt, is the best version of that song I've ever heard, including the original! A materclass of taste & restraint by all concerned. Of course, Glenn's vocal is world class, but so are the rest of the performances, & especially yours.

There'll be many out there who'll listen to your drumming on this and say to themselves "yeah, but I can play that". Well, I say "could you"? "really"? and more to the point "would you"? This isn't about technique, it's about choices, & especially in this performance, it's about what you chose not to play, rather than what you actually played.

That's a world class performance right there Pol. No bigging up, no ego massaging, no over estimation. WORLD CLASS, period!

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
There'll be many out there who'll listen to your drumming on this and say to themselves "yeah, but I can play that". Well, I say "could you"? "really"? and more to the point "would you"? This isn't about technique, it's about choices, & especially in this performance, it's about what you chose not to play, rather than what you actually played.

That's a world class performance right there Pol. No bigging up, no ego massaging, no over estimation. WORLD CLASS, period!
100% agree with you Andy, you nailed the reasoning of choices as far as what is the best approach upon playing a song for us drummers, it's true that Polly's drumming in the Kinks' cover isn't about technique and "ego massage", it's about what suit the song best, once the "right" choice is made, it's not about what you play, it's how you play it, and that's the real challenge, and while it's very easy for us to "cover" Polly's version of her song, it's not easy to have her approach and hit it with the perfect mood and feel, yes, world class indeed :)

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
100% agree with you Andy, you nailed the reasoning of choices as far as what is the best approach upon playing a song for us drummers, it's true that Polly's drumming in the Kinks' cover isn't about technique and "ego massage", it's about what suit the song best, once the "right" choice is made, it's not about what you play, it's how you play it, and that's the real challenge, and while it's very easy for us to "cover" Polly's version of her song, it's not easy to have her approach and hit it with the perfect mood and feel, yes, world class indeed :)
Yes Henri, I think I can say, with absolute conviction, Pol's performance on this song is significantly better than anything I've ever achieved, even "back in the day".

dmacc_2

This!

The people who force their dexterity on the music (and there are some - if not many) are not interested in creating music. They are interested in practicing within the context of the song.

Ultimately the groove and musicianship create music - not dexterity. Unfortunately I think many have gone of the deep end with their need to show all of their dexterity.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Cheers muchly, guys. Not inclined to agree with this "world class" accusation but I'd rather you say that than "bottom of the class" :)

keep it simple said:
True. This happens with Charlie Watts. It's one thing for people to say "yeah, I can play that beat", another to execute it from go to whoa with his consistency and feel, and remain locked in and cogent with the flow of music.

As for choices, I did pare down from my first couple of efforts. The song just kept asking for the drums to stay put. And, as I say, it's fun, it physically feels good to play.

Andy, your achievements in music are nothin' to be sneezed at! You paid the bills for 6 years with your playing, you play fabulous gigs, have women throwing underwear, you have a guitarist who played in a world class prog band, you're an endorser, you help design gear ... I play fun old songs with a bunch of eggheads in a rehearsal studio :)

Mad About Drums said:
it's not about what you play, it's how you play it, and that's the real challenge
Yep, the old jazz credo - it's not what you do but the way that you do it. It applies to almost all genres IMO (maybe not so much prog and avant garde).

dmacc said:
The people who force their dexterity on the music (and there are some - if not many) are not interested in creating music. They are interested in practicing within the context of the song.

Ultimately the groove and musicianship create music - not dexterity. Unfortunately I think many have gone of the deep end with their need to show all of their dexterity
Good point. It's always disappointing when a player tries too hard and plays where it's not needed, to reduced effect. Having said that, my choices are more limited than any of you guys, in some cases, much more.

Of course it depends on genre / song - in some styles the aim is to stretch to your peak to get the required intensity, and in others the drummer needs to hold back and support.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Not inclined to agree with this "world class" accusation but I'd rather you say that than "bottom of the class" :)
Sorry Pol, on this occasion, you're just plain wrong. Any drum part that supports & adds subtle flavour to the song, yet essentially goes un noticed as a drum part in it's own right, is world class. Just those elements alone, are what most pro session players strive to achieve.

Andy, your achievements in music are nothin' to be sneezed at! You paid the bills for 6 years with your playing, you play fabulous gigs, have women throwing underwear, you have a guitarist who played in a world class prog band, you're an endorser, you help design gear ... I play fun old songs with a bunch of eggheads in a rehearsal studio :)
And background has absolutely nothing to do with creating a gem of a performance. This performance Pol, is a gem. I've had few, if any, gem performances in my truncated "career". Stand proud, tits out, & say to yourself "yeah, I nailed that"!