The Heel Toe Thread

Heel Toe Question

The 1st time I saw this technique was when I´ve downloaded Derrick Pope´s Heel Toe video and I´m thankful for his work on making these great lessons :) Thanks Man ;)
So when I started practising the Heel Toe I was doing it like -> Heel-Toe - Heel Toe... which is very confortable but then I wanted to speed up a little after somne days of practise and I accidently isntead of Heel-Toe - Heel Toe... I was doing Heel, Heel - Toe, Toe. I started with my right foot on Heel, then on my left foot Hell and then finally by using the Toe on my right and then the Toe of my left ;)
So I´ve gotta say that I find using the Heel Toe method this way more confortable

Am I doing it right?
Are there any advantages or disadvantages?

Thanks dudes :)

heel-toe technique

i watched the videos.. i try it. i have a iron cobra double and.. my feet are size 13
i dont have enough room to do it lol
any solutions?

Re: heel-toe technique

tamadrummer132 said:
i watched the videos.. i try it. i have a iron cobra double and.. my feet are size 13
i dont have enough room to do it lol
any solutions?

Oh, you can do it..trust me.

Re: heel-toe technique

I have a size 14. IT IS POSSIBLE!!!

1. Remove all toe stoppers and other such things.

2. Lighten your footwear. Even if you wear a size 8 shoe, if you have giant nike basketball shoes on, its gonna be tough. I play barefoot but thats just a personal preference. Tim Waterson uses water socks. Maybe try some light converse low-tops.

3. Heel drops on the back of the footboard and rolls forward, the toe catches the board as the beater is on its way back and throws it forward again. Make sure you understand the physics of what is actually happening.

I say again: IT IS POSSIBLE

D

stee said:
do both, i do, it got me the fastest drummer award in asc with wfd for 1357 bpm!!!

Yeah? Well I'm the best looking drummer in the world!!! Just ask my wife.

Seriously, are you actually ranked by the WFD or are you just another guy who talks alot? If you are ranked, much respect. If not, shut up.

Secondly, a WFD title and a dollar won't even get you on the subway. WFD is cool but let's stop thinking that anyone outside of our little world gives a damn about it. I like it for the technique aspect and the guys in it are cool (for the most part) but WFD titles don't make the hair on the back of your arms stand up the way great music does.

Heel Toe Technique

I've been trying heel toe technique for ages and can not ssem to gain speed or quick enough response in my feet. I do 500 heel toes a day to practice.Can some please help me. Help!

Re: Heel Toe Technique

I've been trying heel toe technique for ages and can not ssem to gain speed or quick enough response in my feet. I do 500 heel toes a day to practice.Can some please help me. Help!
I think that Tim Waterson's DVD is either out or will be soon. He's used heel/toe in a very famous way, if you don't already know.

Here's his myspace--

myspace.com/timwaterson

Thanx for the suggestions guys but I have watched the Derrick Pope numerous times for reference. Thats why im so desarate for help because i have watched the videos of heel toe on the internet and see no improvement.

Just keep at it it will come, and practice it very slowly.

These kinda motions can take months to learn, thats just the way it is. it will come, no amount of watching vidoes will change that, providing you understand the technique that is.

I struggled to get my heel-toe even for a while, got the strokes to sound almost even, but couldn't roll evenly at low speeds, so I tried the constant release.

From the horses mouth ( not that Steve looks like a horse persay ):
http://www.vicfirth.com/education/drumset/smith.html
and watch the video, I'm not sure when Vic Firth change the videos so best to have a look ASAP.

This will help heel up and heel down, and has improved my heel toe aswell.

Thanx guys for all your help. The constant release has gotten rid of my fear of the heel toe technique and I wont give up practicing it. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Constant release is the way to go.1- It works alot like moeller (same physics principle). 2. It doesn't directly involve the heel but the motions are similar. Actual heel-toe seems to work by strikeing the footpedal with the toe and the heel. In my opinion this doesn't make much sense. If you do this your'e never hitting the footpedal in the sweet spot. Like holding a drumstick in a balanced place for you're fulcrum. Why would you want to move your hand around the stick looseing bounce. When you do constant release it puts the strikeing point of the ball of your foot on the sweet spot of the pedal for both the downstroke & uptroke.(and the tap strokes for triplets and so on). If you want to get your feet (or foot if you don't have a double pedal)in shape to better execute these motions, look up my post on the "double bass thread"( pg. 16 ). It is in my opinion it's the best overall way to develop strong well balanced feet.......later.......T

Last edited:

Just keep at it it will come, and practice it very slowly.

These kinda motions can take months to learn, thats just the way it is. it will come, no amount of watching vidoes will change that, providing you understand the technique that is.

I have been practicing heel toe at a quarter note pattern and it has been working better. I noticed now that it is more about training muscles, not performing stuff from memory(if that makes sense).

This technique is so important. Check out the Vruk pedal. It will allow you to take this technique to a whole new level. You will be able to do things you could only dream of.

This technique is so important. Check out the Vruk pedal. It will allow you to take this technique to a whole new level. You will be able to do things you could only dream of.

Can you give a link relating to the Vruk pedal. I have not heard of it before,thanx.

Back