THE HEEL TOE THREAD

Blue

skippy said:
ok you all no what they say about guys with big feet...they cant play the heel toe thing...so i have size 12 shoes and a dw 7000 pedal anyone who can help me leard this will be greatly admired...please help.
thanks in advance

skippy
I don't know if someone has mentioned this already... but get the Axis Longboards that Chris Adler uses. He has big feet too, and he can do it on those pedals...

LimaBeans

beatsMcGee said:
Correct me if I'm not wrong, but you're NOT using the heel to produce the second stroke, correct? It appears that your heel is hitting the bass pedal in such a way that it wouldn't produce the second stroke. The ball-toe technique finally clicked with me the other day, and yes, it can be done with size 13 shoes on crappy gibraltar pedals that constantly fall apart.

C

Chip

YES! I have been eagerly awaiting this video, I thought your next was for left hand weakness, but it's heeltoe, YES!

Also, this "buy-longboards-if-you're-feet-are-too-big" thing is getting a bit tedious. It has been proven that you don't need to fit your whole foot to do it effeciently. It's not the heel actually making the stroke. Even Jojo says it.

k3ng

Silver Member
I've read the Jojo explanation over and over and seen the vidoes over and over... but i still don't quite get it.

My first question is this though,

when you do the heel stroke, which part of the foot is touching the pedal all the way down? And what is it spose to feel like? cos most of the time i tend to have my heel crashing down on the floor...

Secondly, on the toe stroke, how does the stroke happen in order to prepare for the next heel stroke? Again, what's it spose to feel like on the pedals?

retco

I'm not sure if anyone has already described this in this thread, but an alternate to heel-toe is to bounce the pedal off the ball of your foot, meaning - you hit the pedal the first time with the ball of your foot - let it rebound off the drum - and hit it again with the ball of your foot. I started out playing heel-toe but naturally progressed to playing this way, I think for me it is both faster and more efficient, perhaps it will be similar for others. cheers

retco

I retract my last post, I went and played today to see if that was in fact what i was doing, and I found that I am still doing a heel toe motion but it is much less pronounced than it used to be - I found that I am almost slapping the pedal for the double kick with my foot almost flat against the pedal rather than rolling from heel to toe, however the momentum for the pedal on the first hit is coming mostly from the heel area of the foot while the momentum for the second hit is coming mostly from the ball area of my foot.

DoubleBassUrFace

Re: Videos of Heel toe bass method

seems like a good idea, but, how do i de-tention my springs. i have a dw 7000 double pedal.

NUTHA JASON said:
i used to think that having more tension on springs = faster pedals but from DVDs and also at drummerlive2005 i saw that it was the opposite. since then i have detensioned my springs to the extent that my beatere swings back and forth for at least ten seconds after i leave it and voila i'm suddenly a lot faster and have more endurance. seems obvious to me now.

j

ps: sorry guys but i had to remove the link to the heel toe method as it is copyrighted and its owner specifically asked me to do it. please only post public stuff (videos that are available on quite a few sites). it is hard to tell i know, but if something has good quality sound, size and is as long as this video was then you can be sure that it is meant to be bought. who knows, one day you will want to make an instructional clip and then want paying. and on top of that we don't want Drummerworld to be sued. protect the forum please.

F

fixmejesus

Congradulations all! With the last video, the heel-toe has been demystified.

Now eveyone make make their bass drum beats sound like farts!
The faster, the more fart like soung you can make. Wonderful!

Martal

Regarding Heel Toe

Now,when i ask this,please dont get me wrong.Im not one of those types of people who tried doing the HeelToe for 5 seconds and said ''Cant do it,my feet are to big''.

My feet are seriously too big,i can do heel toe on my old Tama HP200 without any shoes QUITE well (Why quite and not very?Because my toes are against the chain). Now,when i try to do it with my shoes on it just becomes impossible.You know that thing that in the end of the pedal,where you supposedly put your heel when playing heeldown?Well,my foot ends there when the nose of my shoe is against the chain already.

So,thats my quetion/rant.For awhile i heard there was a video that showed a way to do it without having your foot completely on the board.Anyone know of that or any other tips on Heeltoe'ing with big feet?

Thx

Vic_Rattledeth

Okay so I tryed heel toe for the very first time today and....I nailed it! It's actually quite easy once you get the motion, I was doing doubles at about 200 bpm. I'm really happy....:D

Last edited:

Jared_Falk

I believe that the Heel - Toe technique is the ultimate way to develop speed, power, and endurance on the drumkit. I also believe that you should have worked through your single stroke roll before moving onto your doubles. You will probably use singles more thank doubles. It's a great tool to have in your drummers toolbox though.

baddrumming

Could someone please post a reply to this problem.

As many of you are probably aware there have been some video clips supplied by a drum tutor from pittsburg US concerning the Heel toe method. This is a technique i thought could improve my double stoke rolls so i set about to learn it. After a few days of practise messing around i felt comfortable with this technique at speeds of 185bpm +. However this on my electronic kit! when it comes to converting this technique to my friends acoustic kit the second stroke of the double is a lot quieter than the first hence an uneven double stroke bass drum roll. How is possible to execute an even sounding roll on the bass drum of an acoustic kit?? The Method heel toe suggests that the heel stroke is obviously more powerful than the toe stroke. This is fine on an electronic kit as the quieter sounds can also be registered and sound the same as the Heel stroke. Can Someone please share some advice towards creating an even roll on an acoustic kit. I use an IRON COBRA Double pedal by the way. THANX

Tim Waterson

WFD ACEDRUMMER
baddrumming said:
Could someone please post a reply to this problem.

As many of you are probably aware there have been some video clips supplied by a drum tutor from pittsburg US concerning the Heel toe method. This is a technique i thought could improve my double stoke rolls so i set about to learn it. After a few days of practise messing around i felt comfortable with this technique at speeds of 185bpm +. However this on my electronic kit! when it comes to converting this technique to my friends acoustic kit the second stroke of the double is a lot quieter than the first hence an uneven double stroke bass drum roll. How is possible to execute an even sounding roll on the bass drum of an acoustic kit?? The Method heel toe suggests that the heel stroke is obviously more powerful than the toe stroke. This is fine on an electronic kit as the quieter sounds can also be registered and sound the same as the Heel stroke. Can Someone please share some advice towards creating an even roll on an acoustic kit. I use an IRON COBRA Double pedal by the way. THANX
Just let the heel drop you dont need to slam it and roll the toes forward by raising the heel and the volume will even itself out.
Takes practice to get it even but go SLOW..
Good luck and God Bless
Tim