The Heel Toe Thread

I had the same issue as the originator of this thread.........size 12 (UK) and not very long foot-board.
I have Tama Iron Cobra, with the Cobra Coil and found an easy solution, well for me anyway.....took my shoes off and play in my socks.

Sorry if someone else has suggested this but the thread is a bit long now to trawl through it all!

Compare a 20$ single-pedal to a 200$ single-pedal.
What would the differences be? Do they go down easier or something?
I mean they're obviously gonna last you longer, but what are the differences in the feel of them?

I think I have a mental block or something of that sort, because I can not make the heel toe technique work. I've watched several videos, and I can make it work with one foot for a few good strokes, but it just gets sloppy and sounds awful. I actually have better luck with the slide technique. I was able to get the basics down in about an hour of work, and now I use it almost subconciously.

Quick question here for the experienced players re heel toe technique.
I watched quite a few videos of players explain the technique on youtube and i get the deal.
My next question relates to using the heel toe technique with two kick pedals. I need to know the order in which to do the 16th notes.
Do I do heel toe on the right foot first and then repeat the same pattern on the left foot OR do i heel on the right then heel on the left and then toe on right and then toe on left?
Thanks for your assistance.

I would definitely think heel toe heel toe between left and right, just because it seems like it would lose it's fluidity the other way. That said, my left foot ain't even close... YET!!

Hi guys, quick update from myself.
I'm actually a guitar player that wanted to learn the drums (mainly as I wanted to get better timing for my guitar playing and to learn a new instrument).
I am coming at this as a brand new drummer without any technique that has been developed over many years of practice.
One of the first things i did before getting my kit was to do a lot of research on the net about drumming techniques (i don't have a teacher so didn't want to develop bad habits)
After using Youtube (great resource) I decided that heel toe would be a great foot technique to start with.
Ok, i've had my kit nearly three weeks now and thanks to watching the Jared Falk bass lessons it has really cleared up what I was initially doing wrong with heel toe. Firstly my toes were right up at the chain and I was bringing my entire foot off the board each time I tried to do a stroke.
Now I have my foot no more than half way up the board (my heel touches the floor) and my foot is always in contact with the footboard. My leg and ankle muscles are relaxed and after a lot of practice im finally getting a consistent stream of 16th notes (when i first started i would hear an audible pause between feet), the volume is getting even now too.
I know that a few months down the line i'll have developed my muscles more and will have better control over this technique. I have size 11 feet and its not a problem, I just make sure my feet aren't at an angle and that they are only half way up the board and that I make very efficient movement

Shouldn't this technique be called toe heel?

Check out this Pete Riley video; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB4U2aajsvI

That's basically how i've been doing it and it seems way more natural to start with the toe for me
This is SLIDE like most drummers we exagurate the movement to demo.
but when Pete plays he is definately sliding his foot
Tim

This is SLIDE like most drummers we exagurate the movement to demo.
but when Pete plays he is definately sliding his foot
Tim

Cool
Guess i'm more of a slider than a heel toer then :)

Guys / gals,

which is the preferred / correct technique.. H(R)H(L)T(R)T(L) or H(R)T(R)H(L)T(L). I seem to be more comfy doing H(R)H(L)T(R)T(L).

Cheers

(R) = Right
(L) = Left

Guys / gals,

which is the preferred / correct technique.. H(R)H(L)T(R)T(L) or H(R)T(R)H(L)T(L). I seem to be more comfy doing H(R)H(L)T(R)T(L).

Cheers

(R) = Right
(L) = Left
The first way is what I call "straight doubles". The 2nd variation is called "interlaced" it seems. Do whatever works better for you, or best - learn them all! There's the left foot lead version of both ways, too, that'll make 4 ways to practice.

I can do them all and I'm comfortable with all 4 ways. But the "straight" version is better (for me) for the highest speed range. "Interlaced" works great from moderately slow on but from around 220 on I feel it's hard to keep up the sync so I'd switch to the "straight" version.

The "interlaced" version is great to have one foot going (8th notes), then bringing the other foot in (playing the missing 8th notes so both feet would play 16th notes), then eliminating one foot again.

I'v size 11 shoes, and I use the heel toe method literaly all the time.
I own a mapex pedal that came stock with the kit, I'm looking into buying a better pedal, but still, I think I pretty much master the heel toe method, I just tend to push my feet waay up almost into the chain.
So, it can be done with relatively big feet!

I've been having a hell of a time finding the right pedal for me and ended up cutting my brand new Mapex Raptor in half and stretching the foot board some 80mm, I've made it so it's adjustable and sure enuff it worked better than my Demon Eliminator and a host of other pedals I've tried out including an Axis (which wasn't mine). Even the Axis I find that placing my heel far enough up the board to get a good feeling down stroke puts my toes too close to the cam and beater shaft and it interferes with my technique as I can't help but keep bumping my toes. I see this topic covered time and time again in so many forums and articles I can't understand why on earth a manufacturer doesn't design an inifinitely adjustable footboard, it would be soooooooo easy, mine is rough looking but it proved to me the concept works in getting a true heel toe motion going with room for your toes. Why are the manufacturers stubbornly blind to this? Beats me?? pardon the pun!

I feel like heel toe should have a different name. When I first learned it, I literally tried playing with the back of my heel to the tips of my toes, and footboards generally aren't long enough for this. Once I figured it out, it's absolutely nothing like its name. It's more like the second half of your foot to the first half. For me, most of the heel stroke comes from the lower mid part. Plus with super long footboards there is generally a lot of bulk, but the Tama Speed Cobra looks pretty light and fast.

This thread has some funny stuff IMO.

Barefoot/shoes/socks/boots/longboard/shortboard/directdrive/strapdrive/chaindrive shouldn't matter in whatever way you make the noise.

Heel/Toe means which part of your foot is providing the impetus to drive the pedal. It works much the same motion as 'gravity blasts' or 'one-handed rolls' except it's using your foot. Replace the stick hitting the rim from the gravity blast with your heel hitting the floor/heelplate and it's pretty much the same.

Hope that makes sense.

Back