The Hat and Beard Drum Shops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Raghav Mehrotra uses all those hip rattle deals on his kit and he is our next hero of drumming. Watch and see
He doesn't wear a hat hough or sport a beard (kinda young to have a serious beard)

I think if you paid some writers to get from my original post to "swastikas are good, actually" they'd have no idea how to get there. Bravo, folks.
your welcome, I think we all agreed with you a few pages back, can't remember now.. Any way fleshing out a thread seems informative...I might grow my beard back.. pass my hat

Steve Maxwell selling vintage gear sporting a Lee Sklar type beard and a an old hat.

He'd be Gandalf of the drum world.

They're not that large, but they could double up as an emergency splash cymbal at a pinch:censored:
:ROFLMAO: ...... or ........ stack 'em on your hi hat when your yak toenail rattles aren't quite creating the "atmosphere" you desire;)

I really like our local H&B. Super friendly and helpful. And you get to see a cool drummer there now and then. It’s the place to go for special cymbals. They have the good stuff.

Last edited:
I guess I would call our drum shop a "Gut and Beard" drum shop...lots of the regulars are now in their 50's and are sporting that hip look...

The expression "hat and beard" might've seemed like a coinage by someone disparaging so-called "hipsters," but it was the title of a tune by Eric Dolphy as a tribute to Thelonious Monk, whose tradmark was his hat and beard. Actually, I kind of like that tag for a boutique drum shop. And "hipster" refers to cool-obsessed jazz aficionados, back in the day. Hip flasks were in vogue during the 1920a Prohibition. If you had booze in a hip flask, you were hip.

In Rockabilly Hipsters are Girls.. Train Kept a Roll'n has reference. Tiny Bradshaw Wrote it ...Blues and Jump style could even be from the Forties..

Last edited by a moderator:
The expression "hat and beard" might've seemed like a coinage by someone disparaging so-called "hipsters," but it was the title of a tune by Eric Dolphy as a tribute to Thelonious Monk, whose tradmark was his hat and beard. Actually, I kind of like that tag for a boutique drum shop. And "hipster" refers to cool-obsessed jazz aficionados, back in the day. Hip flasks were in vogue during the 1920a Prohibition. If you had booze in a hip flask, you were hip.

Yup. It's what I like about the phrase-- it's obviously now a reference to the ubiquity of trucker hats and fancy-boy beards in these places, but it's also a nod to lots of previous iterations of coolness/hipness being somehow connected with having a cool hat and an impressive beard.

And "hipster" refers to cool-obsessed jazz aficionados, back in the day. Hip flasks were in vogue during the 1920a Prohibition. If you had booze in a hip flask, you were hip.
And in modern times they come up with ”tweaker“ and ”pothead”.

I’ve never been to a tweaker drum shop.

I don’t believe people are disparaging anyone- more tongue in cheek teasing like giving Lars crap. I see it's just teasing as no one really gives a crap. Part of male friendship in my "neck of the woods" is to tease and give your friends crap. If not screw drummers ya bunch of low life amoeba lol. This thread reminds me of this Johnny Carson interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back