The harp as a percussion instrument

PQleyR

Platinum Member
I've posted a few things that my sister's done lately but I think this one might be of more general interest to a community of percussionists such as this! I also think this may be the first time one of Jeff Porcaro's grooves has been played on this type of instrument.

See what you think. I'm sure she would appreciate your comments.

Amy Turk - Africa

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
At a loss for proper words. To both of you, superb.
I contacted Amy through her website to thank you and her for sharing her talent with us.

Last edited:

Magenta

Platinum Member
One of my favourite instruments and one of my favourite songs. Absolutely gobsmacking combination. Thank you :D

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Just wow Ben - number 1 Amy fan :)

Oh, & Ben, ignore Bermuda, he's obviously been cavorting with Bo Eder, & it's rubbing off (or at least I think that's what they said)!

Jeff Almeyda

Senior Consultant
Any woman who had that played at her wedding would have just melted. Her friends would have melted as well and then gone green with envy.

Beautiful touch on the instrument.

PQleyR

Platinum Member
Thanks everyone for your kind words, I've sent Amy the link to this thread so I'm sure she will be pleased to read them!

Harp as percussion? Wouldn't that be... a piano?! :)
If you'll forgive me taking your most mirthful and humorous comment seriously for a moment, this comment prompted me to investigate the evolution of the piano, and apparently it can can be traced back through the harpsichord to the european psaltery, which is a sort of zither. I guess I'd always sort of assumed that the harp influenced the piano more directly than that, but I guess I'm forgetting that the modern harp is relatively recent. Come to think of it the harpsichord and metal-framed piano were roughly contemporaneous with the single- and double-action pedal harp respectively.

But I digress. What I probably should have said was 'ha ha' :)

Any woman who had that played at her wedding would have just melted. Her friends would have melted as well and then gone green with envy.
I am now imagining a wedding party being turned into radioactive green goo by my sister's harp playing. Excellent!

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Wow...she plays as beauitifully as she looks........thanks for posting that ..I imagine it's tough to find a case for that :)

Steve B