The HAARP Machine - Esoteric Agenda Cover Video

Hi Everyone!

I wanted to post this cover of the song "Esoteric Agenda" from The HAARP Machine's 2012 album, Disclosure.

http://youtu.be/V0X3LJNoGiI

A friend recommended that I check this band out about a year ago, but I never got around to it until I stumbled upon Alex Rudinger's video of his drum recording session recently on YouTube. After watching the video, not only did I immediately love it, I also immediately wanted to give it a try. Rudinger's drumming is so precise, heavy, and effortlessly fast. I hope that I do the song justice!

As for the mix, I experimented with mic placement a bit on this recording. I won't pretend that I know what I'm doing - I'm still finding my way with recording and audio editing - instead I simply wanted to see what things would sound like. For reference, I'm using the CAD Touring 7 seven-piece drum mic set with the following set up. One overhead condenser mic was pointed at the top of the snare; the other condenser was pointed between the underside of my right-side floor tom and the batter head end of the bass drum shell from about a foot and a half away. I had the bass drum mic positioned approximately 8" inside the front end of the bass drum via a port in the resonant head. One of the instrument mics was clipped to the basket of my snare drum stand in order to capture the snares from below. And, the remaining 3 instrument mics were clipped to the rims of my three toms. I wasn't dissatisfied with the result, but I look forward to further experimentation. Overall, I feel the snare sound in my recording lacks the power and fullness that I was looking for, but on the upside I did find my bass drum and tom sound was nice and beefy - and has been improving with each video.

I also transcribed this song and posted a lesson video to YouTube. You can find the transcription at my website, www.gattsdrums.com.

Please let me know what you think! Thanks a lot!

Geoff

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Music's not for me, but sharp playing :)

Yes, snare sound needs attention, but other drums are sounding short & punchy, & that's right for the song vibe/playing style.

Thanks! Yep, I couldn't get the snare quite right, which is a bummer because it's a new snare! Oh well, hopefully with the next one I'll get it to sound right.

Thank you for watching!

Geoff

Yerffej

Amazing! Great job, man! I've been working on my double kick lately, and I can only dream of playing as fast and clean as you. If I'm not mistaken, you're playing mostly heel up and or flatfoot, yeah?

Amazing! Great job, man! I've been working on my double kick lately, and I can only dream of playing as fast and clean as you. If I'm not mistaken, you're playing mostly heel up and or flatfoot, yeah?
Thanks a lot! Yep, I'm playing heel up, although I do put my heel down during longer breaks between foot strokes so that it helps with my overall balance.

What kind of stuff are you working on? Anything in particular? I don't know what you're into, but I've been helped a lot over the years by the following:

A) Pretty much every educational book or DVD by Thomas Lang, Virgil Donati, Marco Minnemann, and Mike Mangini :) These guys come up with a ton of great double bass exercises (and a ton of other great things, too!). Thomas Lang emphasizes practicing heel up and heel down, so I've tried to incorporate both methods while practicing - although I really can't get as fast with heel down as I can with heel up.

B) Playing along to fast heavy metal music - or other fast music like drum 'n' bass or techno

C) Setting my drums up with the hi hat on the opposite side of what I'm used to. For example, I'm right handed, so I like to put the hi hat on my right side so it forces me to use my left foot more. Or...like in my video, now I have two hi hats to allow me to use either foot.

Do you have any music or videos posted anywhere that we can check out?

Thanks!

Geoff

Yerffej

Thanks a lot! Yep, I'm playing heel up, although I do put my heel down during longer breaks between foot strokes so that it helps with my overall balance.

What kind of stuff are you working on? Anything in particular? I don't know what you're into, but I've been helped a lot over the years by the following:

A) Pretty much every educational book or DVD by Thomas Lang, Virgil Donati, Marco Minnemann, and Mike Mangini :) These guys come up with a ton of great double bass exercises (and a ton of other great things, too!). Thomas Lang emphasizes practicing heel up and heel down, so I've tried to incorporate both methods while practicing - although I really can't get as fast with heel down as I can with heel up.

B) Playing along to fast heavy metal music - or other fast music like drum 'n' bass or techno

C) Setting my drums up with the hi hat on the opposite side of what I'm used to. For example, I'm right handed, so I like to put the hi hat on my right side so it forces me to use my left foot more. Or...like in my video, now I have two hi hats to allow me to use either foot.

Do you have any music or videos posted anywhere that we can check out?

Thanks!

Geoff

Cool, thanks for the suggestions! Lately I've been playing 16th notes between 100 and 110 bpm for 2 minutes straight (110 wasn't sounding clean today so I went down to 100). Then at 130 bpm I do eighth notes with my right foot for the first 3 quarter notes on the cymbal and then 16ths for the 4th note 4 times in a row. When I'm done that I transition into doing 8th notes for the first two notes and then 16ths for the second half of the phrase, etc until I get to doing constant 16th notes. Not sure if this makes sense but it's the best I can describe it.

I like all kinds of heavy music, bands like Periphery, Animals As Leaders, Norma Jean, Mychildren Mybride, The Burial, No Bragging Rights, etc. My drum teacher taught me two of the patterns from "Bleed" by Meshuggah but I'm not even close on getting it up to speed.

I can play fast bursts with double kick, but when I'm going with constant 16th notes my feet just can't seem to get comfortable, I may be tensing up too much or something, I'm not sure.

I did a cover a while back of Animals As Leaders' "Point to Point" if you want to check it out! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ6atb4HEKA&list=UUu-y1q5LfiVrgElVLKvvxdg

Cool, thanks for the suggestions! Lately I've been playing 16th notes between 100 and 110 bpm for 2 minutes straight (110 wasn't sounding clean today so I went down to 100). Then at 130 bpm I do eighth notes with my right foot for the first 3 quarter notes on the cymbal and then 16ths for the 4th note 4 times in a row. When I'm done that I transition into doing 8th notes for the first two notes and then 16ths for the second half of the phrase, etc until I get to doing constant 16th notes. Not sure if this makes sense but it's the best I can describe it.

I like all kinds of heavy music, bands like Periphery, Animals As Leaders, Norma Jean, Mychildren Mybride, The Burial, No Bragging Rights, etc. My drum teacher taught me two of the patterns from "Bleed" by Meshuggah but I'm not even close on getting it up to speed.

I can play fast bursts with double kick, but when I'm going with constant 16th notes my feet just can't seem to get comfortable, I may be tensing up too much or something, I'm not sure.

I did a cover a while back of Animals As Leaders' "Point to Point" if you want to check it out! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ6atb4HEKA&list=UUu-y1q5LfiVrgElVLKvvxdg
Awesome, yeah I get what you mean for the exercises. I think those sound as good as any others! The only thing I would suggest is to make sure you do them with both a right foot lead and a left foot lead. Otherwise, you're golden.

I checked out your AAL "Point to Point" video. It's awesome! You should try some more of their stuff when you get a chance. The only bummer about them is everything is so complicated, haha.

I couldn't help but notice your electronic drums set up beside you. What do you use? I have a similar situation; real drums and also a set of Roland TD-12s. They're so nice to have for practicing - especially double bass. I just turn on a preset pattern and go at it!

Yerffej

Awesome, yeah I get what you mean for the exercises. I think those sound as good as any others! The only thing I would suggest is to make sure you do them with both a right foot lead and a left foot lead. Otherwise, you're golden.

I checked out your AAL "Point to Point" video. It's awesome! You should try some more of their stuff when you get a chance. The only bummer about them is everything is so complicated, haha.

I couldn't help but notice your electronic drums set up beside you. What do you use? I have a similar situation; real drums and also a set of Roland TD-12s. They're so nice to have for practicing - especially double bass. I just turn on a preset pattern and go at it!

Leading with the left foot is definitely a good suggestion, I'll have to try that!

Thanks man! It's too bad the movie software ruined the video as well as my lack of mics, but I bought new movie software so I'm hoping to do some more covers in the near future. I've been meaning to learn the first double kick part of "CAFO", I think it would be good practice.

The electronic drums are Roland TD-3s. There's a lot of great sounds on it despite its age, and it's great for quieter practicing and playing along with a metronome.

Leading with the left foot is definitely a good suggestion, I'll have to try that!

Thanks man! It's too bad the movie software ruined the video as well as my lack of mics, but I bought new movie software so I'm hoping to do some more covers in the near future. I've been meaning to learn the first double kick part of "CAFO", I think it would be good practice.

The electronic drums are Roland TD-3s. There's a lot of great sounds on it despite its age, and it's great for quieter practicing and playing along with a metronome.
That's a bummer about the software! I use Final Cut Pro and I absolutely love it! But, it's about $200, so obviously that's pricey. I was using iMovie for a while though, and it worked pretty well too. It wasn't anything super crazy, but it definitely did the job :)