The Gretsch Brooklyn has arrived

NouveauCliche

Outdoor show went great! Couple hundred people came out - the university took tons of time to draw little 6 feet apart squares for people to be in - everyone was respectful of boundaries and safety and it was a total BLAST!

Felt great to be out.

Attachments

• IMG_6243.jpg
    IMG_6243.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6241.jpg
    IMG_6241.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 33
Hey folks,

Hope you are all well, safe and healthy.

My Grestch Brooklyn kit has arrived and it's wonderful.

It's a 22",10",12",16" set up - I'll likely add a 14" floor and a 8" rack tom and get an 18" kick just for versatility since this kind of an end-game kit.

I change the normal RIMS style mount for their lug attached GTS mount for a couple of reasons: Aesthetics - on a black kit that HUGE piece of chrome was distracting to me and 2. tom positioning - the lug mounts let me get the drums just a littleeee closer. I really love the lug suspension mounts! Big thanks again to the forum for this recommendation.

I went with EC2 SSTs on tom and G1s on bottom for the time being - they sound amazing. Warm, richy and punchy with some nice attack from the clear heads. They tuned up in an instant - all the edges were great - no quality issues or anything. On the kick I have an EMAD with the small ring and for the time being I moved the power stroke that it came with to the front while I get my real front head painted - cut a small hole in the PS too. It's sound DEEP and Punchy and fat....what a KICK.

I have it paired with the USA Bronze snare and it sound amazing - I put an Evans HD Dry on it and it's one of the better snare sounds I've ever had. Rich, and deep with a lot of tone and response. I'll likely change the huge stock snare with a Canopus 16 strand vintage snare - but for now it's all great.

Haven't recorded with it yet - but even on an iPhone video - the tones coming from this kit are insane.

The finish is Satin Black Metallic - it's rich and deep and has an almost gun metal grey tone to it in the light - everyone wants to touch it haha.

Awesome kit - can't recommend it enough!!

Interestingly - I was comparing it to the Renowns I used to have and these really are a lot richer and warmer sounding with the exact same head combination. I didn't suspect there would be that much difference - but there really is.
Awesome kit. I am looking at getting the same color. Does the finish seem durable compared to a gloss type finish as far as showing marks or rubs?

Yamaha Rider

Hey folks,

Hope you are all well, safe and healthy.

My Grestch Brooklyn kit has arrived and it's wonderful.

It's a 22",10",12",16" set up - I'll likely add a 14" floor and a 8" rack tom and get an 18" kick just for versatility since this kind of an end-game kit.

I change the normal RIMS style mount for their lug attached GTS mount for a couple of reasons: Aesthetics - on a black kit that HUGE piece of chrome was distracting to me and 2. tom positioning - the lug mounts let me get the drums just a littleeee closer. I really love the lug suspension mounts! Big thanks again to the forum for this recommendation.

I went with EC2 SSTs on tom and G1s on bottom for the time being - they sound amazing. Warm, richy and punchy with some nice attack from the clear heads. They tuned up in an instant - all the edges were great - no quality issues or anything. On the kick I have an EMAD with the small ring and for the time being I moved the power stroke that it came with to the front while I get my real front head painted - cut a small hole in the PS too. It's sound DEEP and Punchy and fat....what a KICK.

I have it paired with the USA Bronze snare and it sound amazing - I put an Evans HD Dry on it and it's one of the better snare sounds I've ever had. Rich, and deep with a lot of tone and response. I'll likely change the huge stock snare with a Canopus 16 strand vintage snare - but for now it's all great.

Haven't recorded with it yet - but even on an iPhone video - the tones coming from this kit are insane.

The finish is Satin Black Metallic - it's rich and deep and has an almost gun metal grey tone to it in the light - everyone wants to touch it haha.

Awesome kit - can't recommend it enough!!

Interestingly - I was comparing it to the Renowns I used to have and these really are a lot richer and warmer sounding with the exact same head combination. I didn't suspect there would be that much difference - but there really is.
Drool-worthy ❤
Great taste in art too.
Hey, 'Klimt and Gretsch' has a ring to it. Band name maybz? 😉

Square

Awesome kit. I am looking at getting the same color. Does the finish seem durable compared to a gloss type finish as far as showing marks or rubs?

I'm interested in this topic too. I have the same kit in the same color, but I don't gig. They sit in my music room either stacked or ready for attack.

I have had guitars with a mat black finish and when you looked at them sideways there would appear a shinny spot. Clean the sweat off... shinny spot.

So far I haven't seen the same delicate nature to these drums, but in the back of my mind, the worry is there.

I too would like to hear from a road warrior.

NouveauCliche

So far it looks brand new - now that I have a little time before our next run: I'll take a more indepth look when I clean them

The one spot I'm very interested in is the bottom of the bass drum - I use the Dixson (now evans) bass drum lift...so the bass drum sits on a little rubber thing to lift up the kick a bit: That's a great test of finish durability.

At a quick glance though - everything seems great.

The color is great - it picks up so much stage light, I was surprised considering it's black.

So far it looks brand new - now that I have a little time before our next run: I'll take a more indepth look when I clean them

The one spot I'm very interested in is the bottom of the bass drum - I use the Dixson (now evans) bass drum lift...so the bass drum sits on a little rubber thing to lift up the kick a bit: That's a great test of finish durability.

The color is great - it picks up so much stage light, I was surprised considering it's black

The color is great - it picks up so much stage light, I was surprised considering it's black.
Another thing that crossed my mind was a drumstick bumping or swiping the shell if things get out of hand on a fill :) It's a great looking kit and I imagine overall they will not show as many finish issues as a guitar or something that has contact much more than drums.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
So you never got extra toms or an eighteen in bass drum? So now you've been playing them for almost a year how are they holding up gigging and meeting your needs?

NouveauCliche

Been rocking a 4 piece version lately - Love the flexibility of cymbal placement with only the 10" tom!

Attachments

• Casa Flamenca.jpg
    Casa Flamenca.jpg
    781.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Santa Fe Plaza.jpg
    Santa Fe Plaza.jpg
    824.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Studio Video.jpg
    Studio Video.jpg
    422.3 KB · Views: 14

NouveauCliche

So you never got extra toms or an eighteen in bass drum? So now you've been playing them for almost a year how are they holding up gigging and meeting your needs?

Totally missed this - still haven't gotten the 8" or 14" tom or 18" kick - I just haven't needed them yet, though I'm sure the second I do I'll kick myself for not having one - which might be soon.

I'm recording on this album that's a tribute to Don Cherry with a bunch of musicians that actually played with him, etc. and I think an 18" would be appropriate for that.

Soon enough!!

They have been extremely road worthy man - almost every gig I play I have someone asking to see what the deal is with the kit and all the little parts and pieces that make it sound so good.

No problems with anything at ALL - it's a workhorse - total beast. Delivers every time man!!

C.M. Jones

Been rocking a 4 piece version lately - Love the flexibility of cymbal placement with only the 10" tom!
Sweet setup, Nick. Ergonomic ride placement is one of many reasons I always play a four-piece. I can't imagine adding a tom at this point. If I did, it would just be a towel holder -- Buddy Rich style.

NouveauCliche

Sweet setup, Nick. Ergonomic ride placement is one of many reasons I always play a four-piece. I can't imagine adding a tom at this point. If I did, it would just be a towel holder -- Buddy Rich style.

It's Certainly different - it drops my wing span down a little on stage too which is nice because when I have two rack toms, the 20" clapper and 21" ride on the left and the 23" ride and 18" on the right - I'm starting to get wide haha.

I do miss the 12,10, 16 set up when solo'ing a bit - I realize that I had a little pocket of licks that worked well with the slightly quad shaped set up. I might dink around with it and actually get those extra toms and do a 10", 8", 16" thing to see if it works and still maintains some cymbal ergonomics...but this will do the trick for now haha. (plus then I'd need more cases...and heads...and more of the GTS style tom mounts to replace the RIMS style ones....it's a whole deal adding more toms)

NouveauCliche

In residency this week at the opening of my project called "The Spirit Coalescent".

It mixed paintings, photography, dance, poetry and music!!

Getting to use the 135th anniversary Snare in a proper venue!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_8003.jpg
    IMG_8003.jpg
    587.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Spirit.jpg
    Spirit.jpg
    425 KB · Views: 8

yammyfan

In residency this week at the opening of my project called "The Spirit Coalescent".

It mixed paintings, photography, dance, poetry and music!!

Getting to use the 135th anniversary Snare in a proper venue!!!!
Looks awesome, Nicholas. I wish I played at a level that afforded me such opportunity but I'm genuinely happy to cheer on those who have put in the work and made things happen for themselves, as you have done. You must be having a ball!

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Totally missed this - still haven't gotten the 8" or 14" tom or 18" kick - I just haven't needed them yet, though I'm sure the second I do I'll kick myself for not having one - which might be soon.
Can't speak for the 8", but the 14" FT is awesome. I once saw a 14x6.5 maple snare with microsensitive throw off in my color (red Glass) on eBay and spent so much time chewing on it I lost out. Now, I'm far more into metal snares than wood, but the chances I'll find that exact snare again are zero and yes, I do kick myself.