THE GOOD SNARE THREAD

PreppieNerd

Silver Member
I am going to attempt a good request for info post:

The request.
I am looking for a primary snare with a fairly wide range of tuning, but sticking generally to a mid-to-low pitch. I want a sharp response, but preferably not a piccolo. I want it to be less than 5 inches deep. I don't care whether it is wood or metal. Price doesn't matter much as long as it is reasonable (less than $500) and worth it. My musical styles are: jazz, rock, and pseudo-metal. What is the snare for me? Ask for clarifications.

PdoubleE

I dont think that you are gona get the sound you want with a snare under 5 inches.....but it is possible.....Most piccolos are under 5 inches..and if you looking for sopmthing to tune lower i would go with a 6.5......And like i Preach to everyone...The yamaha Musashi is Really versitile. It can sound like a really hight tuned piccolo or a can go nice and low and have alot of punch. Its 13X6.5 so can be used as a Main or aux snare. Its a sensitive snare also that would be awsome for jazz. and It is Awsome for Prog/metal. Check it out..oh yeah..its also under 200$

Kaden

I'm currently goin' nuts trying to find a brass shelled 14x3 Pearl picollo...Absolutely the most versatile, sensitive, player friendly snare I've ever sat down to. My original was from '92...I sold it under duress, and have pined for it ever since.

Really freakin' loud, too.

K

adorno

Saw this on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ludwig-Supraphonic-400-Chrome-10-Lug-Snare-Drum-60s_W0QQitemZ7387452033QQcategoryZ64434QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Firstly do you think it's the genuine article?

It looks a bit knackered but I'm not too bothered about that - I'm more interested in how it sounds. Do you think the superficial damage on the side will affect its sound quality?

The seller says the snare wires are not original but then I have read in this thread that people have changed the snare wires anyway.

All in all I just wanted to get people's advice (and hopefully not get embroiled in a bidding war with someone from these boards!)

Thanks

adorno

adorno said:
Saw this on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ludwig-Supraphonic-400-Chrome-10-Lug-Snare-Drum-60s_W0QQitemZ7387452033QQcategoryZ64434QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Firstly do you think it's the genuine article?

It looks a bit knackered but I'm not too bothered about that - I'm more interested in how it sounds. Do you think the superficial damage on the side will affect its sound quality?

The seller says the snare wires are not original but then I have read in this thread that people have changed the snare wires anyway.

All in all I just wanted to get people's advice (and hopefully not get embroiled in a bidding war with someone from these boards!)

Thanks
There's only an hour left before bidding ends - any help please people?!

larkin42

New Snare?!?

I want to buy a new snare. Right now I have a Pearl Professional Series Steel snare made in the 80's I believe. It does sound fantastic, the best sounding steel snare I have personally ever heard. But I am looking for a good wooden snare. Does anyone have any ideas for a decent wooden snare I can get for around $100 or less. Dont have to be new, I will buy used... Any Ideas greatly appreciated.

Mcbrain

Re: New Snare?!?

Make one....
Get a Keller shell some decent hardware and a good throw off....Bet you could do it for around 100.00 give or take a few bucks.......You will be suprised how cheap it can be....Cheers !!!!!!!!

Louis tbh

Help me choose a Snare Drum

I own a CB beginners kit. I have done pretty much everything involving the tuning of my drums. I am pleased with everything but my snare right now. My snare has been a real nightmare.

I have Evans HD for the batter, Some Aquarian side snare for the reso. I don't like the buzzing this drum gives me. There are 6 lugs per hoop and I am looking for a snare drum that is easier to tune. Preferably with 10 lugs so I can make the tention around the snare bed different to else where.

I play most things, but mainly rock music and heavy rock music. However, I am still learning so I want this snare drum to be versitile and suitable for playing styles of music which I want to learn in the near future.

I want a quite a bright sound which is quite focused, but still has a little decay and a ring afterwards.

As for the budget, I will happily spend £200, maybe £250 on this snare drum.

Oh, and can someone explain to me what snare beds are, and what to look out for. I don't want a snare that buzzes alot when I don't hit it.

I also plan on buying a sonor 3005 (and selling the snare drum with it) with a Red and Black Piano finnish, so I may be fussy about the finnish.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Drummer Karl

KARL MEMBER
Re: Help me choose a Snare Drum

hello,

try the Dennis Chambers oder Chad Smith Signature Snare Drums! but I don`t know whether they are in your price range...but they are good.

Karl

pcmckay

The best snare drum I have ever played is the 6.5 x 14" Ludwig Suprahonic Steel chrome snare drum. It is very versatile for rock, jazz, country etc. This drum in my opinion is the drum in which all snare drums are measured. This was the indusrty standard in the 50's, 60's, and 70's. Also if someone researched this I bet this drum (including the 5 1/2 x 14") has been recorded on more popular music from those time periods then any other drum. What more do you need? It projects well, but at the same time is very sensitive for softer music. It is the perfect tool for any kit.

onemat

I'm down to two snares...I sold a bunch in the last few years due to financial problems. I use a 5/1/4 Black Beauty for almost everything. The only thing I've done is gone to a 42 strand snare which gave the drum a wider range. I also have the current Maple PDP snare which is OK, but not like my old Jazzfest. The only snares I've sold which I regret were my '67 5-1/4 Supra, my '66 Jazzfest, and my 70 6 1/2 Supra. I hope to own those drums again.

TopCat

Gold Member
hey, im currently using the Pearl Chad Smith sig, was the first snare I bought *tear.

I'm looking to get another, I like the crack the CS has but I wanted to get something with more warmth. I have gone through this thread, but was hoping to recieve some opinions of those having played the CS and could offer an opinion on other snares in comparision.

cheers

franklinj

Pioneer Member
Has there been any word on the new Vinnie Paul signature snare? That thing looks frikkin sweet...

I need a realease date and an estimated price range. I think that will be my next snare.

rockitman

PreppieNerd said:
Is there a snare out there with a dark, jazzy tone when hit in the center, but has a sharp, cutting rim shot?
I have just been shipped my new Yamaha Absolute Custom Birch. With it I requested a
an ACB 7 X14 snare. Nice and dark, maybe a little deep for your needs, but also has a great rimshot crack, easy to tune and control, even with the stock Yamaha / Remo ambassador on the batter. What I like most about it is it's tone when played quietly.
If your looking for dark, try a birch snare.

hardhitter

I just got a new Pork Pie Vented Snare! What a Snare! This snare is the best I have ever played. I can't believe it really, no tape or any muffling at all.The rim shots are hits are so loud on this snare ! But it's not cheap at all. I think the list was around 1,100.00 us. I didn't pay that but what a snare !

alberto_marconi

hey guys, i'm needing some help again. i've been drumming for 6 years but i'm quite a newbie when it comes to equipment, and most of the things i know i've learnt from you guys thanks to this great forum. So be sure that your advice will be heard.
This is the deal: i'm looking for a new snare drum, and i kinda got tired of getting cheap used stuff, so i've decided to make an investment on my durumming future. i swear i spent one hour searching through the forum, but i haven't found that much info and need a more "personal" answer.
i've been to the biggest drum store in my city today (i'm from argentina) and tried two snare drums with great interest: the omar hakim sig. and a 1994 used supraphonic. i liked the warmth of the omar, found it very responsive and sensitive and i'm seriously considering buyng it (although it's $ 400, almost two times it's price due to my country's overpricing), but i find the idea of playing a 13 inch snare as a main pretty intimidating. i'm mainly a rock-pop drummer so that gives me a little hope.
the supraphonic is an industry standard as i've heard, and it sunds great. i should have spent more time tying it, but quickly fell for the looks of the hakim's mahogany shell. both cost about the same, so it's a tough choice to make.
any comments? what do you guys think? what should i do?!? i'm kinda desperate here, and they only have one unit of each, so help is needed.
I thank you all in advance!

One Bad Pig

Hey Guys,

I am looking at buying a Mapex Saturn Pro drum set, but I was wondering what the snare drum that it comes with sounds like? Does it also have the two plies of walnut? What heads aound good on it etc

Justin