The Gong

To me, getting air is skating above the coping. What does it mean in the percussion pit?

Don't get me wrong, gongs are super cool. But I have a less popular opinion. To me, gongs are more of a status symbol. A sign that you've "made it".....or that you have extra money to spend, haha.

Have gongs ever been practical outside a symphony orchestra? I'm a practical guy though, and instruments you hit only once during a show don't seem worth it to me.

That being said, if I had plenty of money and already had all the drums/cymbals I wanted, I'd probably get a gong eventually. They look so damn cool behind the drum kit. They'd also make a killer wall ornament to hang behind the couch in the living room.

Don't get me wrong, gongs are super cool. But I have a less popular opinion. To me, gongs are more of a status symbol. A sign that you've "made it".....or that you have extra money to spend, haha.

Have gongs ever been practical outside a symphony orchestra? I'm a practical guy though, and instruments you hit only once during a show don't seem worth it to me.

That being said, if I had plenty of money and already had all the drums/cymbals I wanted, I'd probably get a gong eventually. They look so damn cool behind the drum kit. They'd also make a killer wall ornament to hang behind the couch in the living room.

They started out in East Asian temples and monasteries as ways to get in a meditative mental state.

To me, getting air is skating above the coping. What does it mean in the percussion pit?

yep...or BMXXign above the coping....and hopefully doing a 180 tailwhip into a fakie...

getting air in orchestra is when you go to crash the cymbals together (incorrectly) and get that "thump" or air pocket sound as air gets trapped in between them. Hi hats can get the same sound if they aren't adjusted correctly as well

I looked up gongs, once...had a (rough) size requirement, and then I thought...I need three more jobs.

When I am able to comfortably retire in about 148 years, I'll look into how I'll go about summoning the help.

I use gongs in about half of the musicals I play. Other than in the pit, I never set up a gong with my drum set.

I've bought all of mine used, too, and over the course of many years. Not really a "status symbol" for me--more of a necessary tool. Expensive? Yeah, a few hundred bucks. Not as expensive as a drum set. Or a really nice ride cymbal. Or timpani. Or a glockenspiel. Or a marimba.

I saw Swans a few years back, I was standing front right right in front of the speaker stack. When the percussionist played the gong, the song coming from those speaks was indescribable. A full body experience. I can only imagine what it was like heard au naturale.

I lead a gong-free lifestyle. I've neither the need nor the desire for one. Were I sordidly wealthy, I might use a gong to signal to my domestic staff that I require immediate assistance.

I like the way you think. I too have no wealth in the range of acquiring one, nor the space to house it.
Band dominance is the only reason I could see for bringing one to a gig. With that behind you, your comrades would have nothing less to do than bow in your presence. ?

We had a gong in orchestra and it sounded great the few times used. They never let me have a whack at it-I like you can feel it if nearby. My wife was whacking it while I assisted with other toys (percussion stuff- triangle, etc).

I like the way you think. I too have no wealth in the range of acquiring one, nor the space to house it.
Band dominance is the only reason I could see for bringing one to a gig. With that behind you, your comrades would have nothing less to do than bow in your presence. ?

It's not the gong I can't get; it's the extravagant estate with an army of servants. Without a staff of 352 employees unified by the singular goal of catering to my every whim, a gong wouldn't be much fun.

My first gong love:

35f64683a317cc9bd79b3e94397a77f1.jpg

I was not s drummer at the time so I had no idea a gong was a musical instrument. I just thought it was a loud thing you smashed with a big mallet.

Is that show on anywhere? I'd binge watch that!
There's a Game Show Network on some cable providers that has shown it. Even Prime Video has 1980's Family Feud with Richard Dawson kissing every girl that showed up. He must've been fighting cold sores like a ...

Back