The Gong

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Anybody here have one? What size/brand/style? How do you use it?

Thoughts? Would you do it over again?

I got to play a 50" Paiste Symphonic gong at one of the drum shows I attended in the UK.

Everytime it was nearby, I HAD to play it. There was no choice in the matter. I was in love.

I was hooked hard. Ever since then I have been under the spell of big gongs

It gave me a unique feeling as I listened to it while standing in front of it, that I haven't had before or since. I REALLY dug it. Like I need one of these, it's essential.

I'm not getting it for the music I play, I'm getting it for my own personal wants/needs. I need this sound in my life. It does something wonderful to me.

After listening my ears off online, I just ordered a 34" Chau (symphonic) gong from Gongs Unlimited

Damn good price I would add, $740 USD, which includes 6% tax and $43 or so in shipping. It was $659.00 before shipping and tax. One of my Agop 22" rides was 589 for MUCH less bronze. The gong weighs like 50 pounds. So I thought that was a great price. Paiste is roughly twice the price of GU. Zildjian is more affordable than Paiste. About 1.5 the price of GU. I could have gotten a 30" Zildjian Chau Gong for the same price as the 34" I ordered from Gongs Unlimited.

Sorry Todd I tried to buy from you guys but I didn't see any gongs in the size I wanted

Last edited:

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I'm jealous. I've said before I want to stand directly in front of a gong that just got smacked hard and become enveloped in the sonic massiveness. Live the dream Uncle Larry, live the dream.

Al Strange

I didn’t want one until this morning... 😂 (y)

C.M. Jones

I lead a gong-free lifestyle. I've neither the need nor the desire for one. Were I sordidly wealthy, I might use a gong to signal to my domestic staff that I require immediate assistance. My entire estate could be regulated through the sounding of a gong. The number of strikes would specify my commands. When you oversee an empire, you shouldn't need to speak.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I'm jealous. I've said before I want to stand directly in front of a gong that just got smacked hard and become enveloped in the sonic massiveness. Live the dream Uncle Larry, live the dream.
Sonic Massiveness. Yes. Very good descriptor. It really is an experience standing in front of and experiencing all those glorious vibrations. One guy on a video said it's as if his organs were getting massaged. I'd concur. I think an unassisted orgasm may be achievable with a gong

And Brian you are envious not jealous. Jealousy requires 3 people.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Oh gosh. I think this extended virus lockdown has finally gotten to Larry.

But seriously, I love gongs. I wish I had one. I might buy one someday; (Maybe from Larry when he gets tired of it).

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Oh gosh. I think this extended virus lockdown has finally gotten to Larry.

But seriously, I love gongs. I wish I had one. I might buy one someday; (Maybe from Larry when he gets tired of it).

Actually it was the stimulus check. I figure I'd stimulate a gong purveyor. It was one of those deals where I had one click left to complete the order...and I decided to sleep on it. I woke up and couldn't find a good reason NOT to buy it, so I completed the order.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Actually it was the stimulus check. I figure I'd stimulate a gong purveyor. It was one of those deals where I had one click left to complete the order...and I decided to sleep on it. I woke up and couldn't find a good reason NOT to buy it, so I completed the order.
Hey good point Larry! I just got $600 too. Maybe I'll buy a set of Yamaha Stage Customs........ LOL

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
I LOVE gongs! I have several. Including Chau gongs, Feng gongs, a Peking opera gong, and my most recent acquisition this summer, a solar flare gong!

The rule of gongs is, basically, the bigger the better. They completely envelop the space AND the player, and it's magical.

Check out THIS beauty! I love how the sound "develops," much like when a thinner cymbal opens up moments after you hit it:

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I lead a gong-free lifestyle. I've neither the need nor the desire for one. Were I sordidly wealthy, I might use a gong to signal to my domestic staff that I require immediate assistance. My entire estate could be regulated through the sounding of a gong. The number of strikes would specify my commands. When you oversee an empire, you shouldn't need to speak.
You don't have to be rich. You could still use the gong to convey your orders. An abundance of money isn't required. Just pretending like you have an abundance of money is all that's necessary

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I LOVE gongs! I have several. Including Chau gongs, Feng gongs, a Peking opera gong, and my most recent acquisition this summer, a solar flare gong!

The rule of gongs is, basically, the bigger the better. They completely envelop the space AND the player, and it's magical.

Check out THIS beauty! I love how the sound "develops," much like when a thinner cymbal opens up moments after you hit it:

Several? Envious! The 40" is just otherwordly.

Magical, agreed. That's what I need to hear everyday

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Some of my favorite instruments are nipple/bubble gongs from Indonesia, they are tuned to specific pitches. I played the bubble gong part in Messiaen’s “Oiseaux Exotiques” (exotic birds) in college 4 or 5 times in concerts. Easy part, tons of fun. I’d post a YouTube link to the actual piece, but you can barely hear the gongs in the recordings.

That’s an example. They’re a LOT of fun to play when you have 4 or 5 of them and get them going all at once.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

this thing is otherworldly!!! What was te recording set up for this video?

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
The Gong Chamber in Memphis periodically offers “sonic baths.” My partner has done one: an hour or so of continuous, relaxing sounds from their massive gongs while you lay in a zero gravity recliner.
That's the idea, right there. Minus the zero gravity recliner. Starting off each day with some gong would be a welcome part of the day.

The sound just transports me

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I found a 28” Paiste Symphonic at a Sam Ash A few years ago they sold me for $150. I was hooked then, but what I really want is the 36 or 40 version (which I can’t afford). One day.