The Future of Drumming Might Be Here Already

Will the djembe be electronic?
Actually, they djembe is already electronic. At least some of them are. I saw Vinx perform with Jungle Funk, back in 2000, and he had 5 triggers attached to his djembe. He also had a Wave Drum. And a fairly impressive foot pedal arrangement, with a zip drive.

Actually, they djembe is already electronic. At least some of them are. I saw Vinx perform with Jungle Funk, back in 2000, and he had 5 triggers attached to his djembe. He also had a Wave Drum. And a fairly impressive foot pedal arrangement, with a zip drive.

Isn't it astounding? I really wonder just how far percussion will go. As a percussionist I am already overwhelmed. Imagine 100 years from now with all the intendent electronic advances in everyday life. I think we are at a stage where we simply cannot imagine the future. The basic 2 and 4 will be redundant.

The fact is, no one knows what idea will stick and what won't. Percussion instruments are the oldest musical instruments, and yet the drum set, which is what most people think of when you say "I'm a drummer," is roughly 100 years old in it's recognizable formation...and things like the hi hat pedal are even younger...I want to say around 70 years old.

The Wavedrum is the most responsive electronic instrument I've ever played...a thousand times more responsive than the best e-kits I've tried *(like the TD20, etc). It's simulated djembes, congas, cajons, etc, can be played with the exact same techniques as the actual drums, something that has never been able to be said about an e-drum before. So maybe the actual Wavedrum isn't the future, but the tech there is. Pearl just released an e-kit with full shells, so it has the "sex appeal" of an acoustic kit. It's visually almost the same as any other Pearl kit.

Look at the guitar...in the time since the electric came out, the acoustic hasn't become obsolete, but they have become something that is essential for all guitarists to have both of, and understand the nuances and differences between them. In 1932, the first electric guitar was used...and now it's the most commonly purchased musical instrument out there. Les Paul didn't invent the first solid body one until 1940, and solid body electric guitars weren't commercially released until 1946...so from 1946 until now, the solid-body electric guitar blew past it's acoustic predecessors and became the best selling instrument in America. And yet, back then, a lot of the guys mocked it and said it wouldn't last.

Lovely post that above. Just imagine what independence exercises humans will be doing on the kit 200 years from now.............

What an amazing animal is the human being. We can reach the lowest of lows, but the heights go so far.

Both terrible and beautiful. I am happy to be associated with musicians. At least musicians tend to celebrate the latter more than the former.

Interesting thread.

I don't think electronic drums are the future. No... once 2012 comes there will be an "accidental" nuclear holocaust and the remnants of mankind will rise up to find themselves with an extra pair of arms and legs. It will be then that drumming as we know it will be changed forever! BELIEVE ME! I'M NOT CRAZY!!!!! YOU JUST SIT AND WATCH!!! :)

I don't think electronic drums are the future. No... once 2012 comes there will be an "accidental" nuclear holocaust and the remnants of mankind will rise up to find themselves with an extra pair of arms and legs. It will be then that drumming as we know it will be changed forever! BELIEVE ME! I'M NOT CRAZY!!!!! YOU JUST SIT AND WATCH!!! :)

"Owww .... what the ...? OMG, the world's been blown up. Serious bummer, dude. Whoa ... hey, what's this? Far out, where did all those extra arms and legs come from? Damn, now I'm gunna have to have all my clothes tailor-made ... but wait! ... I can do all these cool polyrhythms ... doo-bap-ta-bappity-bap-bap ..."

I'd love to think that in hundreds of years we'd progress heaps but that would mean perhaps 100 billion people on earth. No trees to make drums with, no oil for plastic, no ecosystems for our food ... nup, something's going to give long before that happens. That's the elephant in the room.

I honestly do not believe the world is going to end until the sun burns out. Early Christians expected the day of judgement to arrive approximately 100 AD. Did not happen. 2012 will pass by, the world will be here. And I think humans will move into space sooner than we imagine.

I honestly do not believe the world is going to end until the sun burns out. Early Christians expected the day of judgement to arrive approximately 100 AD. Did not happen. 2012 will pass by, the world will be here. And I think humans will move into space sooner than we imagine.

I'd like to believe that, Wy, but my logic says that we will populate and consume resources to a point where there will be increasingly intense conflict over what remains. With war comes famine and disease. Such a shame we never worked out how to live sustainably. If anyone gets to space it will be business leaders, politicians and supermodels, not us plebs.

In the shorter term the Wave drum has a number of characteristics that well suit the Brave New World jam packed with people ... 1) It's electronic and hypersensitive which means it can be played almost soundlessly with headphones (once they iron out the bug) and 2) it's small and compact.

This situation we are all in really sucks for me the most since i am probably one of the youngest on the forum and you all get to die before me. At this point in history, you can't really predict whether mankind is going to be a space age empire or an apocalyptic mess. I guess i'll just have to wait and see.

My poor future children...

I had some electronic drums in 1978 and they probably are digital junk now.
I don't know, such a thing might be desirable to a collector. There is definitely a market out there for vintage electronic equipment. There are vintage Moog synthesizers being traded on ebay for thousands of dollars. Vintage electronic drum gear seems harder to come by, but here's an 80s Simmons kit that just sold for $950:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Simmons-SDS-9-D...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item335c9f82af

I don't know, such a thing might be desirable to a collector. There is definitely a market out there for vintage electronic equipment. There are vintage Moog synthesizers being traded on ebay for thousands of dollars. Vintage electronic drum gear seems harder to come by, but here's an 80s Simmons kit that just sold for $950:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Simmons-SDS-9-D...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item335c9f82af

Heck, even the old 808 drum machine used to be made fun of for not sounding realistic enough, and yet now is being used regularly, including for the last two singles by the Black Eyed Peas, which have become the number 1 and number 3 best-selling digital downloads of all time.

Why do I picture thousands of extreme-metal drummers actually looking forward to this?
"Dude, 4 bass drum quad-blasting"

And I was thinking we would be beating on those plastic jugs that would never decompose. ;-}

Leave Pamela Anderson out of this!

LOL.

Heck, even the old 808 drum machine used to be made fun of for not sounding realistic enough, and yet now is being used regularly, including for the last two singles by the Black Eyed Peas, which have become the number 1 and number 3 best-selling digital downloads of all time.

An 808 is practically a must have sound in any studio. They get layered into the sounds of a lot of albums in many different styles.

Back