The First Kit You Got

I only started three years ago I'm 61 but played at school a bit a millenia ago. I bought a cheap Mapex Tornado kit and have started gigging with it...sounds great with better heads etc and I've spent three times as much on good cymbals and Yamaha stands, pedals etc

Last edited:
A MIJ Maxitone blue sparkle 5 piece kit. I loved it! came with LP temple block/cowbell combo. Speed king pedal, New Beat hats, and pre-lable Zildjian ride and crash ( i guess the original A series cymbals?). It was at the top of our budget but they could see what it meant to me to get a real kit.

My very very first kit was a cheap Japanese copy of a Slingerland-type jazz setup that my stepdad bought from a guy for $200. It was in a black diamond pearl wrap, the snare had been torn apart to use as a 14" tom (which sounded terrible), the hardware was sketchy, and the cymbals were the same sort of brass used in curtain rods - 12" hi-hats and a 12" crash/splash/ride. Those cymbals shredded like paper during normal use.

But the snare was a 1960's Ludwig Pioneer in blue duco. Still one of the best snares I've ever owned.

In a couple of years, my folks splurged for Christmas and bought me a Blackhawk kit from the Sears catalog. Not a Gretsch Blackhawk, though; Sears had taken that name and hung it on a Taiwanese generic kit. No matter. I ended up combining that kit and my first kit into a kind of home-improvement, do-it-yourself double bass kit. The picture shown is one of the few pictures I have left of that kit. I sold almost all of that kit in 1999 to buy my current Yamaha Stage Custom, including the Pioneer snare, which by itself netted $500. I still regret letting it go.
I think i had that same Japanese kit with regular snare, same color, my parents got it for me in the mid 60s ,my first kit ,but i dont remember the brand name ?

Mine started with a Ludwig Downbeat snare & stand, then I got a 18" Zildjian ride& stand. I added a Gretsch bass drum and snare which I used as a tom. No hats til I traded the Gretschs in on a new Ludwig 20"/12"/14" Blue sparkle to match the snare, my first real kit.

Some kind of stencil 5 piece kit in brown oyster finish, Tama Swingstar steel snare and bulky cymbals... Got it from my drum teacher in the marching band I played with at the time, back in 1992. Had it for a couple of years, until my dad decided he wanted to get back into drumming after a long break, and bought a Yamaha Power V Special kit in '94, hat I could use whenever I wanted as well. Very nice kit, and quite a quality jump with K Custom and Paiste Sound Formula cymbals. Made practice quite a bit more rewarding.

My first kit was a red and black tiger striped Hohner. POS. A couple years after getting it the grunge era took over and I was playing out with the most 80's looking kit there was. My band was embarrassed but I was young and broke. It haunts me to this day and I only play black or wood grain kits now. I probably should have spray painted it.

Mij stencil kit under brand SwingStar

Neato! Wouldn't that have been considered just a "Swingstar" or maybe even a Tama, rather than a "stencil" brand?

My first set was a very used "Gambles Import Corp." around 1975. Not sure, but I think it was a stencil brand made by Pearl.

It was blue sparkle, with a bunch of decals on it.
I peeled all the decals off, and the blue hadn't faded where the decals were. Really ugly, but they sounded good. I put black contact paper on the shells, and when that wore out I spray painted them red.

Four mounted toms, two floor toms and two bass drums, with a KRUT crash cymbal - the rest were even worse!

my first kit was a piece of shit TKO brand drum set with a crash ride and 14 hats. got the kit in 09 and sold it about 2 months ago. I have upgraded to a Mapex Saturn IV in a transparent mocha fade. all my cymbals are Zildjian except for my 18 Sabian china

First kit was a Pearl Export that my drum teacher picked up for me back in 1988. It came with a Premier 2000 snare, that I still own/love to this day! I traded the export in for a 7 piece monster kit a couple of years later. I’ve owned 3 exports over the years, they’re just solidI, I can get great sounds out of them, and they’ve never let me down. They’re like a good Toyota. ;) I bought my 2nd export some 15 years later as a secondary kit for gigging but it had to go when my son arrived as my wife and I lived in a tiny house. We’ve since been fortunate enough to move to a bigger place so I have rekindled my Pearl relationship during lockdown by investing in a wonderful brand new export double bass effort which I’m hoping to put to good use after CV19 has blown over! :)

I think i had that same Japanese kit with regular snare, same color, my parents got it for me in the mid 60s ,my first kit ,but i dont remember the brand name ?

Mine was a Westwood. But there's dozens and dozens of these stencil brands that came from the same factories at about the same time.

I was 14 and took back the guitar amp package I got for Christmas and went to my local drum shop an md purchased a 250 dollar set of vintage blue sparkle ludwigs (err I think they were ludwigs). The 13” Tom was from a different kit or rewrapped.

The bass drum pedal was a leather strap drive pedal. I broke it nearly instantly.

And then I decided to spray paint it black...

Wish I had that kit and didn’t beat it up like I did.

1986 Pearl Export in black wrap. 12", 13", 16"FT, 22" kick and a 14" steel snare. Pearl single braced hardware and a Pearl strap drive single pedal. Was an excellent kit to start out on. Kinda wish I would have kept it just to say that I had the first kit I ever owned.

Ah yes. My first drum set was a 1964 Ludwig 4 piece in champagne sparkle. I recently learned that a similar kit was played by Michael Shrieve at Woodstock in '69 with Santana! It was a good kit but at the time I thought it was too old fashioned looking. Now I wish I had kept it. 64Ludwig.jpg

I got my first kit in 1988 when I was 12. It was a 1960s era Ludwig Silver Sparkle 4 piece kit. This pic is not my kit but it is exactly what I had (mine had the snare too). As a kid I HATED this drum set because it did not look like what I saw on MTV. The cymbals were some budget-level brass things that didn't sound like cymbals. They were awful. Screenshot_20200813-075057~2.pngI actually sold the kit for like $40 in 1992. Little did I know what it would be worth today!!

My first kit
vintage-red-simmons-sdsv-electronic_1_80b6d89f9a459f1b3f8a762f9232446b.jpg
I was in college, living in a rented room and this was the only thing allowed

Back