The eternal craigslist ads

wraub

Gold Member
You know what I mean-the ones that have the same item listed for months (or longer), the ad never changes, the price never changes, the item sits.
There's a 5 piece MIJ Tama Rockstar on the local CL, listed at $500. It has been listed, no lie, for a year and a half. I notice the ads around it, all from the same seller, all listing the same items for the same year and a half.
This is not an exception, but common around here.

Is it the same where you are?

Last edited:
Gear seems to go pretty quick on my local craigslist but there is one guy who made a pseudo-business in his retirement of low balling other people's listings then making franken-kits out of other people's mismatched junk and reselling them at a premium. Using your example above: he would sell a 4 piece Tama rockstar kit, each with a totally different used banged up head, one drum missing it's wrap, most drums missing the bottom hoops, with a rusted first act hi hat stand, and a set of those brass discs pearl likes to slap their name on and call 'cymbals' to be sold with budget kits, for $400. He sells beat up used remo heads that I wouldn't even give another drummer for free as 'vintage' for $15 for tom and snare heads and $30 for bass drum heads. He currently has a 60s MIJ pearl stencil student level snare drum in pretty rough shape listed for $200 lol.

I once reached out to him as I had a stack of over 20 different Evans drum heads, all in their boxes, all with less then 1 hour of play and no noticable wear, including tom, snare, and bass drum heads, and said he can have them all for $30... He immediately responded and said "not interested, I can't make any money at that price. I'll give you $10 and you have to drive [90 minute round trip mind you lol] to meet me." I never said anything back.

There is one repeat listing I've noticed: for over five years now a guy keeps posting the same listing every few days looking for a supposedly stolen mesa boogie guitar cab and head. Same picture, same story "last weekend I played a gig and it was stolen, blah blah blah", every time. So either 1. This guy refuses to accept the fact that his amp is never coming back OR 2. He is full of crap lol.

Locally, There are a couple of guys with storage units or rooms full of random stuff who post numerous and repeated ads. The ads show basically piles of “vintage” drum gear.
One guy has been posting various sob stories for years in order to lure buyers to his gear paradise. “I’m selling everything as I’ve got cancer and am getting out of the biz. My loss is your gain.” “I’m closing down my family owned drum store after decades in business.” “Moving sale and everything must go since I can’t take it overseas.”

Tiny little Madison, WI CL has a dude in Beaver Dam that always posts drum sets. Mostly beginner/non-named sets. He always has 'em set up. One this week is a Peace 5 pc.
Occasionally there resurfaces the same Vintage "1969" Rogers set for 4000. 24" kicks, Paiste. It's up again.
A guy in Deforest is always selling snares. I think his Premiere 14 x 6 went down from 180 to 125 now ($) He has about six more on there and he was selling some wood snare hoops once.
I keep looking.
Most people don't post sizes. I was thinking about posting a post suggesting they do.
Saw the same mixing board disappear and resurface for twice as much.
Still kinda searching for a beginner set for Rox.

Attachments

• Rogers1.jpg
    Rogers1.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 11
  • Rogers1a.jpg
    Rogers1a.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 11
  • Premiere 14x6.jpg
    Premiere 14x6.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I see this with the Craigslist Musician Community also. Adds for guitarist/drummer/bass, etc. needed that go on for months even over a year. Same exact add. Unless you just popped into Craigslist for the first time in years, why would you bother with answering the same add to join a band that's never found a solution?!

I look daily for lumber etc. and one guy has had a piece that connect the top of two book cases, and it has been there for over a year with no change in price or photos, nothing. Easier just to click re-new than to to edit. Just lazy
I do the same in the Materials section and there are some things that have been there forever. Light fixtures, transition strips, doors, etc.

For a while each day someone was posting Free Firewood. There was a picture of a broken tree stump and a sob story about a thunderstorm. Somebody finally got mad about it and posted a reply stating that no one want to remove their stump for free. The ad never came back.

Oh how I wish CL ads allowed for comments sometimes.

I see this with the Craigslist Musician Community also. Adds for guitarist/drummer/bass, etc. needed that go on for months even over a year. Same exact add. Unless you just popped into Craigslist for the first time in years, why would you bother with answering the same add to join a band that's never found a solution?!
I live in LA and there's been this singer/songwriter searching for a drummer and bassist going on for at least 3 years now! And it's the exact same ad every time. I checked out the links in that ad years ago when I first saw it posted. Wasn't really my style, but it wasn't terrible either. But after 3 years, if he hasn't been able to find anybody, he's either crazy picky or really difficult to work with.

A guy in Deforest is always selling snares. I think his Premiere 14 x 6 went down from 180 to 125 now ($) He has about six more on there and he was selling some wood snare hoops once.
I grew up there. I wonder if my family knows the guy.

I grew up there. I wonder if my family knows the guy.
He's got some nice snares...Always posting 'em. Name's Jim.
Always says "FIRM"
Always pretty informative posts too...
This is for that Premiere:
This is a Premier Genista birch snare drum in a cool black carbon fiber wrap. 6"x14" shell, 8 lug top and bottom, nice smooth Premier logo die cast horizontal snare strainer, very heavy flange counter hoops. Remo USA heads in great playing condition. A gorgeous warm woody tone you will surely enjoy. Without a doubt a seriously high quality instrument. $125 firm. Jim, show contact info
or email.

I live in LA and there's been this singer/songwriter searching for a drummer and bassist going on for at least 3 years now! And it's the exact same ad every time. I checked out the links in that ad years ago when I first saw it posted. Wasn't really my style, but it wasn't terrible either. But after 3 years, if he hasn't been able to find anybody, he's either crazy picky or really difficult to work with.

Need to hook him up with Wailin’ Smash

I often see postings for jobs on LinkedIn and Indeed that have been there, in some cases, for years. And I think, man, there must be some legal or political reason for that job to still be opening. Because there is no way they haven't received tons of applications, and if they've looked at hundreds of applicants and not found one that would be at the very least adequate, well, that's on them.

OK...Is THAT^ ok for me to post here? I mean, I am not giving any information he didn't already give out.

there must be some legal or political reason for that job to still be opening
I think they just collect resumes.
I will be 7 years in November where I am at now and I still occasionally get a "Hey...still looking for a job?" from people who never even bothered to contact me at all in the almost year I needed it.
One recruiter company...I caught the dude lying to me and I addressed HIM.
They (still) keep emailing me (different recruiters) and I already replied to another recruiter there that: this dude lied to me and I find it hard to believe that, were I to be hired by you, my lying to you would not be grounds for my termination without need to show cause, yet YOU lying to ME is OK.
Please do not contact me again. And they still do. Probably because I have a good resume.

Not CL, but this guy has had this Granstar kit with "airplane cases" for sale on ebay for years, I think 5+ now. For the same price, never budging. I contacted him once. Once. He's delusional (about his gear and price). I'm certain he just keeps reposting it to make me eyeroll whenever I do a search for "Granstar."

Theres someone thats been selling 2 Gladstone reissue snares on Los Angeles craigslist for $1100 each for what seems like 4 or 5 years. Not trying to be the price police, moreso just find their perseverance impressive. The price is actually reasonable especially considering how much people ask for the "real" ones on ebay and reverb Do a search for gladstone snares if you want a laugh.

In Portland, I know of a few that have been there for so long I lost track. One listing for Jildjian hihats was there for more than 6 months. Killed me every time I read it. Another seller constantly fills up half the page with brand new Alesis drum parts. Those have been listed for 2-3 years. I can’t figure out if they are the same parts or if the seller buys kits and then parts them out for a profit. Another guy has a studio full of gear that’s been listed for at least two years. Same ad. Same prices.

I always look for people selling "simbols" as I know they with don't know what they have or don't care.
As a Drumsmith, I love to buy "shit kits" like these, fix them up and sell them for cheap to people looking to get into the drumming game or who just want a beater kit for a rehearsal space.

When I come across the people mentioned here, I know to wait them out. Either I'll get lucky or just pass them on.

Back