The eternal craigslist ads

felonious69

Currently trying to work out "going in on" a beginner kit for 8 yr old Rox...but so far I'm the only one going in.
I already got her a pad and sticks, then a snare and stand. Gave her my stock hi hat and hats a couple weeks ago.
But I am not rich uncle...just really cool uncle.

felonious69

So...quick Q
Are Ocean City and Crush good brands?

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I don't look at CL or ebay all that often, but when I do, I tend to notice the same items still for sale. Or for sale again.

There was a used musical instrument store in my area called Jammin' Jerseys. I don't know if they ever sold any of their drum kits. They had a large collection of used kits, from low to high end, from multiple eras. But year after year, the inventory never seemed to change. I mean, like 10 years after I first went in the store, it was the same sets.

I eventually stopped going in, because nothing lever changed. And they seemed very uninterested in selling what they had.

davezedlee

You know what I mean-the ones that have the same item listed for months (or longer), the ad never changes, the price never changes, the item sits.
There's a 5 piece MIJ Tama Rockstar on the local CL, listed at $500. It has been listed, no lie, for a year and a half. I notice the ads around it, all from the same seller, all listing the same items for the same year and a half.
This is not an exception, but common around here.

Is it the same where you are?
i'm pretty sure this is everywhere, except where i am there is one to the north, one to the south, one to the east, and one to the west

since they're all trying to "top post" one another, the same ads get regurgitated every two days, usually for 4 years

this is also a common tactic with "studios", who'll use gear as part of their arsenal, but are always willing to part with it if "the right buyer comes along"

they never do

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
@DrumEatDrum was it their prices or did they maybe have a "side" business?

Their prices were a little on the high side, and they had signs that prices were firm and not negotiable. So it was certainly not a place to go if you were looking for a deal.

I assume they made their money guitars and studio equipment, but I don't know. And even if they did, it seems ridiculous to give up that much showroom floor space to stacks of drums that didn't turn over.

Someone else on this forum once told me the owners had inherited a bunch of money, so the store didn't have to do well to support them (?). But I have no idea.

Regardless of what else they did or didn't do, it was just an odd way to run a business. When I worked at GC in San Francisco way back when, if a drum kit sat around for too long, it was either shipped to another store or discounted heavily.

Mr Farkle

When I worked at GC in San Francisco way back when, if a drum kit sat around for too long, it was either shipped to another store or discounted heavily.
Tangentially related... Many years ago I was at Guitar Center in San Francisco buying strings and my bored, non-musician wife (then girlfriend) filled out a contest entry form ended up wining the grand prize... backstage passes to a G3 concert at the Concord Pavilion and an Ibanez guitar signed by Joe Satriani, Robert Fripp, Steve Vai and Eric Johnson. Fripp signed it “I am not Noah Hunt”. If anyone can elaborate on that I’m all ears. No idea what it means.

We still have the guitar, tickets and a backstage photo with Satriani.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Tangentially related... Many years ago I was at Guitar Center in San Francisco buying strings and my bored, non-musician wife (then girlfriend) filled out a contest entry form ended up wining the grand prize... backstage passes to a G3 concert at the Concord Pavilion and an Ibanez guitar signed by Joe Satriani, Robert Fripp, Steve Vai and Eric Johnson. Fripp signed it “I am not Noah Hunt”. If anyone can elaborate on that I’m all ears. No idea what it means.

Someone with Satriani's management was friends with someone at GC's management.

I only worked there for about a year and 1/2, and I got free tickets to see Satriani three times during my time there.

opentune

Platinum Member
A guy in my area has had a white Tama Rockstar kit for $1200 with a huge self-made metal rack, looks made of muffler piping.
The ad is up since 2013..... renewed monthly. I always wanna ask if he'll take $300 just to get a response. Doesn't he see the other kits coming and going? I think he s just fishing, for years.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Yup, there's a guy who's been trying to sell his Yamaha Absolute Maple for like $3k for many years. I've not seen it in a while, but I know it has been on CL quite a bit.

doggyd69b

I don't look at CL or ebay all that often, but when I do, I tend to notice the same items still for sale. Or for sale again.

There was a used musical instrument store in my area called Jammin' Jerseys. I don't know if they ever sold any of their drum kits. They had a large collection of used kits, from low to high end, from multiple eras. But year after year, the inventory never seemed to change. I mean, like 10 years after I first went in the store, it was the same sets.

I eventually stopped going in, because nothing lever changed. And they seemed very uninterested in selling what they had.
I felt that way going to a Harley Davidson store in NY, I was looking for motorcycle pants, the girl there (a Russian chick) was more interested in talking to her friend than making a sale... I knew from going to HD stores previously (in HI) that the employees were always very dismissive so I just don't go there anymore nor do I buy any HD related anything, why support a brand that has such poor advocates?

wraub

All I have found regarding Noah Hunt is about him working with Kenny Wayne Shepard.

Mr Farkle

All I have found regarding Noah Hunt is about him working with Kenny Wayne Shepard.
The moment I read your post I remembered that the 4th signature is not Eric Johnson, it’s Kenny Wayne Shepherd. Doh! It’s been a long time. Maybe there is a connection there. Thanks for the reminder!