The Drum Modification Thread

My phone seems to only allow me to upload two photos, so here are two showing the difficulties I had with the new lugs not fitting the pre-drilled holes, and the very nearly finished product. All seems good so far, I just need to fit the new hardware, heads and wires. Really happy with how it's turning out.
Still having issues removing the old air vent but may just leave that as is.

Attachments

• _20200524_133917.JPG
    _20200524_133917.JPG
    417.9 KB · Views: 27
  • _20200524_133436.JPG
    _20200524_133436.JPG
    897.7 KB · Views: 27
I would have liked longer tube lugs but was obviously limited by the holes already drilled.

I also found that the pre-drilled holes for the hardware were quite specific, so ended up buying another black panther with chrome hardware, which luckily also came with due cast hoops. Incidentally the spare snare totally matches the hardware from this original one, so that's turned out quite nicely too. Will post pictures of both when fully finished.

I have another idea for the vent. You might be able to get it out with a screw extractor. They are made to tighten with a left turn instead of right. Insert it into the vent from the outside, turning counter (anti) clockwise. It will lock into the vent. Hold it in place with a pair of pliers and unscrew the nut.

If you want to keep the vent I would try a spiral screw extractor with a rag between the extractor and vent. If the vent is disposable, a fluted screw extractor will get you there easily.

Spiral:
14920_5.jpg

Fluted:
SEX5_ProductImage_PrimaryImage_400.jpg

If you do this, dont use the one that just fits the hole. It wont be big enough. You want as big as possible so it grips and not slips.

I put a Yamaha tom tree on a Sonor bass drum. I didn't know not to. :rolleyes:;)

I have another idea for the vent. You might be able to get it out with a screw extractor. They are made to tighten with a left turn instead of right. Insert it into the vent from the outside, turning counter (anti) clockwise. It will lock into the vent. Hold it in place with a pair of pliers and unscrew the nut.

If you want to keep the vent I would try a spiral screw extractor with a rag between the extractor and vent. If the vent is disposable, a fluted screw extractor will get you there easily.

Spiral:
View attachment 92747

Fluted:
View attachment 92748

If you do this, dont use the one that just fits the hole. It wont be big enough. You want as big as possible so it grips and not slips.
That's great, thank you! My birthday is coming up so I may ask for some multi purpose tools that could help with this!

OK so another issue I've now come across is this, which is bothering me more and more...

I've used 2 rubber washers at each connecting point between lugs and shell to give the desired hoop/rod/lug alignment. Unfortunately where the pre drilled holes are slightly oversized, the rubber is being pushed into the hole at points. It's only minor and it doesn't look terrible but doesn't look great either. And I'm sure it's not doing any of the parts much good. Difficult to get a clear picture. May have to try and find some bigger washers (larger diameter). Not sure if that will all make sense, but if anyone has any other suggestions I'd be grateful!

OK so another issue I've now come across is this, which is bothering me more and more...

I've used 2 rubber washers at each connecting point between lugs and shell to give the desired hoop/rod/lug alignment. Unfortunately where the pre drilled holes are slightly oversized, the rubber is being pushed into the hole at points. It's only minor and it doesn't look terrible but doesn't look great either. And I'm sure it's not doing any of the parts much good. Difficult to get a clear picture. May have to try and find some bigger washers (larger diameter). Not sure if that will all make sense, but if anyone has any other suggestions I'd be grateful!

This could start to get bulky (read: more 'ugly' lol) but the first thing that comes to mind it some metal washers? You may literally have to take the drum with you into the store (I've done it many times, usually sparks a fun conversation) to see which size is best. You should be able to find something with a small enough inner diameter that it fits your lug screws and a large enough outer diameter that it helps to evenly spread that tension around the shell. If you know anyone who can weld you can have them tack weld the metal washers on the inside of the shell so you never see them but they still work.

If you are looking for odd and unusual hardware, try McMaster Carr... it's not drum stuff, but it is almost everything else. ;) https://www.mcmaster.com/
Locally, I'd suggest an Ace or True Value over a big-box store, their odd hardware choices are limited compared to Ace, etc. Imo.

If you are looking for odd and unusual hardware, try McMaster Carr...it's not drum stuff, but it is almost everything else. ;)

Yes! My career is in small independent craft breweries... I'm uncomfortably familiar with them haha. Better selection, prices, and customer service then Grainger.

What's their old slogan, "if it's not in the green book, you don't need it!" Or "it doesn't exist!" Something like that.

This could start to get bulky (read: more 'ugly' lol) but the first thing that comes to mind it some metal washers? You may literally have to take the drum with you into the store (I've done it many times, usually sparks a fun conversation) to see which size is best. You should be able to find something with a small enough inner diameter that it fits your lug screws and a large enough outer diameter that it helps to evenly spread that tension around the shell. If you know anyone who can weld you can have them tack weld the metal washers on the inside of the shell so you never see them but they still work.
Haha, yeah bulky is my main concern, but I'd go with 'unique' over ugly ;)
Sounds like a sensible plan, I could probably just take a single lug into the store as that's what I'd be matching to. Not keen on the welding idea to be honest but reckon I can give it a good try finding some metal washers.
Really hope I can make this work, I literally could have bought a decent new snare drum with everything I've spent so far on this, though that wouldn't be half as fun :D

If you are looking for odd and unusual hardware, try McMaster Carr... it's not drum stuff, but it is almost everything else. ;) https://www.mcmaster.com/
Locally, I'd suggest an Ace or True Value over a big-box store, their odd hardware choices are limited compared to Ace, etc. Imo.
Thanks for the link. Very interesting site. Now let me go find some money. My shop will expand.

so I recently stumbled upon a Doc Sweeney snare in Mediterranean Pearl that I thought was really cool. I can't justify spending $700 on a snare and figured it an exclusive color or something. I then saw that Precision offers this exact wrap. I actually found someone selling a 7x14 piece for much cheaper. I thought the color looked off, but chalked it up to bad lighting and bought it. it doesn't look like the wrap I was hoping, but it's still kinda cool. I had this Gretsch Stave snare on the market for awhile, but keep getting low-ball offers so I decided to just keep it and use the wrap on it.

IMG_8397.jpg

I was hoping for this: Capture.PNG

not sure if it faded over time or if they changed their color...

so I recently stumbled upon a Doc Sweeney snare in Mediterranean Pearl that I thought was really cool. I can't justify spending $700 on a snare and figured it an exclusive color or something. I then saw that Precision offers this exact wrap. I actually found someone selling a 7x14 piece for much cheaper. I thought the color looked off, but chalked it up to bad lighting and bought it. it doesn't look like the wrap I was hoping, but it's still kinda cool. I had this Gretsch Stave snare on the market for awhile, but keep getting low-ball offers so I decided to just keep it and use the wrap on it.

View attachment 93601

I was hoping for this: View attachment 93602

That pork pie wrap is cool but honestly your's is a bit more timeless and classy. Good job!

So after many different attempts I've got the drum in a near-perfect condition. The over-sized holes in the shell have been a constant source of frustration and aligning the lugs each time has been quite a painstaking process. There still looks to be a bit of splay. Most of the rods turn pretty smoothly and easily until contact with the rod washers, but a few of them are very tight, I guess suggesting the angle is not right (ie... Splay).
Overall I think it looks cool, but I think I'm about ready to give up on this idea. If ever there is an issue, changing or adjusting the lugs is going to be a massive pain. Basically because they just don't fit properly. It's far from ideal.

I'm thinking I might just go for my original idea of getting a 14x7 birch shell and doing that myself.

Anyone got thoughts on shorter lugs on a deeper drum? Any pros or cons? Just out of curiosity. Dw drums do it (I know they're not tube!)

Aware this may just be rambling, trying to type up while cooking with the girlfriend!!

Attachments

• DSC_0414.JPG
    DSC_0414.JPG
    675.6 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC_0407.JPG
    DSC_0407.JPG
    827.2 KB · Views: 12
  • _20200702_205619.JPG
    _20200702_205619.JPG
    857.4 KB · Views: 10

View attachment 93601

I was hoping for this: View attachment 93602

I like yours a lot better too actually. Just an FYI!

So after many different attempts I've got the drum in a near-perfect condition. The over-sized holes in the shell have been a constant source of frustration and aligning the lugs each time has been quite a painstaking process. There still looks to be a bit of splay. Most of the rods turn pretty smoothly and easily until contact with the rod washers, but a few of them are very tight, I guess suggesting the angle is not right (ie... Splay).
Overall I think it looks cool, but I think I'm about ready to give up on this idea. If ever there is an issue, changing or adjusting the lugs is going to be a massive pain. Basically because they just don't fit properly. It's far from ideal.

I'm thinking I might just go for my original idea of getting a 14x7 birch shell and doing that myself.

Anyone got thoughts on shorter lugs on a deeper drum? Any pros or cons? Just out of curiosity. Dw drums do it (I know they're not tube!)

Aware this may just be rambling, trying to type up while cooking with the girlfriend!!

Ps, here is the final setup, different rubber washer plus larger metal washer between lug and shell.

Attachments

• DSC_0382.JPG
    DSC_0382.JPG
    589.7 KB · Views: 12
  • _20200702_215201.JPG
    _20200702_215201.JPG
    625.3 KB · Views: 12
I like yours a lot better too actually. Just an FYI!

hey thanks! minor hiccup though- one of the lug screws gave me a lot of issues when taking it off. it ended up getting stuck in the lug and eventually breaking inside the lug itself when I was putting it back on. a new one is set to arrive on Monday.

I am new to this forum.
So hello everyone.
I play drums . But collect snare drums. I picked up an about 1960 Slingerland Radio King Super Krupa ,clamshell model. The wrap is red sparkle and perfect. The hardware is nickle . There was no throw lever arm,or bottom hoop. At auction cost $220.00 I buffed the throw and tension sides to near chrome. Replaced all the lugs 3 times @ $50.00 a pop until I had all chrome over brass very clean period correct lugs. Replaced the top and bottom hoops with period correct chrome over brass. The best I could find.
So I now have all in with all the above. Plus snare wires and heads. About$560.00.
Now I knew before I started that the bearing edges might be a problem. As I could tell high spots with my finger.
I can tune the drum and it sounds Pretty good. All the t rod sare even . But the tuning tension using my drum dial is 75 reso. And 85 batter ( reso, Evans 300,batter remo ambasoder)
The drum note on my my tune- bot-big is e3# or f3- f3# depending on my head tension.
I think ,or well I know at some point I will have to have the bearing edges trued and or recut.
Does anyone know any shops in Baltimore,MD. That might do this?
By the time I am done. If I go any further this will be a $700.00 snare build. But it is my crown jewel of my Slingerlands.
Thanx all?

Back