The "drum audition"...for vehicles.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Metros were huge inside for their size, like a Postman Pat van.
I also remember the time I got to drive a Carlton Saloon for a few weeks, the boot was huge.
I used to work in Vauxhall garages so you may, or may not, be envious to learn that I had the use of a succession of Nova GTEs in the late 80s and early 90s.
Got a soft spot for Vauxhalls, really easy to maintain and not too expensive if anything goes wrong. Mines an Astra Estate turbo diesel. Ex paddy wagon so goes like stink!

Woolwich

Silver Member

I preferred it in white, I also got to use a red one like this and a metallic grey. As you can tell they left a mark on me :)

danondrums

Many years carrying around a standard 4 pc kit with 22" kick drum. :)

Someone once even tried to break in as I came back to a mangled door lock. Even the old mechanical technology was top notch.

222838_1049581478803_5445_n.jpg

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
It's bigger inside than it is outside. Haha.
View attachment 89469
That's so true. I looked into trading my Civic Si in for a Fit when they first came out. The salesman showed me the how the entire inside basically folds up upon itself and becomes the floor. It was huge in there, like twice as much room as the Civic. I'm pretty sure I could have parked the Civic inside the Fit if I wanted.

I ended up passing on it, I didn't want a new car payment again. It sure was tempting with all that space though.

Juniper

Gold Member
I drive a Mazda 2 Sport.

Looks a lot smaller from the outside than it actually is. With the back seats down I can fit quite a lot of gear in it - if it's packed right.

I've managed a 5 piece, two cymbal bags, 4 snares and full range of hardware all in bags on a few occasions.

Attachments

buddhadrummer

That's so true. I looked into trading my Civic Si in for a Fit when they first came out. The salesman showed me the how the entire inside basically folds up upon itself and becomes the floor. It was huge in there, like twice as much room as the Civic. I'm pretty sure I could have parked the Civic inside the Fit if I wanted.

I ended up passing on it, I didn't want a new car payment again. It sure was tempting with all that space though.
The Si was a cool car. We drove our Fit fully loaded 3,000 km all the way across China and back. Each way took 7 full days of driving and I never once felt fatigued from the car. The configuration of the rear is brilliant. It also has the 60/40 split rear seat, plus the rear seats fold up so you can stand tall items on the floor in the back. Plus the front seats go all the way back. I also like the fact that when the rear seats they fold down there's no bump, the floor is completely flat. Lot's of leg room, I'm almost 6' and plenty of room in both front and back seat. Honda reliability is unbeatable. I buy for function and reliability.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
After the S14 I picked up a Mazda5/Premacy. It was a great gear hauler. The back 2 rows of seating folded flat, similar to the Fit, and it made a decent camper too.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
15 years backward, I owned a small car : a Citroën C3, a very small car, 3,85 meters. It appeared that this car was perfect for drum kit transportation. The trunk was really deep and you can separate it in two floors thanks to what was called a moduboard. I could put most of the hardware underneath this board, put it back on. The floor was flat then, and I could load the shells easily.
I was able to load comfortably a full big Tama kit, 22 12 13 14 16 plus snare and all the hard for 6 cymbals. alla the hardware secured underneath and all the shells on top.
Small and economical, yet clever.

m_ORPHEA_105286_1.jpg
2011051916581415.jpg
m_coffre_25.jpg

Last edited:

Drumolator

Platinum Member
We have a Honda Fit and a Buick Encore. Even though the Encore is a bigger car, the Honda has more room for gear. If I am just taking drums, I drive the Buick Encore. If I need to also take PA gear, I drive the Honda Fit. Peace and goodwill.

Woolwich

Silver Member
I use my BMW M Sport Touring for drum carrying/kids carrying/wife carrying....................

BMW f31 320D M Sport by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

& this for when I only need to take my snare drum :ROFLMAO:

22310488_10155198826983869_3819336082260830680_n by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
That reminds me, I’ll be around on Saturday with your set lists. Hand writing them on vellum was the easy part, it was getting the supply of gold leaf so that the ornamental calligraphy looked right which took the time.

Seafroggys

Silver Member
Sorry, my neighbors growing up had one of these, and seeing that picture just brought a ton of nostalgia to me.

Anyway, I can fit 4 piece sets into my 1990 Corolla just fine. The hard case on my Sonor 2001 is a bit too big to fit through the door, so if I ever gig with those I have to borrow my dad's truck. I also have a 22x18 with my acrylic set in a soft case, yet I have yet to see if that would fit, but alas I just bought a new car so it's not worth trying at this point.

I just bought a 2020 Corolla, the trunk is huge so I should be able to fit both hardware cases into there no problem, which will leave just the drums for the interior....I may be able to fit all the shells in the back even! Which means I can take a passenger up front with me, which means groupies.........or so we can hope.

Lee-Bro

That UniMog is great! Can you imagine pulling up to a black-tie event at a country club with that?

"We look forward to performing at your event. As a reassurance of our professionalism, we transport our equipment in a Mercedes."

Woolwich

Silver Member
I must admit my 5 piece kit has a 20 bass drum, and a 14 floor tom. If it was 22 and 16 I probably couldn't squeeze it all in the boot. Carpet goes flat on the floor. The bass goes face down behind the back left seat. Cymbal bag lays flat on the bass drum. Floor tom goes in the left wheel well. Hardware case rolls in along the right hand side, front to back. Mid tom goes in right wheel well. Snare case sits on the hardware case and small tom goes in last in the centre. The folding trolley lays across the small drums near the back. I'll try and get a photo...
Here’s my attempt ahead of tonight’s gig.
If the bass drum was less than 16” depth then like you I’d be able to put my cymbal bag on top of or underneath it, as it is it’s just a fraction too much and it pops the parcel shelf out of place. The drum rug is in the back of the car because it’s rolled, also there are my spare snare drum and the 10” Tom. I’m glad I tried this and surprised how much fits in with the bass drum in the boot, if I was using a 4 piece, no spare snare and heading to a gig with a carpeted stage area I could literally drive there and back with the kit completely out of sight. Not that I ever leave my drums in a vehicle overnight but it’s an option if bad weather or extreme laziness set in.
3B249FD5-5398-4BEC-80AB-975F4C1F037A.jpeg