The Cymbal Factor

MikeM

Platinum Member
Okay, hate to be a stooge for a cymbal company, but Sabian has these prototypes called Aero Crashes (or something to that effect). They're like a continuation of the Ozone/Holy China and Zildjian EFX concepts. They take an Xplosion crash and drill a bunch of small holes in it, and, and... and they're pretty cool - I want one! Help them not get voted off the island by participating in their little game. I think the 4 prototypes still standing at the end of this will go into production - they started at 12 and they're down to 10.

http://cymbalvote.com/

Sure thing. As I'm sure you know, even if they don't win, Sabian is such an awesome company that you could just ask them to make one for you.

Sure thing. As I'm sure you know, even if they don't win, Sabian is such an awesome company that you could just ask them to make one for you.
You're right, I forgot they'd do that. Those cymbals sound pretty cool. I like all of them that Bozzio's playing on his video.

Is this really a MikeM thread? ..........or does Sticks4drums have a silent hand in this shameless free Sabian advertising???

Sticks4, I demand you hand my friend back over to me (I'll pay good money......Mike is certainly worth a rescue from the "dark side of Canada") and stop with these cheap marketing ploys!!

What was that old DK album? Give me Zildian or give me death?? (although, I have started to aquire a few Paiste's too)

Yet try as I may....no Sabian. What does THAT tell you blokes?? :) :) :) :) :)

PS: Just for you mate. The swiss cheese cymbals have received a "Pocket vote" (in fact, I cheated....I even voted twice!!).....against my better judgement, of course.

Last edited:
Is this really a MikeM thread?

PS: Just for you mate. The swiss cheese cymbals have received a "Pocket vote" (in fact, I cheated....I even voted twice!!).....against my better judgement, of course.
LOL!

Wow, I can't believe I started this thread. I feel so used and dirty like a cheap easy date! Oh well, at least I got your two votes. Now I can take a shower, seek the required counseling, and be done with it!

You know - what do I care? I have a couple Xplosions and a drill. I should just lock this thread and take those cymbals out to the garage! I have a bandsaw too, maybe I'll take all my Sabians out there and go nuts. Couldn't hurt, right? I mean, it's not like they're my Zildjians or anything ;-)

Edit: I thought about trying to blame Sticks4drums, but everyone already knows he's out mowing lawns (with a John Deere no less!) to pay for his new Ludwigs.

Last edited:
LOL!

Wow, I can't believe I started this thread. I feel so used and dirty like a cheap easy date! Oh well, at least I got your two votes. Now I can take a shower, seek the required counseling, and be done with it!

You know - what do I care? I have a couple Xplosions and a drill. I should just lock this thread and take those cymbals out to the garage! I have a bandsaw too, maybe I'll take all my Sabians out there and go nuts. Couldn't hurt, right? I mean, it's not like they're my Zildjians or anything ;-)

Edit: I thought about trying to blame Sticks4drums, but everyone already knows he's out mowing lawns (with a John Deere no less!) to pay for his new Ludwigs.

Hmmmm.......used, dirty, cheap and easy.......sounds like every bird I've ever dated (Mrs Pocket being the standout exception, of course!!).

Q. How do I make my Sabian cymbals sound decent?
A. Drill massive swiss-cheese-like-holes in them!!

I'm sure that sage advice comes directly from somewhere on the Sabian website.

Yeah, Sticks4.....big kits, big tractors....all he needs now is the biggest name in drums and he's home and hosed. :)

Hmmmm.......used, dirty, cheap and easy.......sounds like every bird I've ever dated (Mrs Pocket being the standout exception, of course!!).

Q. How do I make my Sabian cymbals sound decent?
A. Drill massive swiss-cheese-like-holes in them!!

I'm sure that sage advice comes directly from somewhere on the Sabian website.

Yeah, Sticks4.....big kits, big tractors....all he needs now is the biggest name in drums and he's home and hosed. :)

Both of you know he will have to be medicated after he reads about the inhuman fate that awaits those poor cymbals.Drill bits,bandsaws,and possible waterboarding?A cruel fate indeed.

HMMMMMm sounds like a plan to me.....I'm off to the attic. I have at least 2 Sabians that I can clean in the dishwasher,and after that,some orange paint,then maybe its off to the trap range.....PULL!

Steve B

D'oh! I didn't know Sticks was schilling for Sabian, too! As it turns out, I guess we DO have something in common. Though, now that I've sold off my Saturns and since replaced them with inferior, amateur drums - Ludwig Classic Maples - I obviously have no right to own Sabian cymbals, either. Bummer. :(

I haven't heard those effects cymbals but they sound cool. <-- There...I stayed on-topic.

I would like to see Sabian advertising more towards jazz players. I was excited when I got to see that we could vote on the new models, but I found all of them to be much too loud for jazz. They obviously do an excellent job with new and innovative sounds, as well as sound for louder playing, but they're lack of lighter cymbals and jazz cymbals keeps me with Zildjian. I did like the Zen China though.

I do feel quite dirty for listening to them but meh.

I liked the Aero crashes. Good concept, better than the Meinl "There's not much metal IN this cymbal" crashes. The Zen China was bit meh and that three stage Hi Hat thing? I did that as a piss around a few months ago, never knew someone would actually make one...

And hey Sticks, try not to sodomise anyone with your drum sticks after reading the thread haha.

I was going to say:

Based on the few samples I've heard of your playing, Mike, you can't have a cymbal with holes in. It won't last. And unless you're secretly an endorser, you can't afford to keep replacing the suckers!

But then I clicked and saw Ray smacking it, and OK, so it won't break right away. But then again, Ray doesn't pay for cymbals anymore. LOL.

I was going to say:

Based on the few samples I've heard of your playing, Mike, you can't have a cymbal with holes in. It won't last. And unless you're secretly an endorser, you can't afford to keep replacing the suckers!

But then I clicked and saw Ray smacking it, and OK, so it won't break right away. But then again, Ray doesn't pay for cymbals anymore. LOL.
I've wondered that with the Ozones, but these holes are so little and cute... and the one Ray was playing seemed so monstrously cool... Terry's sounded pretty great, too. But yeah, the holes weakening the cymbal, gotta worry about that at least a little.

I'm thinking that after 20 years of playing my broken cymbal stack with its trashy harshness, that something smoother is in order, but am having trouble going back to a china cymbal. That's why these vented cymbals are seeming so attractive to me atm.

And to think I asked MikeM for Zildjian Advice! Sabian??? I thought you were cool man, what happened??

And to think I asked MikeM for Zildjian Advice! Sabian??? I thought you were cool man, what happened??
It's okay, others have made the same mistake! :p

As much as I like Zildjian and will give them the nod most of the time, they're not nearly as innovative as Sabian. I like what Sabian does, and to my way of thinking, they have the "right" corporate philosophy (always improving and striving for new ideas, willing to take custom orders, customer service, etc), but as much as I like all that, there's something in their fundamental process that makes their cymbals seem a little dull when compared to Zildjians - to my ears, anyway. The flip side is Zildjians can sometimes sound harsh or shrill. I also wish they would encourage thinking outside the box a little more often.

It's almost as if they don't have any drummers running the business and are just coasting along like another legendary American company that makes things for drummers.

FWIW, I'm about 60% Zildjian, 40% Sabian.

Despite you guys sayin the holes won't make it last, I would totally buy some of those HHX compression hats. they sound insane! I'd love to try a 13" pair...

I've wondered that with the Ozones, but these holes are so little and cute... and the one Ray was playing seemed so monstrously cool... Terry's sounded pretty great, too. But yeah, the holes weakening the cymbal, gotta worry about that at least a little.

I'm thinking that after 20 years of playing my broken cymbal stack with its trashy harshness, that something smoother is in order, but am having trouble going back to a china cymbal. That's why these vented cymbals are seeming so attractive to me atm.

If you want to get an even better idea of what they sound like with a band,and played well.there is a Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers vid on youtube.The tune is "You Wreck Me Baby",with Steve Ferrone playing his Caddillac green Gretsch kit and using all Sabians,especially what looks to be an 18"Ozone crash.It sounds awesome.Kind of like a hybrid crash/china.Sorry I don't have the link,but its easy enough to find.

Steve B

If you want to get an even better idea of what they sound like with a band,and played well.there is a Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers vid on youtube.The tune is "You Wreck Me Baby",with Steve Ferrone playing his Caddillac green Gretsch kit and using all Sabians,especially what looks to be an 18"Ozone crash.It sounds awesome.Kind of like a hybrid crash/china.Sorry I don't have the link,but its easy enough to find.

Steve B
I found a couple videos of that song, including the one with the green Gretsch, but I couldn't tell when he was hitting his Ozone. Almost doesn't matter, though, because his crashes are trashy enough for me to consider them instead! I think they're HHX Xtreme crashes. Very cool.

Is this really
Yet try as I may....no Sabian. What does THAT tell you blokes?? :) :) :) :) :)

That you have crappy taste in cymbals. :p

Mike my friend. Have you tried the ozones at all. They sound great. Like a clean china. They don't blow your head off either.

D'oh! I didn't know Sticks was schilling for Sabian, too! As it turns out, I guess we DO have something in common. Though, now that I've sold off my Saturns and since replaced them with inferior, amateur drums - Ludwig Classic Maples - I obviously have no right to own Sabian cymbals, either. Bummer. :(

I haven't heard those effects cymbals but they sound cool. <-- There...I stayed on-topic.
Just think. If you change your cymbals to Zildjian, then you will really have an average sounding kit. :p :) Just kidding guys. Honest.

Back